Could someone please explain this?

HiBaller

19 Years of Trainz
At my wit's end. I have just spent over two hours trying to find out why Content Manager thinks all my routes are just fine--with NO errors/missing content and the game itself flags nearly ALL of my routes as having "Faulty Dependencies." When I click on the red exclamation point, sure enough, there are faulty dependencies that I must address. Most of them are those ".texture" files which must then be converted back to texture.txt files and TGA's. If the program is smart enough to tag these, why can't it simply extract what it wants and be done with it?

Apparently, doing a DBA only makes Trainz mad, causing more non-faults to show up the next time I start it up. I understand that PEV's Texture2TGA program has something called "crawl" but I've not been able to figure out how to make it work. Instead, I open each .texture and convert it to .txt and TGA one at a time.

Any help here?

Bill

I think the tool is called Images2TGA. At least that's what I have.

Its trawl mode only applies to trawling all the textures within one asset, not multiple assets. I got shaneturner to write me a little batch file to get Images2TGA to process multiple assets in one hit. I am happy to share it. Send me a PM with your email address and I will see if I can send it to you that way.

Thanks, Deane. It's "Texture2TGA." I had to open the HLP file (to get the secret code to enable Trawl mode) using Notepad++ as Windows 10 tells me it can't open the HLP file and suggests some off-the-wall EXE to correct it.

The problem with trawl mode is that it will only let me choose a directory on the C:\ drive. All my Trainz stuff is on another drive altogether. The hassle of moving everything from the Editing directory to a working directory on C drive, and then back again is simply an exercise in futility. I'm playing Whack-a-mole here. Every time I start up Trainz, I get a new crop of "faults" in my own routes (as well as others) because of these .texture files. And as if that isn't enough, every other time I restart (after a crash submitting content from edit) the database happily announces it's found NEW faulty content for me.

Giving up for tonight. This game used to be fun, now it's changed to a "Find the missing KUIDs or Fix the Faulty Content Simulator."

Bill

Textures2TGA is a pretty old program and, as such, it doesn't know about symbolic links. The 'search for files" dialogue opens only Drive C and shows only fixed directories. I tried setting up a link, but the program couldn't see it.

Good idea, though.

Bill

Texture2TGA is the old version that he replaced with Images2TGA. You can download Images2TGA from shaneturner's website.

All my Trainz stuff is on a non-C: drive too and Images2TGA has no problem with that.

Images2TGA's in-built trawl mode used to work on multiple images within an asset AND on multiple assets by way of an "Open with.." menu added to Content Manager. To quote from its readme.txt file;

"This program can be used to trawl (or search) for images or textures to convert to TGAs.

Trawling must be launched from the command line (typically from a batch file in the 'Open With' menu of Content Manager 2 or 3).

The Content Manager OpenWith launch macros are automatically created for the Content Managers for TS2009, TS2010 and TS12."

However, Content Managers from T:ANE upwards will not allow the addition of an OpenWith menu, so they destroyed Images2TGA's ability to trawl multiple assets for anything above TS12.

The batch file that shaneturner wrote overcomes that by making Images2TGA trawl through all assets that are Open For Editing. You simply have to give it the path to the folder containing Images2TGA.exe and the folder where the open assets are. It's in clunky DOS style, requires a copy/paste of the folder paths for each batch run, but it's way faster than processing one asset at a time.

You can't get Images2TGA batch from Shane's website, which is why I'm offering to send it to you, or make it available some other way.

Last edited:
I already have Images2TGA. I didn't realize it was an updated version of Textures2TGA. I thought it only dealt with images and modified them somehow. Didn't know it extracted TGAs from .texture files. That open up a whole new effort on my part. Thanks, Deane.

EDIT: Wouldn't you know it? When I started TS2019, not a single Erroneous content showed up.

Bill

Last edited:
Usually built-in and DLC assets are repaired by reverting to original. This usually occurs if you have imported built-in content.

I've setup Images2TGA in trawl mode so it works with my data folder on my E: drive.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\PEVSoft\Images2TGA\Images2TGA.exe" -trawl "E:\TRS22_DATA\Editing\%1%"

Feel free to edit to suit. I modified the help file found in the documentation to work with my setup.

The quotes are part of the string.

I put this in a cmd file, so I don't have to copy and paste it from a source file every time. You need to run the program as administrator.

You shouldn't need images2tga - the .texture error is almost always due to installing built-in content via .cdp (or some other manual import option).

Revert to original or if the content has never been installed properly, install the original content via the Content Store downloader.

None of the items I'm struggling with show "built in," Tony. That's what's so frustrating. Each and every time I 'correct' the .texture problem and submit my edit, the problem goes away. But, the next time I start up Trainz, yet another piece of content shows this error. Like I said, it's like Whack-a-Mole -- fix one and another one pops up. The CM itself is often causing Trainz to freeze (show 'Not Responding') and eventually I have to kill it, which requires yet another rebuild of the database on restart -- which finds moer 'errors" for me to fix.

Plus, I only started having this problem about two weeks ago. before that, routes I haven't touched in months never showed the error, now they do. It's very strange.

Bill

None of the items I'm struggling with show "built in," Tony. That's what's so frustrating. Each and every time I 'correct' the .texture problem and submit my edit, the problem goes away. But, the next time I start up Trainz, yet another piece of content shows this error. Like I said, it's like Whack-a-Mole -- fix one and another one pops up. The CM itself is often causing Trainz to freeze (show 'Not Responding') and eventually I have to kill it, which requires yet another rebuild of the database on restart -- which finds moer 'errors" for me to fix.

Plus, I only started having this problem about two weeks ago. before that, routes I haven't touched in months never showed the error, now they do. It's very strange.

Bill

Run an EDR by pressing CTRL when selecting the Rebuild Database menu item under Developer.

When the EDR is completed, check your Faulty content and you'll see a gazillion faulty assets.
Click on one and press CTRL+A to select them all.
Right-click and choose View errors and warnings.

This should clear up a good number of them if not all.

Exit Content Manager and wait a minute.

Go back in and check again. The majority of your faulty assets should have disappeared.

If there's anything left, look into those and redownload the assets. I found redownloading them fixed that for the few I had left over.

Also, check for content updates and ensure all your content is up to date.

The first thing I do when starting up a new Trainz session is to check for updates in the CM. Then, I go to Check to see if I left anything in the Edit directory. Finding nothing there either, I go ahead and start work. All this shifting around, trying to set assets that once were good back into the good column is really trying my patience. Trainz used to be a great simulator. I fear it has fallen on hard times - especially for those of us who have been around for over to, almost 20, years.

Bill

John, doing and EDBR was an unmitigated disaster for me. Each and every one of those .texture file has come back to haunt me from content I fixed over the last week. They will not download again, nor will they shed their error status by showing me what the errors are. They are always missing a texture.txt for ........

Now I will have to start all over. I really think this is going beyond the limit for me. I am THIS close to dumping Trainz altogether.

Bill

Back