Dead in tow steamers

So is there a way to convert a steam locomotive to a dead in tow state? i know there was a way in ts12, but im not sure how to do it in trs19

The process is the same in TRS19 as it is in TS12.

You can clone an asset by highlighting the engine and pressing CTRL+D at the same time and then you can then edit this copy and make the changes you want.

Once the asset is cloned, press CTRL-N to bring up a new content manager window and change that view to show open for edit.

If there are no other open for edit assets, you'll see your "New Asset".

Right-click on that "New Asset" and choose Edit Configuration file.

This will bring up Notepad.

Make the changes, just like in TS12 and be sure to change the username too to reflect the changes in the asset.

Save the file and exit.

Once done, submit the engine by right-clicking on it and choosing Submit from the menu.

Barring any serious errors, your new towable loco is ready.

Open the config.txt file of your cloned version (as described above).

The working loco will have something like the following (example shown is a steam loco):-

Code:
username                             "SAR T Class Loco No 202 Narrow Gauge 3ft6in"
kind                                    "traincar"
trainz-build                           3.7
engine                                 1
enginespec                           <kuid2:126323:51253:1>
enginesound                         <kuid:126323:53253>
hornsound                            <kuid:126323:54253>
interior                                <kuid:523:55540>
script                                  "steamloco_acs"
class                                   "Steamloco"

(plus several smoke tag containers)

There will also be a "category-class" tag which begins with an "A" (e.g. "AS" for steam) and defines the asset as a locomotive of various types.

Edited (dead) version will look something like:-

Code:
username                             "SAR T Class Loco No 239 (not operating) Narrow Gauge 3ft6in"
kind                                    "traincar"
trainz-build                           3.7
engine                                 0
enginespec                           <kuid2:126323:51253:1>
interior                                <kuid:523:55540>

(also delete the smoke tag containers, you can also delete the enginespec tag. The category-class tag can be left unchanged)

The above example worked well for me. Once you have cloned the original asset there is no danger in experimenting with the tags in the cloned version - at the worst you can delete the clone and try again.

In T:ANE it was necessary to delete the "Interior" key to keep the interior camera from bouncing into the cab, in my one essay at this same thing with a diesel switcher. Is that also true in 19 and 22?

:B~)

In T:ANE it was necessary to delete the "Interior" key to keep the interior camera from bouncing into the cab, in my one essay at this same thing with a diesel switcher. Is that also true in 19 and 22?

I just jumped into the cab of one of my dead steam locos and moved around the cab using the Trainz Plus camera point of view controls. No problems. It worked exactly like it would in a live steam loco.

I just jumped into the cab of one of my dead steam locos and moved around the cab using the Trainz Plus camera point of view controls. No problems. It worked exactly like it would in a live steam loco.

Just so. However, if dead in train, as you move up and down the consist, the internal camera will eventually jump into the cab, which I find extremely distracting and totally unuseful in driving the session, because then you have to find your way out again with the resulting delay. If you're shunting, it could be damaging to equipment and bystanders. Removing the Interior key prevents that.

im having issues, so can i change the category class to rolling stock? if so whats the tag for rolling stock? still get errors on most steamers i comvert to dead, but still working through them.

ok so, it seems it works with steamers that dont have a lot of custom scripts such as the jmb challengers from trainz forge, but im hoping i can figure a way through that.

im having issues, so can i change the category class to rolling stock? if so whats the tag for rolling stock? still get errors on most steamers i comvert to dead, but still working through them.

Category-class - TrainzOnline (ts2009.com) This might help.

ok so, it seems it works with steamers that dont have a lot of custom scripts such as the jmb challengers from trainz forge, but im hoping i can figure a way through that.

You'll need to yank out the script references. Make sure you remove all references to the script(s) because there's an include function and then the script itself. Referencing the script and then not including the script can cause an error.

Should have mentioned, to get that same effect I changed the "Enginespec" key to point to the Default Wagon KUID, <kuid:-25:42> default wagon. See if that'll work.

Back