Trainz 22 Plus - restoring automatic backups doesn't work as specified

Trainz 22 Plus build 119450 here. Route apparently became corrupt and will not start up. Today is my first time ever to try to restore a route via automatic backup.

I went here and followed the instructions How to Manage Backups - TrainzOnline (ts2009.com)

I scrolled to the Restoring Automatic backups section. I found the route backups, chose one from earlier today. Dragged and dropped the file folder into the content manager window. Popup says done but the route never appears (open for edit) although the instructions say it should.

Then I see this in the instructions:
Warning:
Stop.PNG
The following method has been reported as not working in the SP4 builds of TRS19 and Trainz Plus

A bug report has been submitted

Is this the problem? If so, now what?

Ignore the folders.

Look for the .tzarc with the kuid of your route you want to restore.

Copy the .tzarc to your edit folder and run a DBR.

I wrote that Wiki page and encountered the bug (which I also reported) and I added the warning note. The bug report was acknowledged by N3V but I have heard nothing since.

I do not rely on automatic backups and make my own manual backups of routes and sessions as .cdp files (which is explained in the next section of the Wiki page) at the end of each editing session. I have not had any issues with restoring manual backups.

I wrote that Wiki page and encountered the bug (which I also reported) and I added the warning note. The bug report was acknowledged by N3V but I have heard nothing since.

I do not rely on automatic backups and make my own manual backups of routes and sessions as .cdp files (which is explained in the next section of the Wiki page) at the end of each editing session. I have not had any issues with restoring manual backups.

I do the same. The auto-backups though do come in handy when I've whiffed and there's way too much time between my CDP save and the more recent edit that day.

Now if a nice programmer here could come up with a restore utility to create an interface for those that aren't computer savvy enough to deal with files, folders, directories, and paths in order to restore their content.

Ignore the folders.

Look for the .tzarc with the kuid of your route you want to restore.

Copy the .tzarc to your edit folder and run a DBR.

John:

I followed your instructions, didn't work. I previously deleted the corrupted route via CM so as to avoid conflict with the restore process.
Here is what I did:

1-Found the TZARC file in backups
2-Copied the TZARC file and pasted into edit folder
3-Started Trainz, and from the launcher, selected Developer/Rebuild Database. Saw a window running a process.
4-The TZARC disappears from edit folder as I would expect.
5-Startup Trainz and the restored route is missing.
6-I look in the local folder and there is the TZARC file just sitting there, not unzipped.

Should the rebuild database process have unzipped the TZARC? Is there a step missing?

Thanks for your help.

Make sure the route isn't open for edit in Content Manager. If it's the same KUID, the route won't show up in the menus.

Other than that, the process appears correct.

In the future, you might find this easier. I didn't think of this last night. VVMM created a nice utility caler TZarchiver.

Go here Software - Trainz Romania (tapatalk.com) to download it and other nifty Trainz utilities.

Simple to use:

Drag the TZARC into the left field.

the right side shows the contents.

Click Extract Tzarc and it'll create an asset folder with the contents in it which you can then import or drag the folder into Content Manager to install the route.

Make sure the route isn't open for edit in Content Manager. If it's the same KUID, the route won't show up in the menus.

Other than that, the process appears correct.

In the future, you might find this easier. I didn't think of this last night. VVMM created a nice utility caler TZarchiver.

Go here Software - Trainz Romania (tapatalk.com) to download it and other nifty Trainz utilities.

Simple to use:

Drag the TZARC into the left field.

the right side shows the contents.

Click Extract Tzarc and it'll create an asset folder with the contents in it which you can then import or drag the folder into Content Manager to install the route.

John

I deleted the defective route using CM before attempting to restore the backup, so that's not the problem.

I went to the link you provided and found a link to their programs, including TZArchiver. But when I download, I get a file called TZarchiver.7z

Double clicking just gets the prompt "How do you want to open this file". Apparently, windows doesn't think it's software.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any help on this.

Also, anyone from N3V - please help. It's unlikely I am the only user of newer versions of Trainz who has tried to restore an automatic backup. I knew the software had easy to use automatic backups so I relied on it, only to find out yesterday that the restore process does not work. When I bought Trainz 22Plus to get Surveyor 2.0 and UDS, I accepted the risk that S2.0 was not totally was bug free. Never did I consider that the backup restore process which apparently worked in older versions of Trainz was no longer functional. This is not good.

Should I submit a bug report? Help desk ticket?

That's not good, so much for that. Hopefully VVMM will update his utility.

Well, I appreciate your efforts. Fortunately, I did a .cdp backup of the route 3 weeks ago which I can restore if all else fails.

I hope to hear from other users who found a solution.

Last edited:
Back