Train Drivers

rhban

I noticed the other day that, for the first time, all my drivers had their own names in Map View. This is definitely a step forward, but I still wonder why they messed with the drivers in the first place when they were working on so many other complicated things. The animated portraits are utterly creepy, and most of us don't use them, but we still have duplicate driver portraits.
On the route I am currently working on, I have four pairs - 8 names, 4 pictures. I note these are all female drivers, so this looks like a sexist issue (that was a joke!).

The 3d animated drivers sure are creepy! You can change them to 2d still images by clicking on the gear icon in the lower left corner and then unchecking the box called "Animated Portraits which is found under Driver Portraits.

You can change your drivers out to any one you want from the massive list of drivers we have in Trainz.

I have gone one step further and have created my own driver icons.

Instead of a graphic image of a person, I use a simple (non-animated) graphic showing just the number of the loco being driven (e.g. 201) and I set the driver name to the same as the loco number (e.g. Driver T 201). This makes it very easy to identify a particular loco from the driver list and a lot easier than trying to remember names.

Driver-List.png

I like this idea and will have a think about incorporating into my session.
I have gone one step further and have created my own driver icons.

Instead of a graphic image of a person, I use a simple (non-animated) graphic showing just the number of the loco being driven (e.g. 201) and I set the driver name to the same as the loco number (e.g. Driver T 201). This makes it very easy to identify a particular loco from the driver list and a lot easier than trying to remember names.

Driver-List.png

I already said that most of us don't use the animated portraits. Sure there is a long list of drivers, so why do I get the same portraits for different names? It only seems to be with relatively new, female names.

I quite like it, but I suppose over the years I've grown attached to these fictitious faces.

Here is a fictitious one I GIMP'd from a photo of my cat.

Lillian64.png

She looks good in the drivers seat of a Pacific class steam loco.

The image you create must be 64 pixels x 64 pixels in .jpg or .tga (better) or .png (even better) formats.

Find an existing installed driver character asset and open it in explorer to see the files you will need (the 64x64 image itself, a .texture.txt file, a thumbnail and a config.txt file).

Open the .texture.txt file to see its very simple contents. Then open the config.txt file to see the tags needed.

I have just added a Wiki Page on this topic - see https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Create_a_Driver_Character

Last edited:
Back