Region suddenly faulty

Forester1

Greetings! I made a custom region for the Blackpool Trams route which has been fine for years, and now it is suddenly tonight showing up as faulty. The problem appears to be in the cars list:

; <kuid:78046:100173> : Validating <kuid:78046:100173>
- <kuid:78046:100173> : VE179: The kuid '<kuid:67585:803>' specified in 'car0' is not of the correct type.
- <kuid:78046:100173> : VE179: The kuid '<kuid:67585:804>' specified in 'car1' is not of the correct type.
- <kuid:78046:100173> : VE179: The kuid '<kuid2:268304:1368:1>' specified in 'car2' is not of the correct type.
- <kuid:78046:100173> : VE179: The kuid '<kuid:117608:50329>' specified in 'car3' is not of the correct type.
- <kuid:78046:100173> : VE179: The kuid '<kuid2:92263:8035:1>' specified in 'car4' is not of the correct type.
- <kuid:78046:100173> : VE179: The kuid '<kuid2:92263:8015:1>' specified in 'car5' is not of the correct type.

It started with only car0, but when I compared the config.txt for car0 to the one for car1, suddenly both were incorrect. And as I looked at more, suddenly THEY became incorrect! Mind I am not submitting edits, just opening to look at the config.txt files, and then Reverting to Original. All of the cars are kind "scenery", some of them have a type of "vehicles", but I am not finding type in the wiki. I have not even looked at this route for a long time, so this just appears to be a sudden spontaneous error. It looks like I can remove the type "vehicles" line for each car, but as I said not all of them have that. So, I looked up the error and it said it could also be the category-class. The first two had category-class "VL", which I did not see in the wiki, so I changed them to "V", but that did not help. I am stumped. Maybe itis a DBR or EDBRsituation?

I think for road traffic, the vehicles must be of Kind scenery, but with a trackside tag in their config which makes them Kind scenery-trackside. Their Type (a column heading in Content Manager, not the obsolete config tag "Type") should come up as Track Object.

The trackside tag will usually have a value of 0, or close to it (e.g., 0.01). It is the distance in metres from the road centre-line that the car travels at (or something like that).

VL is a valid category-class for these assets. It stands for Vehicle, Land. It should be listed in the Wiki because it's been around since the early Jurassic period.

I don't know why the cars you named are coming up faulty only now. Have the Region asset or the cars been updated to a trainz-build that has stricter enforcement of the requirements for road traffic?

Last edited:
Thanks Dinorius, I will try working with this information. My custom region is 4.8, but I created it a couple years ago, and I think all I did was add a couple of Blackpool type busses or something to the original, but it worked fine back then. The route had an issue with road levels "bumping" at intersections, but I never got back to fixing that. But as to what happened yesterday, no I have not touched any of it for a long time, which is why it was strange to see it suddenly faulty, and then just by looking at things see it get increasingly worse. I did finally complete downloads of dependencies for Chapeavo 3.3 which is also a tram route, so maybe I got newer versions of something that way. Dunno.
EDIT: I guess it could be that updating to SP5 changed something that the database did not notice until right now, as I haven't given it reason to. I update to SP5 back when it came out.

I looked at one bus (the first kuid in your list) and it is just a simple Kind scenery asset, no trackside tag, therefore not a Track Object as far as CM is concerned. You could do a simple test by adding the tag ‘trackside 0’ (without quote marks) to the config of the bus and submit it back into CM. Then re-check your Region asset and see if that bus’s kuid is no longer in the error list.

That would at least tell you why CM is saying your Region is faulty. As to why it’s only doing that now, I still have no solid idea, but I suspect that adding the new dependencies (the Blackpool buses) caused CM to do a deeper validation check than it had done before and this the exposed errors. I think some of this confusion arises because the vehicles themselves are not faulty as simple scenery assets, and it was acceptable in the past for Routes and Regions to call on them to use as road traffic. The rules changed at some point and now require vehicles to be Track Objects to function better in the role of traffic, but perhaps the validation check isn’t triggered until some change is made to the Region. Not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dinorius, that worked to just add the trackside 0 line. So far, I have only had to fix the ones listed, the rest of the list is OK for now, but I will know what to do if more show up. I had one of those that then needed the ".texture" files converted to ".texture.txt" and ".tga", but I am very familiar with that. Odd that it was only one! I very much appreciate your help andsupport to get this resolved!

Back