Accessing a commodity track when it's too close to a big building

SP4ever

I downloaded several of the IndustriaRail layouts, which I remember from my TRS2010 days. I am currently trying to edit one of them, adding city buildings and lights so it doesn't look so lifeless.

The layouts make liberal use of built-in assets of urban flavor and massive size, like Factory Complex or Long Factory. Unfortunately those assets control everything in their airspace, so you can select and move or rotate anything close to them, as it will always select that huge asset. I am trying to ascertain what certain PL and BI commodity tracks are for, so I can plan to use them or even replace them for something else.

But how can you get to them without deleting every factory building with half a mile of them?

What you can do is create a temporary route sublayer, called say "Temp." Then, using the "?" properties button on the scenery tab, change the "Layer" attribute of each offending building to Temp. Lock and hide that layer, which should make those assets disappear. Switch layers back to Route.

After that you can work on the industries. When done, change layers back to Temp. Unhide and Unlock. Change each of the buildings' layers back to Route. Change layers back to Route and delete layer Temp. It should be good.

It's actually easier than it sounds. Where I trip up is the back-and-forth restoring things. Just take it a step at a time.

:B~)

You don't even need to hide the layer, just lock it. I have the same issue with the Multiple Industry New track asset so I have a route layer specifically for that asset.

The offending buildings can be hidden in a Session layer (separate) that can be hidden. Just select the asset and use the Bound designation, and this eliminates the need to overwrite the route.

Yes using layers is the way I deal with this, I have a separate layer for things I want to temporarily hide (for example station roofs) and a separate for things I want to lock so they can't be selected or moved (depot buildings with fixed track etc).

When I use MIN's, that's always an issue. So I use the height tool to 'pickup' the structure untill I can access the MIN, taking note of the original height of the structure. Make my changes, then drop the structure back to it's original height. No worries about layers.

What you can do is create a temporary route sublayer, called say "Temp." Then, using the "?" properties button on the scenery tab, change the "Layer" attribute of each offending building to Temp. Lock and hide that layer, which should make those assets disappear. Switch layers back to Route.

After that you can work on the industries. When done, change layers back to Temp. Unhide and Unlock. Change each of the buildings' layers back to Route. Change layers back to Route and delete layer Temp. It should be good.

It's actually easier than it sounds. Where I trip up is the back-and-forth restoring things. Just take it a step at a time.

Hello,

I have a similar problem but this procedure does not work.

I have a fully equipped turntable with the tracks and buildings to house the locomotives. I would like to add bumpers on the tracks but once installed I can't select them, the asset of the turntable covers the whole area.

Even if the bumpers are in another layer than the turntable, they are hidden when I hide the turntable, the bumpers are also hidden because they are linked to the tracks.

Any ideas?

Best regards.

Hello,

I have a similar problem but this procedure does not work.

I have a fully equipped turntable with the tracks and buildings to house the locomotives. I would like to add bumpers on the tracks but once installed I can't select them, the asset of the turntable covers the whole area.

Even if the bumpers are in another layer than the turntable, they are hidden when I hide the turntable, the bumpers are also hidden because they are linked to the tracks.

Any ideas?

Best regards.

Instead of hiding the turntable, because all the tracks are attached, try locking the layer instead and then clicking back on the route-layer. This will keep the asset visible and prevent it from moving around and allow you to place other assets such as the bumpers.

I have multiple layers on my routes: route, session, traffic 1, traffic 2, industry, scenery, misc, so on and so forth. This makes editing a route/session much easier and a WHOLE lot less frustrating.

Instead of hiding the turntable, because all the tracks are attached, try locking the layer instead and then clicking back on the route-layer. This will keep the asset visible and prevent it from moving around and allow you to place other assets such as the bumpers.

The problem is not to place another asset, that works.

The problem is to select the asset to edit it.

Michel

The problem is not to place another asset, that works.

The problem is to select the asset to edit it.

Michel

Same thing. With the turntable and attached tracks locked, you can still edit the bumpers, turn them around or do whatever else you want.

When I use MIN's, that's always an issue. So I use the height tool to 'pickup' the structure untill I can access the MIN, taking note of the original height of the structure. Make my changes, then drop the structure back to it's original height. No worries about layers.

I hadn't thought of that either. I've always moved things horizontally.

Same thing. With the turntable and attached tracks locked, you can still edit the bumpers, turn them around or do whatever else you want.

Nope, I lock the turntable layer, set the bumper in another layer. It is then impossible for me to select the bumper again.

I use the KUID <kuid:47092:28666> and <kuid:132952:1515451:2> with Surveyor 2.0 but it's the same with Surveyor Classic.

Michel

Back