Swapping out Jointed Rail loco engine sounds .

shebashetan7

Hey all,

I've been wanting to swap the engine sounds on the older Jointed Rail diesel models. I'm mostly struggling with the GE models like the C30-7 and B40-8W. These two engines share the 7FDL-16 prime mover, but I'm unsure what would be the best sound pack for each loco class. The original engine sounds are correct for the C30-7 and B40-8W however they've existed for a while and the locos could use fresh recordings. Can anyone recommend good GE 7FDL-16 sound assets that could fit the Jointed Rail C30-7s and B40-8Ws? Even though they have the same prime mover they'll sound different because of refinements made by GE between the 1950s and 2000s. By the 2000s, the Dash 9s stopped being produced in favor of the GEVOs, which come with a different model of prime mover.

The U25/U28 engine sounds on JointedRail are great substitutes, and sound better than the default 7FDL.

The U25/U28 engine sounds on JointedRail are great substitutes, and sound better than the default 7FDL.

I agree! I've used the U-Boat 7FDL-16 sounds on the SP U33Cs on the DLS as they also had the default early JR versions. That asset could work for the Dash 7s cause they're similar to the late U Boats. I'm not sure about the Dash 8s though.

I agree! I've used the U-Boat 7FDL-16 sounds on the SP U33Cs on the DLS as they also had the default early JR versions. That asset could work for the Dash 7s cause they're similar to the late U Boats. I'm not sure about the Dash 8s though.

For Dash 8's you'd want to use the engine sound from the JR C40-8W's and B30-7AB, and Dash 9's and AC44CW's I recommend RRMods' 7FDL or the JR C40-8W sound.

You're talking about this asset for the Dash 8s? - <kuid2:45324:53007:2> GE 7FDL16 diesel engine sounds (late)
Yup, I think that's it. Go ahead and give it a try and see where it goes. It was used on CPS's old B40-8's and it sounded awesome.

Yup, I think that's it. Go ahead and give it a try and see where it goes. It was used on CPS's old B40-8's and it sounded awesome.

I agree, I tested it and it sounds pretty good on the B40-8Ws! I like the moaning roar sound that is given off as the unit goes up to speed, it gives some haunting qualities that speaks of the power these locomotives can generate. Would it seem that the late 7FDL-16 sounds JR made work for any 1980s era GE unit, Dash 7 or Dash 8? In that context it does make sense that the B units BN ordered from GE would have that particular sound pack as they were built 1982-1983.

I agree, I tested it and it sounds pretty good on the B40-8Ws! I like the moaning roar sound that is given off as the unit goes up to speed, it gives some haunting qualities that speaks of the power these locomotives can generate. Would it seem that the late 7FDL-16 sounds JR made work for any 1980s era GE unit, Dash 7 or Dash 8? In that context it does make sense that the B units BN ordered from GE would have that particular sound pack as they were built 1982-1983.

Good Day shebashetan7,

Thank you for effort on the Horn Updates, that is something I need to do on Numerous Loco's :cool:

I have several Locomotives with many having strange sounding Horns for what I think they should have..:(

Quick question, is there some kind of a master reference list on Web that tells what horn belongs to what Locomotive? :eek:

While I think about another thing I need to do is fix the Smoke style on several of my Steamers too. I know that is mostly in the Config.txt file. But that is for another day/year, it will take a while for sure.....:hehe:

Have a great week and thanks for all the things you make for us......:wave:

Edit Update: The power of Google, thank you Shebashetan7, I'll give that a go....;)

Last edited:
No problem! I enjoy making those custom horns and whistles as a labor of love! As for a horn reference sheet that's complicated but if you Google "southern railway diesel horn" you may find a reference sheet for that railroad's fleet. It's the only one I know of cause it would be impossible to list what horns each loco had as they depended on so many factors.

go buy and download RRmods CP AC4400's they have a Really good 7FDL-16 Engine sound... Best I have heard in a long while and will work on JR models as well

Back