User Bravecat931 uploading old routes again.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
When browsing the DLS, I came across a familiar looking route. A route I had downloaded way back in the TRS2004 days. This route is <kuid:282277:100518> ALL AMSTERDAM 3. Being a route I was familiar with, I searched the venerable white pages DLS and found the original author. jahgandree.

Unfortunately, the author is nowhere to be found other than his reference on the DLS. The last time this user was involved with Trainz was in 2008.

I know this is an old route and the author has moved on from Trainz. I also know that N3V's policy is not to do anything unless the original author puts in a complaint, but wouldn't an uncontactable author be the same as one who is deceased?

Now, this isn't the only time this user has done this with content and should be spoken to about it.

He also did it with a route from ethanl19 which I downloaded. Ethan's Lake Ebony Southern <kuid:777865:101236> 0Lake Ebony and Southern and I have messaged Ethan regarding this issue. Unless Ethan gave him permission to do so, which I doubt because there's no mention anywhere regarding this and the route description and everything, including the thumbnail is the same, then he needs to contact the helpdesk.

I have also seen other content by him including content by other authors as well when checking on this. Way too much to list here including <kuid2:242091:100108:2> 36ng Tall Timber RR by Col_Klink.

Last edited:
Well spotted, he's also uploaded marky7890's Liskeard to Looe Route, to be honest looking at the comments he added it looks as if he has made it into a session but uploaded it as a route and he has credited Mark, I've left Mark a PM on British Trainz anyway.

Those pbr assets at 3.7???? Had a look, were made by Jericho who doesn't appear to have ever used the DLS

There's a lot of that. I wonder if this guy doesn't understand or bothered to understand the policy regarding uploads.

Here's a route by BDP and cookecitynw, respectively.

<kuid:282277:100199> 1. Midwest Belt Switcher (Freeware DLS Version)

<kuid:282277:100019> Sigbey MRR

I could go on. Hopefully N3V will take a look at this thread.

I know this is an old route and the author has moved on from Trainz. I also know that N3V's policy is not to do anything unless the original author puts in a complaint, but wouldn't an uncontactable author be the same as one who is deceased?

There is this clause in the DLS License Agreement which they may be following;

https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Download_Station_License_Agreement#Faulty_content

If the author has an objection he can always complain, but in this case, like you said, he may have moved on, so now what?

I wonder if younger users think the DLS is more a cloud storage space then a upload/download content database. Seems like most everything uploading by this user comes from another source.

I wonder if younger users think the DLS is more a cloud storage space then a upload/download content database. Seems like most everything uploading by this user comes from another source.

Interesting. What if, since it is a license agreement, should a person uploading to the DLS be a legal adult so they can legally accept the terms? If a minor uploads, are the parents responsible?

There is this clause in the DLS License Agreement which they may be following;

https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Download_Station_License_Agreement#Faulty_content

If the author has an objection he can always complain, but in this case, like you said, he may have moved on, so now what?
The pertinent section of that part of the DLS agreement is that it be repaired with no substantial changes and uploaded as a kuid2 under the original creators kuid.
I also noticed Vern's Kovdor route has been uploaded by at least 2 different users with the name of the route changed in this case.
<kuid2:833171:100035:5> Northern Railway | 3.1.3 [TCL] by Ilyon
<kuid:893623:100014> Nord ZD by Rom71
Plagiarism is rife on the DLS

Last edited:
The pertinent section of that part of the DLS agreement is that it be repaired with no substantial changes and uploaded as a kuid2 under the original creators kuid.
I also noticed Vern's Kovdor route has been uploaded by at least 2 different users with the name of the route changed in this case.
<kuid2:833171:100035:5> Northern Railway | 3.1.3 [TCL] by Ilyon
<kuid:893623:100014> Nord ZD by Rom71
Plagiarism is rife on the DLS

Changing the route name would not be in the interest of the original author unless otherwise stated, bad.. A route is a little bit different than a stop sign.

Last edited:
If N3V wanted to update it, I'm sure they have at least that much resources. Still stands..

Official CRG Co-Ordinator hat on!

Well regardless of what it says on the outdated by subsequent developments agreement, only the CRG members have access to the faulty asset list and the uploader that allows us to upload using the original user ID, access to both were removed by N3V when the CRG was set up back in 2016.

Originally repairers had to claim an item off the list fix it then upload it, uploads would only work if you had claimed the asset.

Tony Hilliam's post 25th July 2016 which IMO overrides the Wiki, given he is the CEO ;o)

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?132476-Important-Download-Station-Content-Repair-Updates&p=1529635#post1529635

Download Station Repair Program

For many years now we have operated the “Download Station Repair Program” where users could fix faulty items and upload the fixes to the DLS. This process thereby removed the need for every user to make the same edits to fix any faulty content.

This process, while successfully repairing thousands of items over the years, also has a number of shortcomings, including:

Repairs being carried by those without the appropriate skills.
Some repairs, while technically correct for validation purposes, render the asset unusable.
Authors missing notifications due to spam filters or changing e-mail addresses without updating their MyTrainz account
Some authors have complained of inappropriate repairs to their assets (and keep in mind the author is free to upload a new version resolving any remaining concerns).
Repairs that ignore the author's original intent.
No visible audit trail to any repairs.
The cleanup process has historically been lacking in organisation and slow as a result.
The process takes into account only items which are flagged as faulty. Items which should be repaired/replaced/removed for other reasons are not counted (eg. a Train Car without its bogeys or engine, or a Route without its track, etc.)

While we cannot fix everything overnight, we can begin the process of improvement, and so we have begun to make some changes...

Download Station Content Repair Management Group

Last year, N3V asked the Trainz Pioneer Council and Trainz Enthusiast Group members to begin exploring whether a dedicated group of Trainz users could be formed to oversee and manage this repair process.
After consultation and consideration with this group, we are now ready to move forward with making the necessary changes to the repair process to ensure that we reduce the number of faulty items and also begin working on improving the number of missing dependencies reported.
This Content Repair Group (“CRG”) group has been formed to act as stewards of Download Station (DLS) assets on behalf of the Trainz Community. This includes:

managing the maintenance and repair of assets;
taking community feedback, including that from non English speaking forums, on current problems with DLS content and actions of the CRG;
working to promote the general health and usefulness of the DLS
maintaining sufficient membership and participation levels in the CRG
encouraging the broader content creation community to upload to the DLS; and,
providing recommendations to N3V Games regarding how the DLS user experience and policies can be improved.

Last edited:
Thanks Malc, that's some good info, I bookmarked this page.

To John's point then, the original route is faulty, is not on the repair list, owner can not be contacted, repaired (did a nice job) and kept the original intentions, and the original credits in the config.txt, and it's still free

It takes a town..

Back