Reducing size of Packages fold

perrybucsdad

I have a bit of a problem... TRS2019 is a resource hog on my hard drive... currently it is using 240GB of space, of which packages is 194 GB.

Is there an easy way to thin this down other than using the horrible content store interface to uninstall things? If it had a search feature it might be better.

Is there a way if I know some of the largest files I can figure out which route/module/etc they go to? For example, I know 1106.tzarc, 519.tzarc, etc all are larger than 10GB each... so how do I figure out what those belong to so I can remove those?

Thanks!

Since SP1 for TRS22 most of the packages that compressed even more to reduce the space (some DLC packs aren't repackaged for the new format.)
Here is the complete DLC list that you can use to find and delete the DLC packages https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:In-game_Downloading#Complete_DLC_Listing

Just make sure to click so you can expand the list under Complete DLC Listing:
+ Click to show/hide full list by Resource ID SC025-SC399
+ Click to show/hide full list by Resource ID SC401 onward

Another way to reduce the space with the original format is to compress the packages folder. To do this you would to go where you are storing your Trainz content at. You'll have to chose if you want to compress your entire Trainz content folder or just the packages folder but the process is the same.

I'm going to be using the packages folder for this example.

Right click on the folder > Properities > under the General tab click on the Advanced button > check the box next to 'Compress contents to save disk space' > Ok > Apply > select compress this folder, subfolders, etc (should be default) > Ok. Here Windows will start to process the compression which can take some time depending on the size of your content folder size and if you are using a HDD or SSD. Then click on Apply > Ok to close the properities window.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

You are right, the content store could use some work. But there is a search field so just start typing the name the item you are looking for and the filter will filter them down as you type. That's actually quite easy.. but that seems obvious.. am I missing something? Admittedly, the time it takes to "officially" Uninstall items is unbelievably long... Total agreement on that!

It does take a long time when you have tons of content installed and you use the content store to uninstall something. This is when I'll still do the TANE era by going into the packages folder, delete the DLC that way and run a database update as its still the quickest way to remove DLCs.

Cheers

In addition to compressing your data, you can also reduce the number of backups that Trainz creates.

On the Launcher, click on Trainz Settings.
Click on Dev tab.
Reduce the number of backups to a value you feel is useful. The default is 7-days, not necessarily consecutive. After the 7th day is reached, the oldest day is removed.

These backups can be quite substantial if you have been editing lots of large routes and sessions and updating content. Every time you edit, update, or delete and asset, Trainz creates a backup. In some instances, this adds up pretty quickly and I have seen my backup folder reach well over 10 GB!

With that said, use Windows File Explorer, or whatever you use on the Mac. Navigate to where your Trainz data is installed and delete the oldest backups manually. This won't hurt and will give you some needed space. When I clean up the data myself, I generally keep a few days delete the remaining ones.

And isn't it correct that these "backups" don't restore correctly anyway at the current time? I've seen several threads about a restore of the backup's not working. In such case backups should be "0" and you should do your own backups (which should be done anyway in case of disk crash.)

My trainz 22 content folder is 350 gb on a 1tb m.2. I am compressing the content folder, just to see if i lose performance. If it stays the same, I will compress my games in the future.

Your databases are tiddlers, mine weighs in at 982gb

I can beat that with mine weighing in at 2 TB. I've been cleaning up stuff recently that's no longer used or needed since these were mostly dependencies for routes no longer installed.

Ya mine use to be about 800 GB. I exported all the 3rd party routes that i would actually use. Then i wiped trainz and painfully installed assets that were needed. It took me 3 days. Now my content folder is 350 GB, Then i compressed the content folder and saved another 30gb. I didn't notice any performance loss, But i did expect the compression to free up more space. So I ended up compressing all my games MSFS, Xplane 12 as well, and the space added up.

Ya mine use to be about 800 GB. I exported all the 3rd party routes that i would actually use. Then i wiped trainz and painfully installed assets that were needed. It took me 3 days. Now my content folder is 350 GB, Then i compressed the content folder and saved another 30gb. I didn't notice any performance loss, But i did expect the compression to free up more space. So I ended up compressing all my games MSFS, Xplane 12 as well, and the space added up.

That actually makes sense because Trainz content is already compressed, and you can't compress data that's already compressed down. What's being compressed now are probably things such as the scripts and the database files.

Back