UK Trainz DLC – developing the range

What's the cab like on the new Class 11? That's the major problem with those derived from the PikkaBird original loco. Unless you have the older Eldavo payware class 08.

As a Cab it would be fine however there is a horrible rendering issue in TRS22, shadows flashing all over the place.

With respect chaps, I think you're missing the point. Yes, Gary Green's reskins are an improvement on the Pikkabird original. But it's still a 20 year old model, even if it's dressed in nicer clothing. And even Gary's best efforts cannot compare with the latest PBR textures (which, frustratingly, we see on the class 11). I think Zec's response was just depressing as it suggests N3V are not going to develop these models beyond their niche. Ho hum! :(

Paul

Hi Paul
Please don't take my comment as we won't ever do it! When I recommended the 11, it was very much with the mindset of it being a start point that we can build upon :)

But one of the issues we do see is that a 'good' freeware model tends to negatively affect even a brilliant payware model, and it does make it harder to justify. We've seen this a few times with both community content, and with our own content, and it has meant that we will generally try to focus on items that either haven't been done, or were done an extremely long time ago.

Right now the first thing we plan is more Class 11 liveries (including the possibility of some preserved versions, I was impressed by how many heritage railways have operational or nominally operational 11s!), and then we can look at more options over time. :)

It's worth noting that the 11 is a much easier project to start with as it does have relatively few variations across the class. OTOH from the research I did, there are a huge number of variations to the 08s and choosing which ones to cover is a challenge in itself (beyond just the basic 'stock' ones at least), let alone the livery options.

Regards

With respect chaps, I think you're missing the point. Yes, Gary Green's reskins are an improvement on the Pikkabird original. But it's still a 20 year old model, even if it's dressed in nicer clothing. And even Gary's best efforts cannot compare with the latest PBR textures (which, frustratingly, we see on the class 11). I think Zec's response was just depressing as it suggests N3V are not going to develop these models beyond their niche. Ho hum! :(

Paul

Greeni's 08 is a new - albeit not PBR - model.

If you were to be looking at the 08 and its many variations both in lvery and refurbishment there are also the 25 mph regeared 09's to consider including those rebuilt in later life from class 08's for EWS (later DB Cargo) to enable them to operate outside of yard environments on the mainline.

Shameless push for green mk1s... but seriously, having tried the Class 11 it's a lovely model, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing what else N3V come up with.

I agree that base models that can be expanded with liveries is a great starting point, perhaps a class 09 or class 12 could be developed?

Cheers,

PLP

Greeni's 08 is a new - albeit not PBR - model.

Yes, quite right and I don't want to disrespect Gary's model, which as you say is not a reskin of the Pikkabird version, but a new mesh and textures. Here's the comparison:

52549617386_9310547cff_h.jpg

Gary gave us a great model class 08 back in 2013, but nine years later I would like to see a version making full use of PBR textures and the new game engine we've had since TANE. Which is why I think N3V should have commissioned a class 08 rather than a class 11.

Paul

Don't forget this Victorian variant
f211_oct_7_1985.jpg

which was originally this
f211_nov05_1982.jpg

:p:hehe:
VR Hump Yard trimmer

Last edited:
Plus Gary's version of the green 08 carries it's TOPS number but I think they were all blue by 1973.

There were dozens in green livery with TOPS numbers, including 08335 above. The last 08 to go blue was 08934 in June 1980. There were a few repainted back into green, such as 08531, the Liverpool Street pilot that lasted well into the 1980s. There were even a few pre-1957 black liveried locos until the mid-1970s, but none with TOPS numbers.

There were dozens in green livery with TOPS numbers, including 08335 above. The last 08 to go blue was 08934 in June 1980. There were a few repainted back into green, such as 08531, the Liverpool Street pilot that lasted well into the 1980s. There were even a few pre-1957 black liveried locos until the mid-1970s, but none with TOPS numbers.

But even so they can't be used in any route dated earlier than 1973!

A couple of issues I've come across in the Class 11 (had to double check as I thought my eyes were playing tricks!) is the Amp and speedometer display which inexplicably partially rotates as seen in the below video and the duplication of the controls:

KkDBLrC.jpg

It seems the reverser, brake and power handle all duplicate themselves when used.

Cheers,

PLPhttps://imgur.com/ND7ICPi

Last edited:
A couple of issues I've come across in the Class 11 (had to double check as I thought my eyes were playing tricks!) is the Amp and speedometer display which inexplicably partially rotates as seen in the below video and the duplication of the controls:

It seems the reverser, brake and power handle all duplicate themselves when used.

Cheers,

PLPhttps://imgur.com/ND7ICPi

Both problems also noted here, plus some weird shadow effects causing lines all over the place in the cab.

Hi Malc,

Yes I also get the weird shadows on the pipework etc. Some work left to do for N3V and Iliosin but a good starting point nonetheless!

Cheers,

PLP

The shadows and the control duplication are because the interior has outside visible from cabin set to true so everything appears twice once from the exterior mesh and once from the interior. Changing it to false should fix the issues. I'm amazed this wasn't spotted during testing...

Hi Ed,

Thanks for that, seems like an easy fix for Iliosin. Unfortunately whenever I try to do it the interior becomes faulty with CM stating none of the textures can be found, but I've no doubt that now the fault has been identified an update will be forthcoming!

Cheers,

PLP

Hi Guys
For these cab view issues, currently you will need to make sure you have the loco selected (ie the camera focused on the loco) before going into the cab view; this is due to the exterior having a 'low detail' version of the cab visible when in the exterior view, and a script to hide this when you go into the cab view. We are looking at options to make the script to hide the 'exterior' version of the cab model more robust when you go into the cab view, as there are a lot of assets that rely on this functionality to allow you to see the actual locomotive outside of the cab.

Regards

Back