Is it so difficult to open a thread in its proper place?

Frank_Dean

We are in the general section of the Trainz forum although some are unaware of it.

Any problems or doubts related to Trainz 2022, 2019, Tane, 2012, and previous versions, have their own section.
A good policy to follow would be to not answer or ignore anyone who doesn't put their question in its proper place.

For a new forumer who makes a mistake in his first post is normal and forgivable, but those who have several dozen posts and even more than a hundred, I consider it disrespectful to the other members of the forum.

This is not only rude but also in violation of the Code of Conduct.

Code Of Conduct - TrainzOnline (ts2009.com)

Specifically, No. 15

Submitting messages that are not within the designated forum areas identified subject, scope or defined topic. Please note that all posts made to any forum area must comply in all respects with all other standards and requirements as stipulated in this Code of Conduct.

Can I get in trouble for saying the following? Moderators are not very involved in keeping forum protocol. Tane, 19, 22 threads are constantly in General Section. Computer hardware posts in any/all forums. etc etc etc. As for the "Mainline" section there might as well just be "19," "22," and "Everything else" forums and be done with it. In fact, the code of conduct is largely ignored by users and moderators. But I guess if it's OK with N3V it's OK by me but they really should just remove the code of conduct stuff if it's not going to be enforced.

Problem is IMO we have a Generation who's experience of the internet is based on that dreadful social media junk, something organised like a forum with sections for various topics is probably too hard to fathom out....

The problem I have is when a thread fits multiple categories. Let's say a thread is about a topic that has some overlap in Suggestion Boxcar and the TRS2022 section. Which section does it go in? If I ever run into this problem, I just put it in the General Trainz section and then let the Mods move it to the proper place, which is very rare.

Frank_Dean is correct, and it would be nice if people started their threads in the appropriate sub-forum, but you know what people are like.

I get around the problem by always using "New Posts" or "Quick links/Today's Posts" menus when casually browsing the Forum. It's a lot faster than opening each of the many (too many?) separate Forum areas.

If I am looking for something specific, again I don't look in each area separately. I use the Advanced Search function, or Google to search forums.auran.com

Last edited:
Can I get in trouble for saying the following? Moderators are not very involved in keeping forum protocol. Tane, 19, 22 threads are constantly in General Section. Computer hardware posts in any/all forums. etc etc etc. As for the "Mainline" section there might as well just be "19," "22," and "Everything else" forums and be done with it. In fact, the code of conduct is largely ignored by users and moderators. But I guess if it's OK with N3V it's OK by me but they really should just remove the code of conduct stuff if it's not going to be enforced.

If you think a thread is in the wrong place, you can report the first post to tell us mods to move it. There is only a handful of us, we can't look at every post.

peter

There is only a handful of us [moderator], we can't look at every post.

... and you are unpaid volunteers, rarely (if ever) get any praise, frequently suffer abuse and criticism, are expected to be on duty 24/7 and have infinite patience when dealing with fools (like me).

However, you do get my appreciation, for what it is worth.

Most teachers are probably internet junkies from that Tower of Babel.

Few of the targets of the thread will read this.

It will become worse as more messages are constructed in a TWITter format.

If you think a thread is in the wrong place, you can report the first post to tell us mods to move it. There is only a handful of us, we can't look at every post.

peter

Thanks for the reply Peter. In my post #3 I said that "moderators are not very involved." I want to make clear that I didn't mean that as a criticism of the mods, but rather, just stating a fact. There are far too many posts to be moderated properly. My point, which wasn't very clear, was that if N3V can't supply moderation (including if by volunteers) they should perhaps just "simplify" the forums.

I thank those who volunteer and try to make a difference. But ultimately, you are correct. It's up to the users to report things.

So I thank all mods!

Back