Trainz Plus and TRS22 "SP1" Update

The only thing I can think of is there's something corrupted. You can try reinstalling the program from My Trainz and update with a new patch. Let the program build its own fresh database and test. If everything works, then connect to your own data. The program will then run a DBR and update everything and hopefully everything works.

If this doesn't work, put in a query to the helpdesk.

About eight months ago after a build update things were not working as expected. For a while a thought the new build was at fault. I decided to install a fresh copy of Trainz. I used the steps as outlined in post #32 by John. That resolved all the issues. Sometimes during an update the program does become corrupted leading one to believe that the update was bad.

Just noticed the TRS22 SP1 update. Any bugs I should be aware of, or just update?

The update was pretty painless. I recommend backing up your user data folder anyway just in case, being a standard practice before any update. If nothing is bad, then you have a backup which is a good thing anyway to have.

G'day All,

For info, thanks to advice from the Trainz Help Team, I got my game working again by copying the core folders from the original database to a new folder and pointing the new install of the game to that.

Now I just have a bunch of faulty and missing "built in" assets which were fine before the update. But at least it's working now.

The update was pretty painless. I recommend backing up your user data folder anyway just in case, being a standard practice before any update. If nothing is bad, then you have a backup which is a good thing anyway to have.

With the greatest of respect John, that may not be as simple as it seems for all users. Not all of us have the available space or time on our systems to "casually" backup 1.3Tb (in my case) of data.

As an indication, my computer has been running almost constantly since Monday afternoon in order to 1/ move my "Tane data folder (about 800Gb) to a new drive to make space on my usual Trainz data disc then delete it from the original location (I keep the tane data as I can often find older, missing assets in there), 2/ Copy the old TRS22 data (about 1.3Tb) to a new folder and 3/ wait for the game to run an EDBR after I got it running again, and it was only finished this morning, just before I left for work.

But, again, thanks very much for the help and suggestions to get the issue sorted.

Cheers,
Piere.

You are welcome, Piere. I do understand what you are saying.

Moving lots of data is not a painless operation, although it is a lot easier than it used to be. 800 GBs while a good-sized amount of Trainz data is less than half of mine. I frequently copy, overnight, a bit more than 2 TB of data to let the computer do its thing while I do my thing. Having backups and backups of backups is important our whole virtual world exists on media that can turn to dust in an instant and sometimes without notice. I use a utility called FastCopy, but it's not that easy to use and requires a bit of understanding of how directories work, etc.

If you are using spinner drives, meaning the old noisy hard disks, I more than highly recommend running a defrag to speed up the process. This really helps if run prior to any kind of large data operation such as copying and moving and done afterwards helps with the performance of this program and others as well.

I'm glad that N3V was able to resolve your issue. I will remember their little trick and place that in my virtual toolbox for future reference.

Regarding the faulty assets. This is normal after an upgrade and EDBR.

View errors and warnings and many should disappear.

There were a bunch of missing dependencies in my install as well but updating the Content Packs that needed updating, and redownloading content from the DLS that needed that, solved that issue for me. I currently have two sessions which have a missing asset that can't be found anywhere and that's the least of my worries since it doesn't affect the operation.

Disappointingly have to report major problems with any session using EITs. All worked fine with the last beta so really not sure what's changed in the final release.

Having to now hit the Esc key to start the session, except it doesn't start. It is completely stuck (i.e. Driver is not paused). Road vehicles are sat motionless. Driver clock doesn't change. I also don't get the option to select Driver Mode either any more.

Quick CustomHud Manager now reporting errors when you go to edit this rule.

This happens in my own route/session as well as Dearnby & District (knowing that they both use EITs). I have completed an extended DBR.

UPDATE: A PC restart and further extended DBR has fixed this issue.

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited:
You are welcome, Piere. I do understand what you are saying.

I'm glad that N3V was able to resolve your issue. I will remember their little trick and place that in my virtual toolbox for future reference.

Regarding the faulty assets. This is normal after an upgrade and EDBR.

View errors and warnings and many should disappear.

There were a bunch of missing dependencies in my install as well but updating the Content Packs that needed updating, and redownloading content from the DLS that needed that, solved that issue for me. I currently have two sessions which have a missing asset that can't be found anywhere and that's the least of my worries since it doesn't affect the operation.

G'day John,

Yes, I've gone through most of the (not really) faulty assets that I have found so far, and sorted them out.

I'm still stuck about the missing assets though as none of the payware or other packages show as needing an update but TKUID shows them as being built-in items (a few people or passangers by [FONT=&quot]txeroki).[/FONT]

In case it helps (although everyone else probably knows this anyway), this is the info from the Trainz Help Team which worked for me;

[FONT=&quot]"create a new LocalData folder, and then copy the 'local', 'original, 'packages', and 'screenshots' folders from your old LocalData to the new LocalData folder; and then run an extended database by clicking on 'developer' at the top of the launch screen, then hold down the CTRL key and click on 'rebuild database'."

[/FONT]
Cheers,
Piere.

G'day John,

Yes, I've gone through most of the (not really) faulty assets that I have found so far, and sorted them out.

I'm still stuck about the missing assets though as none of the payware or other packages show as needing an update but TKUID shows them as being built-in items (a few people or passangers by txeroki).

In case it helps (although everyone else probably knows this anyway), this is the info from the Trainz Help Team which worked for me;

"create a new LocalData folder, and then copy the 'local', 'original, 'packages', and 'screenshots' folders from your old LocalData to the new LocalData folder; and then run an extended database by clicking on 'developer' at the top of the launch screen, then hold down the CTRL key and click on 'rebuild database'."

Cheers,
Piere.

Piere,

These missing dependencies are missing from dependencies. I discovered this not too long ago because of the same reason. In my install, I had to download some assets from the DLS to fix that.

Thank you for the rest of the details on that Local Data folder fix. I copied that to my notes for future reference.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I installed the SP1 update, and I went from 138 faulty assets to 148. Doesn't appear to have any more issues, but I have only launched Content Manager. Will have to continue to look into it.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I installed the SP1 update, and I went from 138 faulty assets to 148. Doesn't appear to have any more issues, but I have only launched Content Manager. Will have to continue to look into it.

View errors and warnings. Once completed, exit Content Manager and come back in again and view the faulty assets. The faulty assets should have disappeared. If you have any leftover, you need to look into those assets.

In addition to the false-faulty assets, which are common with an update and EDR, you are going to encounter some missing assets in this build. Some of the these are related to any DLC that needs updating for the new build and some assets can be found on the DLS. Once done, your install should be pretty clean.

Tried that, and didn't seem to work. I clicked on everything and downloaded them, and I went down to 136 faulty assets. I might continue my download today. Tried Driver and didn't seem to have any problems. Looks like TRS22 SP1 will be a very smooth update. Thanks for everyone's help!

I offer my report of my personal testing of TRS22 SP1 for those who may be interested:

1. Seems to require less computer resources, computer and the card run cooler.
  2. Patch was seamlessly executed
  3. The vast majority of assets behave well in compatibility mode
  4. Navigational issues can be said to be resolved if the route is correctly and thoroughly signaled.
  5. Four (4) long-standing problem areas remain since TANE and TRS19 still needing to be resolved:
    • Thread pooling
      • The developer continues to have problems with delegating intensive tasks to background threads in the coding such that the graphic simulation can keep moving without temporary interruption. If there is a single content manager (CM) window open, there are disruptive freezes when a) simulation resumes from pause in driver after having made a UDS surveyor edit, b) a saving of a session to disk, or c) changes in the map labeling, d) etc… For some reason, the developer has tied the completion of these simulation tasks to wait for the revalidation of the CM window content, rather than assigning that task to another process thread, hence causing the simulation delay. It is possible that the delay is from SQL telecommunications with the main server, and remains unnoticed due to rapid developer server access, but nevertheless the CM update task should be delegated to another process thread.
    • Portals - the built-in ones
      • Reworked extensively, they behave well for the first half hour of a game, which is likely how long they've been tested. Unfortunately, they deteriorate into bedlum if a simulation is run an hour or more. This even if all trains are kept on the session layer by creating the portals on that layer.
        • Zombies get emitted, which are partial runaway consists ignoring commands and signals, to derail anything that comes in their path, despite a "no derail" setting. It is essentially a missed driver assignment after the portal. The only way to deal with these the UDS, either by deleting them or getting a new loco & driver to couple with it at a low differential speed (i.e. taking a running start).
        • When saved games are loaded, partially emitted trains are regressed backwards into the portal, or become "Zombie" emissions.
        • Portals eventually stop consuming and stop emitting after 2 to 12 hours into a simulation.
        • The reloading of any game restarts the portal clocks, which do not run on session time, whereby they alternate between working normally again or resorting to emitting "Zombies".
    • High Consist Count Issues
When there is > 30 consists on the route:

• a) consists can spontaneously "explode" into separate cars in a derailed or runaway state, for no apparent reason and
  • b) a driver can be ousted from his/her loco causing a "Zombie" runaway. The coding has a driver enumeration error when there is a high driver count.
AI Junction Toggling

• [*=3]Occurs when an AI driver toggles a junction for navigation while another train is over it. The frequency of this has come down dramatically, but there is still some bad code remaining that allows this to happen.

Back