Suggestion Boxcar. What am I doing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick1958

I tried to submit a suggestion three times. A box pops up thanking me for the suggestion. Then it says something about it not being posted. The box disappears before I can read it.

The notice simply states it will go under review and posted if the reviewer thinks it's a good idea.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I guess having the Surveyor menu organized into folders and subfolders, was deemed a dumb idea. Much easier, I guess, to scroll through 200 houses to find a particular farm house

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I guess having the Surveyor menu organized into folders and subfolders, was deemed a dumb idea. Much easier, I guess, to scroll through 200 houses to find a particular farm house

This seems like a very narrow-minded idea to me - it only suits specifically named (and correctly named in what is your opinion) results.

What's more useful is the Content Search Filter that you can search and add your own folders and lists to - your suggestion may have been neglected as it is already sort of in the game.

TRS22_N8Z2MYCcbb.png

My thought would be drop down menus. Example:
Bridges>Narrow Gauge>NG36>Wooden> Trestles
Folders, of course, nameable by the user and the user can put any asset in any folder to suit

Anyway...just a "suggestion"

Last edited:

Set it up in CM using the pick lists? then just change to the relevant Pick list in Surveyor in the Search dialogue.

Put simply you could have a pick list for say Farm houses small, one for Farm houses large, if you follow.

Likely this issue isn't whether your idea/suggestion is good or not. It depends (as said above) on updating all current items to be classified correctly and it depends on content creators classifying things properly when submitted. That simply isn't going to happen. You idea would also be good for the Content Manager. But it's just not practical as people give absolutely no consideration to how the name things or descibe them. You also have the language barrier. Do you list a stack of railroad ties as "ties" or "sleepers" for example.

The Shift+Ctrl+F filter is very useful but it isn't available in S20. I can go into CM and create a new filter or pick list but it is a lot quicker to go into Surveyor Classic if I am looking for say assets installed in the last two days or with a specific category region.

Got it. Thanks. I've never played around with Pick Lists, so maybe I need to. It seems like it would do basicly the same thing, just in a different format.
Set it up in CM using the pick lists? then just change to the relevant Pick list in Surveyor in the Search dialogue.

Put simply you could have a pick list for say Farm houses small, one for Farm houses large, if you follow.

Got it. Thanks. I've never played around with Pick Lists, so maybe I need to. It seems like it would do basicly the same thing, just in a different format.

Here is a way to look at your suggestion. Would you rather have:

1. Content creators or N3V deciding how to group assets to make them easier for you to find, hoping that everyone understood all the possible languages in the name, and also hoping that not too much poorly done, duplicative, broken, and otherwise questionable stuff gets categorized that you have to scroll through?

2. Creating your own picklists, as others have suggested, with assets you are familiar with, organized in a way meaningful to you?

Another plus for picklists: They allow you to choose some asset you have used before, which makes your route more efficient.

Ok, I'm ready to put this to bed. It was just an idea and it's not going anywhere anyway. Microsoft doesn't name my folders and sub folders. I do
N3V doesn't name my pick lists...I do.
All I was saying is I'd like to be able to refine and narrow my search.
When I click on "Objects" I'd like that to open user defined sub directories make finding that one building, track or whatever quicker.
Time to just move on...

Last edited:
Your suggestion of sub-folders, Rick will bring us back to TRS2004 and before. This was how the old Surveyor menu worked. The content-creator would setup a sub-category for their assets. You can still see this in some of the descriptions of older assets. While this system was useful, and in some instances, it was useful it's not helpful today with so many assets and also because we have the search-filter available that was introduced in TRS2009 which effectively made that old method obsolete.

What was happening in the older version is every content-creator had his or her own category for their assets which made the menu in Surveyor more and more cumbersome to use.

rick1958 - If you makes you fell any better I've also submitted things to the suggestion boxcar that never went live... It's likly very common. Don't worry about it. Ideas are what makes things better. A thinking mind is better than a stagnet mind! By the way, when Bell pitched his telephone to Western Union the reply was "The device is inherently of no value to us." - The Apple computer was rejected also. Now, thanks to Bell Telephone and Apple Computer we have both as once device! Go figure!

Last edited:
It all good. I'm pretty sure the sun will still come up tomorrow and the earth will continue to spin...LOL
Just throwing an idea out there that I thought might help find that one elusive asset easier.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?169618-Folders-for-Surveyor

What you did wrong is nothing.

The forum is moderated in a different way:
Instead of every topic being visible from the moment of posting and moderators having to remove the junk / spam / etc, all topics are hidden by default unless a moderator approves it.
As it is the suggestion box for N3V, the moderators (for the record: all volunteers, so no N3V employees) usually leave it to Zec (the N3V employee and forum admin in charge), though I have to admit I did approve a few things in the past that I considered great and didn't want to wait for Zec.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back