Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Trainz DLC – developing the range

I've been reading this thread over the last few days while thinking about the general principle of UK DLC and yes, there is very little UK DLC available. I have Trainz+ but not the gold version as the DLC doesn't appeal to me, being mainly US or Aus and my interests have always been mainly UK with a little recent foray into eastern Europe. I already have the vast majority of UK diesel and electric locos from the DLS although some of these models are old. A set of detailed and high res Mk1 coaches in BR blue and grey with interiors that allow watching the world go by from inside would be amazing, as others have pointed out, these were the coaches of choice on loco-hauled services for decades.

PFX has pointed out that he cherishes the Railwaves DLC from a long time ago, I purchased the class 220 Virgin Voyagers/Electrostar/Turbostar 220/378/170s as well and would purchase more models if they what I want so N3V are missing a trick.

This is my must-have list; on other words DLC I would definitely purchase:
    • AC EMUs - most are on the DLS but I would love a class 303, 309 or 312
    • Original Blue Pullman
    • 1st generation DMUs and the SR 'Thumpers' (Class 203 etc)
    • The ubiquitous Desiro (class 444/450) which forms the majority of trains where I live in Eastleigh.

Kind regards,

Gary

Thanks Zec for your reply to my message. Some immediate responses:

Quote Originally Posted by ZecMurphy View Post
    We do hope to expand upon these items in the future. For example we are looking at additional liveries of the Class 11...
    There aren't that many liveries - the 106 locos in BR service were black then green. Unless you want to include the ones that were sold on to the National Coal Board after the class were withdrawn in 1972. (I don't believe that any made it into BR blue and none received TOPS numbers.)

Quote Originally Posted by ZecMurphy View Post
    For the class 08, we've had a lot of feedback saying that there's good 08s available...
    Really? You think this is an adequate model for the latest versions of the game? (comparison of class 11 with 20 year old model of class 08 in TRS22)
    [IMG]2022-11-30-002315 by paulsw2, on Flickr[/IMG]

N3V can't have it both ways - offering an improved game engine with dramatically improved graphics, PBR textures etc. but expect us to accept 20 year old models to run in this game. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how good the 'surroundings' look, we have to have up to date models to run in the game. Other SIMS offer this, why can't N3V do the same?

Paul

There are some much better and more recent Gronks on the DLS by Gary Green.

The class 11s could also wear LMS livery, WD livery and were also used Europe (NS, DSR) and Australia (VR), so that adds a few more liveries and potential markets.

There seem to some huge missed opportunities for liveries though, and I hope N3V do release more versions of all these models. I for one will be more than happy to pay for them.

The greenigronks are a vast improvement on the original model and he's done quite a few variants and liveries if you're looking for a decent version Paul.

What's the cab like on the new Class 11? That's the major problem with those derived from the PikkaBird original loco. Unless you have the older Eldavo payware class 08.
    Making slow progress on a number of prototypical UK routes

Quote Originally Posted by stovepipe View Post
    What's the cab like on the new Class 11? That's the major problem with those derived from the PikkaBird original loco. Unless you have the older Eldavo payware class 08.
    As a Cab it would be fine however there is a horrible rendering issue in TRS22, shadows flashing all over the place.
    Malc

With respect chaps, I think you're missing the point. Yes, Gary Green's reskins are an improvement on the Pikkabird original. But it's still a 20 year old model, even if it's dressed in nicer clothing. And even Gary's best efforts cannot compare with the latest PBR textures (which, frustratingly, we see on the class 11). I think Zec's response was just depressing as it suggests N3V are not going to develop these models beyond their niche. Ho hum!

Paul

Blog Entries

Hi Paul
    Please don't take my comment as we won't ever do it! When I recommended the 11, it was very much with the mindset of it being a start point that we can build upon

But one of the issues we do see is that a 'good' freeware model tends to negatively affect even a brilliant payware model, and it does make it harder to justify. We've seen this a few times with both community content, and with our own content, and it has meant that we will generally try to focus on items that either haven't been done, or were done an extremely long time ago.

Right now the first thing we plan is more Class 11 liveries (including the possibility of some preserved versions, I was impressed by how many heritage railways have operational or nominally operational 11s!), and then we can look at more options over time.

It's worth noting that the 11 is a much easier project to start with as it does have relatively few variations across the class. OTOH from the research I did, there are a huge number of variations to the 08s and choosing which ones to cover is a challenge in itself (beyond just the basic 'stock' ones at least), let alone the livery options.

Regards
    Zec Murphy

Customer Support Rep
    N3V Games (Auran)

*Please do not use Private Messages for support. Support can only be provided via the helpdesk, or via the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsw2 View Post
    With respect chaps, I think you're missing the point. Yes, Gary Green's reskins are an improvement on the Pikkabird original. But it's still a 20 year old model, even if it's dressed in nicer clothing. And even Gary's best efforts cannot compare with the latest PBR textures (which, frustratingly, we see on the class 11). I think Zec's response was just depressing as it suggests N3V are not going to develop these models beyond their niche. Ho hum!

Paul

Greeni's 08 is a new - albeit not PBR - model.

If you were to be looking at the 08 and its many variations both in lvery and refurbishment there are also the 25 mph regeared 09's to consider including those rebuilt in later life from class 08's for EWS (later DB Cargo) to enable them to operate outside of yard environments on the mainline.

Shameless push for green mk1s... but seriously, having tried the Class 11 it's a lovely model, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing what else N3V come up with.

I agree that base models that can be expanded with liveries is a great starting point, perhaps a class 09 or class 12 could be developed?

Cheers,

PLP
    Building the Swanage Railway for TRS22.

Quote Originally Posted by 2995Valliant View Post
    Greeni's 08 is a new - albeit not PBR - model.
    Yes, quite right and I don't want to disrespect Gary's model, which as you say is not a reskin of the Pikkabird version, but a new mesh and textures. Here's the comparison:

Gary gave us a great model class 08 back in 2013, but nine years later I would like to see a version making full use of PBR textures and the new game engine we've had since TANE. Which is why I think N3V should have commissioned a class 08 rather than a class 11.

Paul

Plus Gary's version of the green 08 carries it's TOPS number but I think they were all blue by 1973.

Don't forget this Victorian variant

which was originally this

VR Hump Yard trimmer
    Last edited by grazlash; December 8th, 2022 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peterwhite View Post
    Plus Gary's version of the green 08 carries it's TOPS number but I think they were all blue by 1973.
    There were dozens in green livery with TOPS numbers, including 08335 above. The last 08 to go blue was 08934 in June 1980. There were a few repainted back into green, such as 08531, the Liverpool Street pilot that lasted well into the 1980s. There were even a few pre-1957 black liveried locos until the mid-1970s, but none with TOPS numbers.
    Making slow progress on a number of prototypical UK routes