Train derailment in Victoria

I am always bemused by the way the media refers to freight wagons as "carriages". To me, and probably most of my generation, "carriages" are for people, not freight. Wagons or vans are for freight.

For some reason the movie on that website runs absolutely terrible. For those that experience the same, here is an alternative:

For anyone who would like to see realistic derailments, think of how we would create the necessary physics calculations to get a pile up like that, deform all the containers, spill the contents out, rip up the track, and model the flood that caused the problem. Maybe one day.

For anyone who would like to see realistic derailments, think of how we would create the necessary physics calculations to get a pile up like that ...

You couldn't. Far too many variables to even begin to know where to start. Even the best supercomputer simulations make far too many assumptions ... except, of course, for the Supercomputer that is running the simulation in which we all live!

My (simulated) thoughts.

For anyone who would like to see realistic derailments
I would already be happy with just re-implementing the old derailments code. It's already written and in house, so maybe one day?
Since it is less well simulated, less people can complain about it being realistic.

Sadly, it's not written for the E2 engine, so requires a rewrite (as did most of Trainz for TANE). It's not a zero sum amount of work and we have [lots of] other priorities.

For anyone who would like to see realistic derailments, think of how we would create the necessary physics calculations to get a pile up like that, deform all the containers, spill the contents out, rip up the track, and model the flood that caused the problem. Maybe one day.

Pretty sure that when people ask for "realistic derailments" they aren't talking about deformations of rolling stock but instead just want the train cars to behave realistically rather than just dropping a foot and turning into ghosts. Something more akin to older games like MSTS, the original Trainz, or the competition.

You couldn't. Far too many variables to even begin to know where to start. Even the best supercomputer simulations make far too many assumptions ... except, of course, for the Supercomputer that is running the simulation in which we all live!
My (simulated) thoughts.

Laughs in BeamNG Drive.
https://youtu.be/VqMMrNow20U

Last edited:
Something more akin to older games like MSTS, the original Trainz, or the competition.

I've seen some amazing derailments in in MSTS. One of the times, I was driving the BNSF Marias Pass route. I had made it nearly to the end when I had a red light due to an oncoming train. The train came along, hit the switch at the highest speed possible and shot straight up into the air in front of me!

What irked me was I had driven for hours only to have the game end due to a derailment that wasn't even my fault.

Back