What advantages or likes does Trainz 2022 have over T:ANE SP4?

JonMyrlennBailey

1. Is there a nicer AI system? Do trains now run seamlessly through Drive Via commands WITHOUT dropping the throttle or slowing down temporarily?
2. Does light no longer shine through bridge decks? Do shadows and light no longer pentrate walls?
3. Is animation of moving trains smoother? Has the slide-show effect even dimished more?
4. Do we have a nicer 3D sound system?
5. Do we have better overall lighting at night? Do we have more realistic ground lighting from stationary light fixtures as lamp posts and buildings?

I saw this video of Kickstarter in 2022 and I tink those animated black/white Holstein cows look cool. There doesn't seem to be such content available for TANE via its CM/DLS. You know how I like all the fancy (eye candy) realistic stuff.

I saw the 31-car Santa Fe Superchief here. I didn't know any station has a platform long enough to support a train like this. Seeing this video by accident sparked my curiosity in post-TANE editions. It would be nice to see nighttime illumination inside the widows of passenger cars and see people inside them too. What's with the junction overlays flashing when AI flips a lever? TANE does that same crap too. Those silver windshield wipers on the F7 look totally scale. Do they even move...swish, swish, swish?

Last edited:
Quick simple answers......YES TRS22 is a hell alot better. I am a route builder....I hate driving trains, but overall, the graphics is the biggest difference you will see in TRS22. If you build routes, you will want the TRS22 Plus. The new surveyor is fantastic.

For a small comparison, go to this post, and the post immediately following it. In them I post screenshots of a farm I modeled in T:ANE SP4, and then carried over to TRS19. You can see there is quite a bit of difference, certainly in saturation, that makes T:ANE look a bit more cartoon-like to me. TRS22 has even more improvements, and they now have improved audio as well. Since having TRS19 my T:ANE install has been more or less an asset archive where I go to see if I have any hard-to-find assets there. I don't even run T:ANE anymore, I think the newer versions are much superior.
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...idual-pieces-on-the-DLS&p=1931753#post1931753

For me : nothing . It's more resource hungry on my PC than TANE . Honestly, i dont like the graphics in TRS19 and TRS22 ( maybe i'm too old for these )

I'm only using the content manager to update old stuff for my TS12 game .

Will not renew my yearly Trainz Plus subscription .

I probably should not buy 2022 just for those animated black and white cows alone. It's about $70 a copy. My home-rolled routes have 10's of 1,000's of 3D trees and are rife with 3D content. TANE on my PC struggles driving through these forests as it is. Somewhat of a slide show.

Quick simple answers......YES TRS22 is a hell alot better. I am a route builder....I hate driving trains, but overall, the graphics is the biggest difference you will see in TRS22. If you build routes, you will want the TRS22 Plus. The new surveyor is fantastic.

Is this the Surveyor where you can edit the route on the fly? I hate having to close Driver, make an edit and start the session from Square One again. I like to diagnose behavioral problems of trains on tracks such as backing to a bumper too close or too far away. Is 2022 really great for advanced "fine-tuning" of routes and sessions? Does 2022 make route building less tedious in many respects?

In SURVEYOR, what can I do in 2022 that I can't do in TANE?

I've never had nor played with 2019. I know nothing about it. Will TANE-created routes/sessions easily import into 2022?

Last edited:
In TRS19 Platinum, you can switch from Surveyor to Driver and back again, and that has carried over into TRS22.

That should be great for test-driving engines during the construction process. See how junctions and signals will act immediately. I like to see how smooth or rough my track work is by doing a test run while in-cab mode. The camera jitter will tell immediately if track is not laid smooth.

Last edited:
I have 2019 edition, thought about 2022 edition. But, then thinking to myself, when is the next one going to be after 2022? Should I hold off and wait for that, instead of 2022?

Will content from TANE work in 22? I just bought 22 but would love to use stuff from my favorite creators without searching for and downloading them again.

Drone level looks ordinary. People level is where trains live and where the Trainz product looks best.
Cobblestone streets have the most character for "normal views". A good example is the Esopus route made by Approach Medium. That prompted me to design in the 1950, or earlier era. Proper sidewalks/with curbs also, help. Almost any scene looks better at ground level. Get down to earth...

Back