ATLS Inverse Slave and Trainz+

davidbird

ex-Chilwellian
I have sucessfully used the ATLS system for operating level crossings on my (long-term WIP!) route. In particular, I have been using the "Inverse Slave" <kuid2:76656:500019:10> to prevent signals from clearing before the crossing has closed. This works by creating an invisible train - thus setting a signal in rear to red - which is deleted when the crossing is closed, allowing the signal to clear, and recreated again when the crossing is opened.
Now that I have upgraded to Trainz22/TrainsPlus, this behaviour no longer works.
The details of the asset state that "This asset may become obsolete in future versions of Trainz." As it no longer works, I assume this is the case. The deletion of the invisible train does not happen, the signal remains at red, and if manually driven past, a derailment occurrs when the player train meets the invisible slave train.
I am aware of the SenCity signals that can be setup to work directly, but they only come in 2 varieties, a 3A and a 4A, and these do work as expected.
But I have several crossings with a variety of signal types, from 3A MAS to semaphore disc shunting signals.
Is there still a way of getting any protecting signal to remain On/Red/Danger/Stop until the crossing is opened?
Thanks

Last edited:
I can only speak to using ATLS in normal mode rather than inverted, but there it is necessary to isolate the invisitrain from the line. The instructions in the asset are clear on that. Presumably the same applies to your situation. If you are using a unit (self-contained) crossing you must run a line of invisitrack through so the trains do not actually run on the crossing's rails. The invisitrain is connected to the crossing while the triggers are on the line. The invisitrain remains active until the train clears the last trigger and the signals operate accordingly. (Atilabarut's MyLevelCrossings rules works the same way.)

From your description, both the invisitrain and the line are connected to the crossing, which would produce the results you're getting.

Sorry if I've misunderstood...

:B~)

The inverse slave is not responding to messages sent to it. It should work, as the normal slave still functions ok. These older slaves are the only ones that keep the invisible train active during the activation period. The new ones send a message but don't remain active throughout the period.

I can only speak to using ATLS in normal mode rather than inverted, but there it is necessary to isolate the invisitrain from the line.
From your description, both the invisitrain and the line are connected to the crossing, which would produce the results you're getting.

Sorry if I've misunderstood...

:B~)

Thanks, but I'm using the Inverse Slave. This creates an invisitrain which is deleted when the crossing is activated - the opposite to the normal Slave. It does need to be in the line (the crossing itself doesn't) as this is what keeps the signals protecting the crossing at Stop until the crossing is activated.

It is definitely not a problem with the assets, it must be my setup. I have another crossing, set up in a similar way, that works perfectly. Even the crossing in question works in the other direction - again, the setup is identical in both directions!
More testing needed.

Turntable problem.
Since build 119450, a problem with exiting turntables has appeared.
In the first screenie, the loco approaches the turntable.
In the second screenie, the loco having gained the table with no trouble, is turned and upon exit, it will derail.
I've tried more than a dozen tables from 2.4 to 4.6 build versions
What am I doing wrong ???.
Any ideas please.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

It is the asset. Place the normal slave and the inverse slave on a blank baseboard and add the controller all set on channel 1. Add a loco to a piece of track. In the edit session make sure you have the ATLS driver commands for arrive and leave selected. Go into drive mode and the mini-map and place the arrive command into the driver. It will change to the slave showing the invisible train. Now add the leave command and you see the slaves swap but the inverse slave shows no invisible train.

It is the asset. Place the normal slave and the inverse slave on a blank baseboard and add the controller all set on channel 1. Add a loco to a piece of track. In the edit session make sure you have the ATLS driver commands for arrive and leave selected. Go into drive mode and the mini-map and place the arrive command into the driver. It will change to the slave showing the invisible train. Now add the leave command and you see the slaves swap but the inverse slave shows no invisible train.

Ok, so I tried that. One of the invisible trains disappeared on activation of the crossing, the other didn't.

Then came the lightbulb moment :eek:

Each of the slaves needs to have a unique name, the ATLS - setup details in square brackets, followed by anything else as long as it's unique in round brackets.

Now working as it should! This necessity for a unique name must have come in an update since I first created this bit of my route back in TANE, only now am I creating another session over it.

Problem solved, as I had begun to suspect, it was all down to my setup! :confused:

re post #9 davidbird
Oops, no. A senior moment. A phrase from Capt Mainwaring comes to mind, that I will apply to myself.
Cheers and thanks, evilcrow.

Back