Error when trying to export CDPs

BR Express Blue
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Hello,

I am experiencing an issue with backing up my routes.
Namely, when I try to export any asset to CDP
[/FONT]using TRS19 (SP5, build 116960).

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]This always used to work fine, but now, for some reason, when I try to export an asset
Trainz freezes for about half a minute before throwing an error that says:

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"The save file operation failed to connect to the open and save panel service."[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
This is preventing me from making backups of my routes, which as you can imagine is quite alarming.

I have already submitted a support ticket to N3V, and they suggested re-installing TRS19.
Before trying that, I'd like to know if anyone knows of any alternatives which might fix this issue?

Everything apart from exporting CDPs works fine for me, and I don't want to re-install the game unless it's necessary.
Thank you,
[/FONT]

I've never seen that error before but there are some things that come to mind.

How much disk space do you have?

How big is the route you're trying to export?

The last issue relates to how big the CDP will be in the end. I think the limit is about 1 GB or maybe a bit more. The amount of free space required is not only the amount of space to hold the CDP but also the amount needed to process the assets and compress them into the archive. If there's no wiggle room to compress the data, there's going to be some kind of error message.

Is the route open for editing?

This can be cause by a crash that left the data open, or you have the route open and have gone back to Content Manager to export the route to a CDP.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I do have sufficient disk space, and one route I tried to export wasn't even half a megabyte in size, so I don't think it's that.
Thing is, exporting these same routes used to work with no issue, it just doesn't anymore.

All assets I tried to export were just 'Modified' and not 'Open for edit'.

Have you tried rebooting, then doing a EDBR. Sometimes an editor gets stuck open and won't allow the compiler to finish the edit. Just a thought.

What is the save path for exporting the CDP's?
Before, the save path was always set to my desktop, but that menu doesn't even come up.
Right after clicking "Export to CDP...", Trainz freezes for half a minute before throwing this error.

Have you tried rebooting, then doing a EDRB. Sometimes an editor gets stuck open and won't allow the compiler to finish the edit. Just a thought.
I have restarted my computer multiple times, and unfortunately it did not help. I've just started an Extended Database Rebuild and will post its result when it's complete.

This is not a Trainz thing. Looking on the internet this is just one sample of a lot of other complaints in the past.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...-the-open-file-operation-failed-to-connect-to

I see...

Unfortunately the EDRB has not helped with this issue.

I would like to try N3V's suggestion of re-installing Trainz next.
Although before trying it, I'd like to know – how safe is this for my routes?

If I downloaded and ran the installer again, would this affect
the current content in my database or my access to it
(AKA the routes I now cannot create backups of) in any way?

Thank you,

I assume you on a Mac? A search on StackOverflow, as mentioned by StageCoach, suggests it is a Mac issue so I'm not 100% convinced a reinstall will solve the issue. But its worth a try.

Anyway, before reinstalling Trainz I'd take a complete copy of your local data folder which is identified in the Settings tab of the startup panel. Once reinstalled, you can point the location to your saved local data. The copy could be quite large if you have lots of content. 60GB and more is not uncommon.

The error sounds to me like the operating system service that provides a "save" location dialog is failing.

Hello,
Apologies for the late reply.

Yes, I am using TRS19 for macOS (Monterey 12.3.1), but the thing is that this problem never occured on my brother's Mac (with the same OS, game version and system specs), and for me it always used to work too.

My data folder is 391 GB so I don't have sufficient disk space to copy it, but if this directory does become inacessible after the TRS19 re-install I should be able to get it back from a backup.

Thinking about it, for a while now Trainz's "Precaching content..." has been happening more often and sometimes takes hours to finish – could this be related?

Thanks,

Hello again,

A quick update: before re-installing TRS19, I had one more idea – what if I copied the TRS19 app over from my brother's Mac, and tried exporting CDPs with that instead, leaving everything else as it is?
After I did this, the issue was fixed.

Thank you all for your replies,

Hello again,

A quick update: before re-installing TRS19, I had one more idea – what if I copied the TRS19 app over from my brother's Mac, and tried exporting CDPs with that instead, leaving everything else as it is?
After I did this, the issue was fixed.

Thank you all for your replies,

You can try doing that, but keep in mind that you'll have to log in to TRS19 and point his install to your database. If he logs in, then there may be permissions issues with the data if he doesn't have all the same DLC you have.

Back