Will trainz ever be 4k?

Long story short I'm about to purchase a monitor and I'm trying to figure out if I should go 4k. I know that trainz is not 4k as of now but NV3 do you guys plan on upgrading to that in the near future?
Just asking so I know what I should get.

to go from 1920 by 1080 to 4k means dealing with 4 times the number of pixels. The new RTX 4090 might just work but you'd need a high end CPU etc to drive it. I seem to recall that TANEwasn't limited to 1920 by 1080, I know TS22 is but I'm not sure about TS19.

I have an LG 27 inch UHD 4K monitor that adapts to lower input levels than 4k and it's not that expensive. Dual HDMI ports so one is a raspberry pi and the other a Bluray UHD 4 k player. I must confess though I use a 21 or 22 inch monitor on the Trainz machine.

Cheerio John

There was a similar discussion on this matter a year or two ago - higher resolution displays for Trainz, when?

I just did a bit of quick internet research on the question of HD, Ultra HD, 4K and 8K computer and TV screens - are they worth it?

The consensus of opinions seems to be that the answer depends on your screen size and your viewing distance. To quote one source (on 4K TVs):-

If you're in the market for a screen of 42 inches or smaller, there's an argument that 4K resolution is unnecessary because at normal TV viewing distances you won't be able to see the extra pixels

Another on 4K video gaming and computer screens:-

Games have been slower to adopt 4k than movies. Most indie games still don’t have that [4K] option, and still don’t need it. Computer displays don’t really enter into this, because they tend to have different resolutions from a true 4k image (different numbers of pixels for the aspect ratio). It’s best to look at computer consoles on a case-by-case basis (Sept 2022)

A few sites stated that 27" is the smallest screen size you should consider for a 4K computer monitor. But if the larger screen real estate (i.e. getting more pixels on the screen as provided by 4K) is your driving factor then getting a second monitor installed at a lower resolution (e.g. Ultra-HD or HD) could be a far better cost effective solution (I have two Ultra-HD monitors installed).

Other factors to consider are:-

• can your GPU handle the extra load?
  • is your internet bandwidth up to the task (for 4K streaming)?

And after 4K when will we see requests for 8K "realism" in Trainz?

My (random) thoughts.

I have stretched Trainz across my two 1920x1080 monitors by windowing. Unfortunately, the monitors are different brands from different times, so they don't quite match, and it is not a smooth transition.

I would imagine that to get anything approaching useable frame rates with 4K on some of the larger and more complex routes you would probably need an RTX3090 if over 30 FPS required.

Large monitors where 4K would probably be advantageous are not going to be used when you are sitting 2ft in front of it! I find my three 24" monitors at 1920 x 1080 are fine for my eyesight without having to adjust font sizes and suchlike and I'd have to upgrade my HDMI KVM which will only handle 4K at 30Hz, fine for HD though.

Stretching across two screens works well when you have identical monitors.

I would imagine that to get anything approaching useable frame rates with 4K on some of the larger and more complex routes you would probably need an RTX3090 if over 30 FPS required.

Large monitors where 4K would probably be advantageous are not going to be used when you are sitting 2ft in front of it! I find my three 24" monitors at 1920 x 1080 are fine for my eyesight without having to adjust font sizes and suchlike and I'd have to upgrade my HDMI KVM which will only handle 4K at 30Hz, fine for HD though.

Stretching across two screens works well when you have identical monitors.

In the video I posted, Linus mentions that as well. For an 8K display, we have to sit something like 2 meters from the display to appreciate the details but that's totally useless for text because then that would be the size of ants as if it isn't already on large displays.

Last edited:
My understanding of the situation is the native Trainz resolution is 1440p whilst 4k can be achieved in windowed mode. The huge texture sizes for 4k assets would be a killer of graphics and download limits, while much older assets and textures which are low res would look and perform even worse at 4k.

Long story short I'm about to purchase a monitor and I'm trying to figure out if I should go 4k. I know that trainz is not 4k as of now but NV3 do you guys plan on upgrading to that in the near future?
Just asking so I know what I should get.[/QUOTEI buy next days a new highend computer with GTX4090 graphic card and 3 monitors with 4k resolution.

If i have next time extension my Trainz Plus ticket and N3V have make not 4K Resolution for one monitor ( and more important, to using Trainz with 3 monitors, each with 1920 x 1200 resolution, to get a very wide and not so high picture, ...not stretching real resolution 3 times 1920 x 1200 ) .... I kick Trainz away. If I musst turn down other settings to can use 3 Monitors with 3 times 1920 x 1200 real resolution that is my problem, not yours!!!!

8 of 10 Trainz users I talk about this say the same, .....they all are more and more unhappy with Trainz with the only 1920 x 1200 resolution.

We don"t like to discussion all the time with N3V about this, ......GIVE US SELF THE OPTION to use the resolution we want and what our hardware can work with.

If N3V not want unterstand this WE KICK TRAINZ AWAY. ......maybe the only way they unterstand.

I run mine on a 32" 1440p monitor (Gigabyte G32QC) and have no issues. I run a Rysen9 3900x and an RTX2060. I am looking to upgrade my graphics card to an RTX3080 for the new surveyor 2.0 to run a bit smoother than it does now. I'm a stickler for details and sometimes overload my scenes with clutter.

Jack

If Trainz 22 does not support 3440 x 1440 (ultrawide, 21:9) I will not
use this program/game anymore.
I will NOT stare at the upper white border in window mode.
TRS22 in 3440 x 1440 with RTX 4080 is absolutely no problem!
And probably not with less powerful graphics card either.
TRS22 - goodbye.:(

wonder why they are dragging their feet with 4k video settings. I do 4k with train simulator classic in 4k on a 43 inch Asus monitor and its like eye candy. You come back to this and its more like potato mode compared to the other games.

Back