BUG: Cab Interiors are now HUGE downloads!

warzog

I am using TRS22 build diar7pfh1. I don't have a First Class Ticket.
Today, I tried to download: <kuid2:45588:1115:1> Chesapeake & Ohio 0-6-0 15 listed as being 4MB.
After an Hour it hadn't finished downloading, and I discovered that it needed the <kuid:-25:1424> PB15 interior (Auran Ver.) which is now 215.68MB?

I gave up and decided to download: <kuid2:523:1082:1> C&O F7A listed as being 1.7MB, but upon starting to download it said that it was 9.26MB.
After it downloaded the 9.26MB it became 218.85MB which I assume had to do with it's cab interior.

<kuid:-25:1489> EMD Hood Unit Interior --------------------------for a built-in locomotive is now 202.5MB
<kuid2:648132:101792:1> EMD Early F Unit Interior ----I downloaded earlier with a loco is now 61.5MB-3rd party
<kuid2:523:19721258:9> Berkshire Interior PBR------------------for a built-in locomotive is now 272.5MB

Months ago I had downloaded the <kuid2:523:1082:1> C&O F7A, but it didn't work for what I was doing at the time, so I deleted it. BUT, it wasn't anywhere near the 218.85MB that it is today.

Edit-For Comparison:
Here's a list of cabs I had downloaded prior to today:
<kuid2:222925:42560:3> DRGW 2-8-2 450 (cab)-6.6MB
<kuid2:222925:42660:3> DRGW 2-8-2 451 (cab)-6.5MB
<kuid2:222925:41160:3> DRGW 2-8-2 473 (cab)-9MB
<kuid2:222925:42160:3> DRGW 2-8-2 488 (cab)-9.6MB
<kuid2:222925:35060:6> DRGW 2-8-0 268 (cab)-8.6MB
<kuid2:222925:46060:3> DRGW 2-8-0 346 (cab)-8MB
<kuid2:96914:55201:4> Shortline Steam Cab-----7.2MB
<kuid:648132:104757> Glenbrook Cab 1875-----57.3MB-3rd party
<kuid:648132:104265> CM 0-6-0 Cab As Built---55.4MB-3rd party

Last edited:
The size of the assets is totally dependant upon the creator and the size shown in CM prior to the download is for that asset only, not for the dependencies. The size primarily depends on the resolution of the materials used and how efficient the asset has been made.

In your first example, searching for <kuid2:45588:1115:1> Chesapeake & Ohio 0-6-0 15 shows a 3.8MB file. This is the compressed size.
Using "Download this version" once that asset is installed it shows as 8MB. This make sense.

Downloading the dependencies, it shows there is a 198MB asset - <kuid2:217537:36:10> PB15 Interior (GDennish Ver.)

This is built-in to TRS22 so I doubt you had to download it.

The content creators want us to go to 4K content, so once that happens, sizes will quadruple from their current levels.

In my original post I stated that I had to download "<kuid:-25:1424> PB15 interior (Auran Ver.)" not the "<kuid2:217537:36:10> PB15 Interior (GDennish Ver.)"
You also mentioned that "
<kuid2:45588:1115:1> Chesapeake & Ohio 0-6-0 15 shows a 3.8MB file" whereas I showed it to be 3.2MB.
All of this made me think that perhaps my copy is corrupted, so I uninstalled it, and deleted the "N3V Games" folder that wasn't uninstalled.
I then reinstalled it, but I got the same results.

I also tried downloading all three of the C&O F7A's, but they're all over 220MB now, but they weren't when I downloaded them before.

I then had Steam Verify the Integrity of the Files, and they are all good.
I'm at a loss. I have no idea why my results are different than yours, or why my copy wants to download huge files instead of installed/smaller versions.

Both the "<kuid:-25:1424> PB15 interior (Auran Ver.)" and "<kuid2:217537:36:10> PB15 Interior (GDennish Ver.)" are made by the same author.

Built-in assets are smaller because they are packaged. With the current build, the size is even smaller due to the .TZARC files being compressed further. DLS assets are not compressed. The newer assets are also PBR assets and contain much bigger textures overall compared to the early ones.

Yes, kind of like the 45.5MB cattle trough someone posted. Really? I look at so many great assets that are less than 1 MB and long for the good old days!

Tell me about it. My install swelled wickedly with the larger assets we now have. I used to keep the install well under 1.5 TB and now it's just a bit over 2 TB. This is after careful pruning of old stuff. The problem is the new textures on the new assets. PBR contains all kinds of layers making them larger to begin with and now add in the addition LOD meshes with their textures and you can see what's happening.

The problem is people want the details and realism instead of using their imagination. I agree we need some details, meaning the old cardboard boxes with poorly printed images on them for buildings doesn't quite cut it not that they ever did along with the paper track from the early days. Today, it's all literal with highly detailed, right down to the rivets track and freight cars and super detailed objects reflecting lights, casting shadows, and all super animated. All I can say is wait until people start demanding ray tracing and 8K textures, never mind the 4K that Tony was talking about.

The problem is people want the details and realism instead of using their imagination. ....

Maybe we should all go back to playing Zork. That needed imagination and the only graphics you had was a piece of paper and a pencil. "Be careful, you might be eaten by a Gru!".

Or maybe N3V should simply resurrect TS04 and market it as a nostalgia product.

After reading the original post I did do a comparison of some of my assets and there is no doubt PBR assets are much larger. The PBR parameters texture certainly adds to the problem but then you can now compress textures which wasn't the case prior to TANE, I think. So, I'm not entirely sure where this increase is coming from.

Cab interiors can be very complicated and may have dozens of attached meshes. These all use textures as well although its easy to share textures. A cab is one place where PBR really works very well so its no surprise creators will want to use them. I expect cab assets will continue to grow in size as more creators take advantage of PBR.

Cab interiors can be very complicated and may have dozens of attached meshes. These all use textures as well although its easy to share textures. A cab is one place where PBR really works very well so its no surprise creators will want to use them. I expect cab assets will continue to grow in size as more creators take advantage of PBR.
I am a Model Railroader at heart. Been one for over 66 years. (I'm 71) So, I don't run the game in cab mode.
I kinda wonder if downloads could default to an installed version, and only download the HUGE Super Detailed versions if desired?

Don't quote me, but I am thinking for a given locomotive you could eliminate the interior tag line and the same KUID from the KUID table and run without an interior? Someone else may be able to confirm or correct. If so though, you would have to edit every loco you wanted to run that way.

Why would you have to download the interior if you are running without it? The other option instead of deleting it as a dependency for the loco would be to replace it with the KUID of a different Interior you already have. Or is it that the locos can't download because they are downloading that interior first? That would be a bummer.

Why would you have to download the interior if you are running without it? The other option instead of deleting it as a dependency for the loco would be to replace it with the KUID of a different Interior you already have. Or is it that the locos can't download because they are downloading that interior first? That would be a bummer.
It IS A BUMMER! You can't download the loco without the interior too!
With the "<kuid2:45588:1115:1> Chesapeake & Ohio 0-6-0 15" it downloaded the loco first, then the interior. I stopped the download of the interior, but when I tried to switch the interior to the built-in "<kuid2:217537:36:10> PB15 Interior (GDennish Ver.)" interior it kept defaulting to the "<kuid:-25:1424> PB15 interior (Auran Ver.)" interior.

...The content creators want us to go to 4K content, so once that happens, sizes will quadruple from their current levels.

:eek: I think we're going to have to go to a whole new level of storage size to be able to accommodate this! terabytes, not gigabytes..... That could be pretty expensive for an internal SSD (which is now probably best practice for Trainz.)

Paul

Back