HD Terrain Discussion Thread

How soon can we expect to see this feature?

Will it work in both surveyors? Or just S2.0? I'm still going back and forth between the two as I adjust to the new way of building.

Thanks, excited for this feature.

Hmmm, let me rephrase the question

Will we be able to go back and forth between S1 and S2 once a route has HD Terrain? If I convert or create a route with 3D Terrain, can I still open it in S1 to perform certain functions?

Thanks

I'm not interested in this feature , so i cancelled my yearly Trainz Plus Gold membership .

I am not understanding this. You don’t have to use it when creating routes and if you do create routes with it, it makes things easier to place. Sounds like it will be coming to Trainz 22, which you do have in your timeline, which I think is good as it allows retail users to enjoy the routes created with this. I’m all for this.

I am not understanding this. You don’t have to use it when creating routes and if you do create routes with it, it makes things easier to place. Sounds like it will be coming to Trainz 22, which you do have in your timeline, which I think is good as it allows retail users to enjoy the routes created with this. I’m all for this.

I got tired of being N3V's guinea pig since the past years . I just don't trust in them anymore .

Hmmm, let me rephrase the question

Will we be able to go back and forth between S1 and S2 once a route has HD Terrain? If I convert or create a route with 3D Terrain, can I still open it in S1 to perform certain functions?

Thanks

OK, fair question, I'll assume that since the routes can be run in TRS22 which lacks S2.0 that the route format will work in both Surveyors at least as far as being visible. Tony seems to hint that development is still at the stage of testing the conversion of routes to this format. It is very possible that the modification of tools in S2.0 to edit the HD terrain is still a Work In Progress. I use E-onSoftware Vue which uses tessellated ground planes for creating hi-rez terrains. They render pretty quickly and look great but are not the easiest object to edit with Vue's tools. I'm interested in seeing what the Brew Crew come up with to edit these terrains.

patiently waiting to try this out. ive been holding back on making a proper thread for a large route project of mine because a lot of areas could use the features about to be added. we did ask for this, after all.

This is a very interesting / important development. Will probably force me to use S2.0 more! With the launch of the new UK DLC, this will probably persuade me to renew my Gold + membership for another year.

Paul

This development is so far the only thing that would tempt me to use 2022 and subscribe , I've bought 2022 , with no bells or whistles , but its sitting there waiting for me to have a good reason to use it, i just bought it to support NV3 and to take advantage of a free 30 day FCT as mine has expired..

This is good news...great to see Trainz innovating! I just resubed on the Gold level (or whatever heck it is called a few weeks ago} and this feature makes me feel like I made the right call.

If I had to guess I would say that since Tony said that overhangs still will not be possible that textures will still be stretched but given that the resolution is so high I think the stretching will be much less noticeable. Now in Vue, the tessellated terrains have a built in LOD system whereby terrain close to the camera is very high resolution but further away the number of triangles drop off sharply. Of course, in Vue you are using procedural textures rather than textures based on images. I have never seen any stretching of textures in Vue. Of course, Vue is a highly sophisticated program meant to do one thing, create highly realistic scenery for 3D animations and is no way near real time. Images can take hours to render per frame.

I don’t think you can assume a high resolution grid will reduce texture stretching. Hi-res ground would allow gradients to get even closer to true vertical, so if the texture is still projected vertically down, it would be even more stretched, not less. Let us hear the official response, not guesses.

Will the snowline bug in TANE, TRS19/22 be fixed in HD terrain?

This issue came up in another thread, but I will add it here, so it's not ignored.

There has been a bug in the way seasonal groundtextures respond to the snowline setting, going back as far as T:ANE (2015?) I think. Will it finally be fixed with the advent of the high-definition terrain grid?

By that I mean, will groundtextures once again obey the season-selector code in the same way that objects have always done and no longer treat the snowline height as if it is always zero, regardless of the value set in the Environment panel?

I don’t think you can assume a high resolution grid will reduce texture stretching. Hi-res ground would allow gradients to get even closer to true vertical, so if the texture is still projected vertically down, it would be even more stretched, not less. Let us hear the official response, not guesses.

If HD terrain is still using planar projection then I will be very disappointed. But the sample images don't seem to support your guessing that it does.

Edit: Found this on the official HD Terrain page.

• Good-bye Artifacts
    Smooth Diagonal Texturing means you can avoid those square looking ground textures.
    High Resolution Blends avoids blurry transparent ground texture blends.
    Cliffs / Cuttings / Embankments benefit from increased polygons to avoid unrealistic terrain and no more parallax artifacts on acute camera angles!

Last edited:
I already decided to renew my plus (plus standard as it's now called) for another year and HD terrain will be my renew present! LOL
I put this feature in my Santa's wish list since TRS2006.

Will anything have to be changed when creating a route via TransDEM? Is the extra height data interpolated between known points or is there actually extra data that is being used? If so where do I get that data? I was about to start a new mountain based route and this HD terrain will be a game changer that will postpone that route. As long as I don't have to manually adjust any height values, this will be just wow.

Will anything have to be changed when creating a route via TransDEM? Is the extra height data interpolated between known points or is there actually extra data that is being used? If so where do I get that data? I was about to start a new mountain based route and this HD terrain will be a game changer that will postpone that route. As long as I don't have to manually adjust any height values, this will be just wow.
TransDEM will have to be updated to create more height points in ground files. The DEMs that TransDEM uses, already has enough resolution.

Is this feature (HD Terrain with 0.12M brush) available already? I see that's announced on Trainz Plus site and I have 119450 build of TP but nonetheless I can't see any changes on texture / terrain brush, there are still only two options: 5M and 10M...

Back