Hundreds of Trees Obsolete?

boleyd

N3V has Marked a TANE Conifer as obsolete. I had used this asset in several routes. Now each is a sea of red. This asset is one of several receiving the obsolete status.

I am prevented from doing a REPLACE because the assets have been removed. I would estimate two to three days work planting new trees where each red marker is present. Is there any way to resurrect Obsolete assets for the purpose of replacement? I am not seeking any graphics but just the descriptor or whatever it is called.

I checked other routes and only this one is involved. I can live without it. It is just the principal of deleting assets that may be heavily used in customer routes. Maybe a new status that allows replacement despite the loss. I am also concerned that someday other assets, that are widely used, may also see the same fate if they can't be adapted to the new graphics and management requirements.

Last edited:
An asset being marked as obsolete just means that there is a newer version available on the DLS. If you download the newer one by mistake, it "may" replace all the old versions with itself if it is compatible to your version of Trainz. The simplest way to deal with this is to find and delete the newer version. It should be the same kuid as the older asset with a +1 in the version area.

I've had this before, what you can do is make a fake tree.

1. Find a workable asset, like a pole or similar tall skinny thing.
  2. Open it for editing in content manager using "show in explorer"
  3. Go up one level and copy/paste the asset folder to your desktop.
  4. Open the config.txt on your desktop copy and change the KUID to the KUID of your missing tree.
  5. Save the file.
  6. Drag and drop that folder from your desktop to content manager
  7. Revert the asset you copied to original.

Tada, all your wayward trees are now your new phony tree, which means you can now find a suitable replacement and use the bulk update to swap them.

Last edited:
Probably opened the Speedtree library is open for edit or modified and needs to revert it to original, nothing needs replacing.

If he is getting red boxes on all trees that would indicate a faulty library as in he's overwritten it or opened it for edit not obsoleted or deleted.

You can also find a newer tree that looks like the older tree, and then use the technique Frogpipe mentioned above to clone the good tree and give it the KUID of the bad tree.

A lot of work to please the N3V database management program.

You would think a company desperate for user content to stay afloat would make it easier.

Theres probably a good reason, if the original assertion is true and it's not a local game database error or similar.

Expired licensing, copyright claims, whatever the cause I'm certain nuking an asset isn't a step taken lightly.

Funny enough, I feel that way about the latest file formats and PBR textures - for me at least it significantly raised the hurdle to clear, and depleted my interest in participating in content creation.

Obsolete is terminus technicus in TRS while some may use it to express that trees are faulty? My thoughts...

Obsolete = a newer version is already installed
Newer version available = a newer version is available at the DLS or in a package, but it isn't installed

Peter

Boleyd, if you would post the KUID of the specific tree, it would help to determine the issue. It sounds like it may be something other than simply obsolete?

Obsolete = a newer version is already installed
Newer version available = a newer version is available at the DLS or in a package, but it isn't installed

Correct. But an asset that has been made "Obsolete" does not mean it has been removed. It has been replaced by a newer version in your copy of Trainz. If you delete the newer version then your copy of Trainz will use the previous version instead and it will be labelled in CM as "Installed from DLS, Newer version available".

I have since changed to the speed trees which look much better than previous to 2019 versions.Thanks

if these trees are the speed trees then the speed tree library are in content manager. unfortunately the item cannot be submitted( tried several times). wasn't fond of the movement but some of the trees looked pretty good.
just curious are supposed to get rid of them . seeing all this red is really not pleasing. i have two possibly three groups of small trees that i use as fillers along the front edge of the tree line. there are about 10 trees and they conform to the terrain really well. haven't a clue of the origin or age. i don't know how to do a scree shot or i would send them off in the hope of maybe resurrecting them . their kind of neat.
thanks
ejb

Back