Extremely Frustrated

perrybucsdad

I am new to Tranz, and I am extremely frustrated by hug buggy the software seems, specifically the DLC's. I have a number of sessions that I paid for that just don't work. One I just paid $20 for as I can't seen to do much with the basic system. I have both Trainz 2022 and Trains 2019 plus a First Class Ticket.

Take for example, when I load up "Fall harvest - Nebraska" in T22, here is what I see (see image). I don't see any faults for the route in My Content, but I have so many of these routes/sessions that just start with some BS like this where no driver is available to be selected and no train is selected.

I had the same issue with another route and I filed a technical support ticket and the answer was basically yep, we know about that but we don't have a fix for you.

Do any of you know what to do? I am so frustrated by this I don't know what to do.

Sorry, I wanted to post the image, but it won't let me for some reason... says my message is too long.

Because Trainz is constantly evolving, my advice would be to use the route in the version of Trainz it was released in and intended for. That way it is almost guaranteed to work properly. Fall Harvest Nebraska was released in TANE and should be used in that version. There have been many changes to the way Trainz works between TANE and TRS22.
For images, upload the image to the Trainz Gallery and then follow the intructions for posting screensots, found at the top of the screenshots thread.
cheers

Thanks grazlash.... I guess I am so used to using Flight Simulator since the 1980s that I just expect these things to work. I find it amazing they sell stuff that doesn't support their latest version.

So how can I get this to work in TRS19? I thought I only have to buy things once, but when I open TRS19 up and look at the Content Store, it says I have to pay for it (yes, I am logged in with the same user account that TRS22 uses).

perry --

Can I make a couple of suggestions?

Until you decide whether you like Trainz or not, give up on DLC.

Instead, try downloading a few routes and sessions from the Download Station.

Go for routes and sessions which use only built-in or Download Station content. That way you don't have to search to the far corners of the Universes for missing dependencies.

There are a few of us who do follow this rule. For starters you might like to try:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...l-railroad-quot-The-Port-Loleta-Railroad-quot

Can I assume you know the basics of Content Manager?

Phil

Last edited:
DLC should work in the release version and every subsequent version, so TANE DLC should work fine in TRS19, TRS22 or Trainz Plus. That said, there is a package "TANE Additional Assets for TRS19" that is required.

If that isn't the problem. I suggest uninstall and reinstall the DLC in question.

Also, ensure you're not using the same local data folder in multiple versions of Trainz.

I think that package is in the Content Store where payware is listed. Additional TANE assets fir TRS19.

Tony, DLC Sessions are broken, I complained of the same problem with Appen in TRS2019 SP5. In T:ANE, they were broken because switches and signals didn't work, but in TRS19 SP5, as Perrybucs Dad says, the same sessions start with no driver for the train, and no way to assign a driver, even though that used to be a part of the session. So, you can't even run the sessions.

Tony, DLC Sessions are broken, I complained of the same problem with Appen in TRS2019 SP5. In T:ANE, they were broken because switches and signals didn't work, but in TRS19 SP5, as Perrybucs Dad says, the same sessions start with no driver for the train, and no way to assign a driver, even though that used to be a part of the session. So, you can't even run the sessions.
That is the reason I said it is better to use the route in the Trainz version they were released in.

Yes, but for Appen, they were broken there too, just in a different way. Nothing fixed in either version.

Take for example, when I load up "Fall harvest - Nebraska" in T22, here is what I see (see image). I don't see any faults for the route in My Content, but I have so many of these routes/sessions that just start with some BS like this where no driver is available to be selected and no train is selected.

I just installed and ran "Fall Harvest - Nebraska" on Trainz Plus and I have none of the problems you describe. All 3 sessions have all drivers available and all of them can be selected. I have not run all 3 to their conclusions but all seem to be working perfectly.

So something else must be causing this issue. A faulty/corrupt Trainz install??

My observations.

I just installed and ran "Fall Harvest - Nebraska" on Trainz Plus and I have none of the problems you describe. All 3 sessions have all drivers available and all of them can be selected. I have not run all 3 to their conclusions but all seem to be working perfectly.

My observations.
Did you by chance have 5 missing Davesnow assets?

perrybucsdad -
You'll find a lot of sessions that don't work well, even paid content. What causes a lot of this is that N3V codes the game and most of the content (almost all) is made by people just like you and i. They make a route/session based on one version of Trainz and then N3V changes things and some of the scripts (also created by users) don't work properly. This is the nature of the beast.

My recommendations. As was said above, don't buy routes/sessions. Seek out quality freeware from the Content Station (Content Manager.) Be willing to "give up" quickly on any route you download. Problems are just not worth the frustration
- OR -
Operate Routes/Sessions just as you would a model railroad. That is.. just start with the route and add your power and consists to the route yourself (making your own "session"), then run your own operating session. This is a lot more fun anyway I believe. It makes you focus on learning the route so you know the industries to be served and such. A few good routes that you "know" is a lot more fun that a lot of troublesome routes that you don't know.

As you progress in making your own sessions you can then learn how to use driver commands to automate things, use portals, etc. To me, making sessions is a lot more fun and educational than simply running someone else's session.

To get started just try routes/sessions, note the creator name, and just run the ones that work well. Forget the others. Then seek out other routes that are done by your favorite creators. Just because a Route looks neat or has a great name, it doesn't mean it's going to work well or that it's even worth the download. In Trainz you must be highly selective.

But I do suggest trying the "make your own session" approach. Open any route, place your trains and such, save a "start" session, then drive your train- switching, serving the industries, etc. If you save a session in progress don't over-write your original starting session. You can then run the starter over and over.

Hoping things work out for you..

Last edited:
Thanks all, and I appreciate the suggestions. I started to go for the paid DLC since I figured it would work. I had tried some of the free stuff on the Download Station, and the few I tried didn't work as expected. Maybe I need a lesson in what I should be looking for there. I know there have a been a few times when nothing is returned such as when I limit it to just TRS19 items.

This "Additional assets" package you mention I will look for. Why didn't they just package that as a patch like most software developers would do?

As far as building my own sessions... well, I would, but I don't even know where to start (for lack of a manual). I tried to do this, and was just overwhelmed with not knowing what to do. Is there a manual someplace, or a "how to" document on doing this? I think that is the greatest failure of Trainz is that there is not a manual anywhere.

And don't get me started with the content store. Every time I download something it has an error.

My observations.

The sessions in Fall Harvest do not work. I'm running TRS+ Gold membership. They start fine, but problems start cropping up as you move along the session.

There is an updated version of Fall Harvest for TRS19 ( https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?150295-Trainz-Route-Fall-Harvest-Nebraska ) that has been finished for a long long time but surprisingly not released. I have enquired about it on a number of occasions. Still in testing from what I can gather.

Those error msgs when you download from the store are an error in themselves. Do NOT "retry" - just hit "cancel" (or whatever if says) and the button will change to "Installed" - This is the type of thing I don't understand. How N3V can allow a false "error" msg and leave it that way for what seems years...

You can check installs by going to Content Manager and sort by date. But better yet, just check the "Installed" fliter when viewing your in game routes. If it has a problem there will be a yellow or red icon on the route thumbnail.

As for sessions. You can start really simple. Just place a train or two. I'll see if I have the time later to do a step by step for that.. You basically go to into the game (Driver/Surveyor) and set Source filter to "Installed" - Pick a route and click the thumbnail then on next screen "Sessions" click "create Session" - The route/session will load with just a "blank" route.

Now lets use "Classic Surveyor" to place a train. Hit the Gear/Scewdriver icon at top of screen and "Edit in Surveyor Calssic" - Click on the "Handbrake Wheel" at the very bottom of the icons on the right hand side. It will open with individual cars/loco's selected. At the top click the "other" icon that looks like 2 short cars and available consists will show. First time you do this it may take a while to load and cache. You should see some "Kickstarter" or "KSC2" consists. These are the consists used on those Routes but you can use them anywhere. So pick one like "SP Local freight" - On this same window the "+" (plus) should be highlighted showing it is selected. That means "add". So now place your cursor anywhere on any track on the route. The consist will appear there. Now go to the Gear/Screwdriver icon again and click "Drive Session" - Unpause the game and you have a train to do with whatever you wish. If you want to save this "session" to use again with consist there and ready to go just save the session. (Save - Create New Session)

I think I did that without leaving out steps... try it.

Once you are able to place trains and drive to service your industries and such you'll want to learn Driver Commands to automate things. You can view the commands of existing sessions by going into Surveyor again and on the Pen and Paper icon at top select "Edit Session." You'll see various commands for that specific session. Reviewing an existing session is a good way to learn...

Of coure, you may be happy just placing consists around on a route as "eye candy" and simply driving a train doing your work. Or, you can make a complex session with dozens of trains coming here and there working all on their own.

Last edited:
perrybucsdad,
Try looking at routes by philskene. Most are in TRS2019 which is what I use. You can pull them up in the Content Manager by author's name. The sessions work for his routes and the operations are up to you on how to complete them. You have directions to follow, like head to the mine and pick up the loaded cars, and spot them on the ferry barge. The assigned tasks always make sense and there are always several of them, so you have to plan out how you want to complete all of them. How you complete the assignments is up to you. Hit M to get the map and then you can plot out your moves. Some industries are not interactive, so you do have to go into Edit Trains, and "load" or "unload" train cars, but others are interactive.

I've always gotten a real sense of accomplishment when I finish the sessions that philskene includes. The routes are beautifully done. I hope that is helpful.

Regards,
Heinrich505

perry --

Can I make a couple of suggestions?

Until you decide whether you like Trainz or not, give up on DLC.

Instead, try downloading a few routes and sessions from the Download Station.

Go for routes and sessions which use only built-in or Download Station content. That way you don't have to search to the far corners of the Universes for missing dependencies.

There are a few of us who do follow this rule. For starters you might like to try:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...l-railroad-quot-The-Port-Loleta-Railroad-quot

Can I assume you know the basics of Content Manager?

Phil

Phil, I have downloaded this Route and sessions. In reading for session 1 it says that you have to add coal and water to the locomotive before starting. How do you do that?

Those error msgs when you download from the store are an error in themselves. Do NOT "retry" - just hit "cancel" (or whatever if says) and the button will change to "Installed" - This is the type of thing I don't understand. How N3V can allow a false "error" msg and leave it that way for what seems years...

You can check installs by going to Content Manager and sort by date. But better yet, just check the "Installed" fliter when viewing your in game routes. If it has a problem there will be a yellow or red icon on the route thumbnail.

As for sessions. You can start really simple. Just place a train or two. I'll see if I have the time later to do a step by step for that.. You basically go to into the game (Driver/Surveyor) and set Source filter to "Installed" - Pick a route and click the thumbnail then on next screen "Sessions" click "create Session" - The route/session will load with just a "blank" route.

Now lets use "Classic Surveyor" to place a train. Hit the Gear/Scewdriver icon at top of screen and "Edit in Surveyor Calssic" - Click on the "Handbrake Wheel" at the very bottom of the icons on the right hand side. It will open with individual cars/loco's selected. At the top click the "other" icon that looks like 2 short cars and available consists will show. First time you do this it may take a while to load and cache. You should see some "Kickstarter" or "KSC2" consists. These are the consists used on those Routes but you can use them anywhere. So pick one like "SP Local freight" - On this same window the "+" (plus) should be highlighted showing it is selected. That means "add". So now place your cursor anywhere on any track on the route. The consist will appear there. Now go to the Gear/Screwdriver icon again and click "Drive Session" - Unpause the game and you have a train to do with whatever you wish. If you want to save this "session" to use again with consist there and ready to go just save the session. (Save - Create New Session)

I think I did that without leaving out steps... try it.

Once you are able to place trains and drive to service your industries and such you'll want to learn Driver Commands to automate things. You can view the commands of existing sessions by going into Surveyor again and on the Pen and Paper icon at top select "Edit Session." You'll see various commands for that specific session. Reviewing an existing session is a good way to learn...

Of coure, you may be happy just placing consists around on a route as "eye candy" and simply driving a train doing your work. Or, you can make a complex session with dozens of trains coming here and there working all on their own.

I will give your steps a try. I don't know what "Classic Surveyor" means and some other things, but I will fiddle around.

We were all where you are right now, perrybucsdad.

Time patience and experimenting are the biggest part of the package. Trainz isn't your normal "game" and is more like a real model railroad except it doesn't take up any real physical space not counting the cells in an SSD or the ferrous surface sectors on your hard drives. The routes are the layouts and the sessions and what not are the operations. Scripts and other underpinnings are like the wiring to make it all work. Like building a real basement model railroad, you need to focus on a tiny bit at a time and not dive into everything at once. And more importantly, like a model railroad, don't jump in and plan to build the biggest layout, or in our parlance, a route. Start small and plan on scrapping your first routes. This is exactly what I did back in December 2003 a few days after Christmas when I went to CompUSA and got my copy of TRS2004.

I had tried the early demo versions and liked that I could create my own routes and like you I didn't quite know where to begin. I poked around the DLS which at that time was an online affair that required going to the Auran website and then to then black pages, now recently updated to white pages. There I downloaded some trains and some routes which I took a look at. There were a few routes that caught my eye, and I gave them a try. The first route I tried, which I can't even remember what it was called, had a great title but turned out to be crap. The track wasn't seated on the terrain along with other sloppy things that I didn't like. I deleted it and tried another and another until I found one that caught my eye yet again.

I opened this route in Surveyor as I did the others, which really hasn't changed much since then, and poked around to see how the author did things. I noticed that this particular author paid great attention to details and his track was actually tamped to the ground and not hovering above the ground. He had also done the same with roads and other splines. The texturing too was great and so was the tree placement. While in Surveyor, I took the route and added a loop of track off to the side and imitated his texturing and other things the author had done. I was learning from this author how to build a route by poking around, imitating, and experimenting. I did this with a few other routes by other authors and then one day I decided to start my own project.

My project started out as 4 baseboards centered around a port and a passenger terminal. This was based on a model railroad I had planned and partially built back in 1984 but had to be scrapped and then attempted again in 2002-2004 and had to be scrapped due to many reasons which always happens to big model railroads I built. I went about this carefully and used photos and topo maps to get an idea of what I wanted with track layouts. My building skills were crude, and I tried my best to improve them. One of the biggest errors I made which affected the whole early route was I thought by setting the scale in the route description when we create a route would set the actual working scale - it does not as I found my heights to be totally incorrect. My 12-foot difference between levels I wanted, turned out to be more like 39 feet! As time went on and more to the wise, I rebuilt the route but kept that port section which still exists today as part of my current large route project.

In the end, don't be afraid to experiment. You can't break things and the only thing you waste is your time and a few bits on your hard drive.

Back