ATLS Self Build Level Crossings Orientation and Setup Help

pogbellies

Hi I have a few problems remembering how to build these. I am using the following assets:

• Controller Slave asset attached to the track (pointing at the crossing).
  • ATLS UK MCG LH5
  • ATLS UK MCG RH5
  • Traffic Stopper (attached to the road but not the track)
  • TRS19 Triggers x 4
  • Plus associated lights and signs

I've also tried the SCG 1 and 2 with the same orientation problem.

I have set the channel to the same number on the assets (except the Traffic Stopper which doesn't allow a channel to be set).

The issues are:
1 I am struggling to orientate the gates and set the correct angle in relation to the track, where is the red arrow supposed to point? For the sake of ease lets say the road crosses the track at 90 deg.
2 The crossing is not working anyway regardless of orientation. The lights activate but thats about it.

I've read Boatztrainz guide but it doesn't seem to cover the separate assets in much detail.
Any help much appreciated.

With the older ATLS system (I haven't used the combined controller slave) with separate slave and controller, one must connect the slave to the stopper, otherwise the stopper is not activated. One did not connect the slave to the track as that might cause a collision with the Invisible Train. Perhaps that's what's happening here.

:B~)

Hi pogbellies,

I have an ATLS crossing set up similar to what you describe, only using the single gates. You can see this all in the image below. The red arrows on the gates will be the position they end up in when closed to road traffic. It took me a while to work this out. The slave (running under the track here) needs to be connected to the traffic stoppers and you need to make sure you've set all the different elements to the same channel. Also make sure you have level crossing mode selected on the controller.

I use the 4 trigger method to control crossings, so I'd position two either side of the crossing, then another two much further out to ensure the gates close before a train reaches the crossing.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
Innis

52511502516_e4b5df5573_h.jpg

With the older ATLS system (I haven't used the combined controller slave) with separate slave and controller, one must connect the slave to the stopper, otherwise the stopper is not activated. One did not connect the slave to the track as that might cause a collision with the Invisible Train. Perhaps that's what's happening here.

:B~)

Thanks - I think this was the bit I was struggling with, as far as I can tell you can only use the combined Controller Slave with the pre-build crossings so it wasn't working on the separate components.

The red arrows on the gates will be the position they end up in when closed to road traffic. It took me a while to work this out.

Thank You! That is a massive help.

Do you also have two traffic stoppers or is it just the route of the invisible track?

Lastly why the four trigger method, is it more reliable or just as its a single track crossing?

Thanks again

He has two stoppers but you don't need two because you will find some longer ones that cover wider sections. These can also be set up for sloping roads
<kuid2:134105:50030:2> ATLS Traffic Stopper - Rollable
<kuid2:134105:50037:2> ATLS Traffic Stopper - 32m Rollable
<kuid2:134105:50032:1> ATLS Traffic Stopper - 12m Rollable
<kuid2:134105:50033:1> ATLS Traffic Stopper - 16m Rollable
<kuid2:134105:50031:1> ATLS Traffic Stopper - 8m Rollable
I think you mean slave trigger which is combined but no longer uses the invisible loco.

He has two stoppers but you don't need two because you will find some longer ones that cover wider sections. These can also be set up for sloping roads

I think you mean slave trigger which is combined but no longer uses the invisible loco.

Thanks I shall try the 12m and see how that does...

In TRS19 its definitely showing as "ATLS Controller/Slave TRS19" kuid2 76656 500041 7. Looks like chequerboard direction marker with a square on the fat end!

Thanks all.

That seems to have more or less got it, thank you. Now the only issue is that the gates cross each others path when opening and closing, I've tried setting a 4 second delay on one of them but it doesn't seem to do anything and lastly I have a crossing next to a station, any idea how I can get it to open for road traffic when a consist is in the station and close when it moves off?

Yes, my picture above includes traffic stoppers but the screenshot has failed to display them.

If all your trains are going to stop at the station, then place your activation trigger between the train stopping point and the crossing. The further you can get it from the crossing, the better. The alternative is to use train priorities and an additional trigger. If you assign stopping trains as priority 2, set a third trigger between the end of the platform and the crossing and set it to priority 2. A trigger further away from the crossing set to priority 1 and 3, or whatever combination suits your operations, should activate the gates for non stoppers.

Hope that makes some sense?

Yes, my picture above includes traffic stoppers but the screenshot has failed to display them.

If all your trains are going to stop at the station, then place your activation trigger between the train stopping point and the crossing. The further you can get it from the crossing, the better. The alternative is to use train priorities and an additional trigger. If you assign stopping trains as priority 2, set a third trigger between the end of the platform and the crossing and set it to priority 2. A trigger further away from the crossing set to priority 1 and 3, or whatever combination suits your operations, should activate the gates for non stoppers.

Hope that makes some sense?

Thats great, thank you.

There is an old ATLS demo on the DLS I made some time ago which does exactly that.
You will need to name the black and yellow inverse slaves for them to work in later versions of TRS.
4 trigger allows for the return state to operate earlier.

Last edited:
Back