3Ds MAX resolution screen problem (help)

ish6

Since 2001
Hello Community

When working in 3dmax everything is fine until I minimalized the software and then come back to it, this is what happens! Please look at screen shot below -- Has anyone encountered this issue with 3dmax, or any program, and do you have a solution on how to fix it! --this never happened to me before!

Thanks in advance
Ish

3VxU9Qh.jpg

Ish,

I had the same problem once. It was when I tried running 3ds Max 2009 on a laptop. It could run gmax quite OK, but it was not good enough to run Max reliably. It would load Max OK but would not fully refresh the screen, even when just changing from one viewport to another. Rectangular areas of the view were not updated properly and just stayed frozen on the screen. The graphics card was stand-alone, not motherboard, but I suspect it was inadequate. The same program, installed on my desktop PC, ran reliably for many years without any sign of those problems.

At the very least, update your graphics driver and DirectX files, try a few different settings in the driver setup and see if anything works. Does your graphics card have enough memory to run that version of Max? Which version of Max is it?

Last edited:
It has happened to me in Blender, after 7 or 8 hours of continuous work on the same model, and with other applications simultaneously, but simply by changing to another ViewPort and returning to the one I was working on, it would refresh correctly...
I assume some issue with the cached memory of application maybe.
Usually save and restart the application at least once to maintain a fresh working environment.

Ish,

...omississ...

The graphics card was stand-alone, not motherboard, but I suspect it was inadequate. The same program, installed on my desktop PC, ran reliably for many years without any sign of those problems.

At the very least, update your graphics driver and DirectX files, try a few different settings in the driver setup and see if anything works. Does your graphics card have enough memory to run that version of Max? Which version of Max is it?

Totally agreed with that: the problem is the graphics card power; 3D graphics soft require always a lot of resources.

It has happened to me in Blender, after 7 or 8 hours of continuous work on the same model, and with other applications simultaneously, but simply by changing to another ViewPort and returning to the one I was working on, it would refresh correctly...
I assume some issue with the cached memory of application maybe.
Usually save and restart the application at least once to maintain a fresh working environment.

Hello D -

Thank you sir your insight -- I'll look into it!

Take Care
Ish

Ish,

I had the same problem once. It was when I tried running 3ds Max 2009 on a laptop. It could run gmax quite OK, but it was not good enough to run Max reliably. It would load Max OK but would not fully refresh the screen, even when just changing from one viewport to another. Rectangular areas of the view were not updated properly and just stayed frozen on the screen. The graphics card was stand-alone, not motherboard, but I suspect it was inadequate. The same program, installed on my desktop PC, ran reliably for many years without any sign of those problems.

Hello D

Hope things are well at your end?

Using 3d max 2012 -- my video card is Geforce GTX 750 TI -- when an update is available it lets me know but I'll double check! -- Also using DirectX 12 -- I'll check on how to update DirectX since not sure how to do that!

Thanks for the help, D!
Ish

Totally agreed with that: the problem is the graphics card power; 3D graphics soft require always a lot of resources.

Thanks for your post -- Thing is never had issues with 3d max in the pass!

Take care
Ish

Tried just pressing F5 to refresh the screen? Might work in Max. Or, no longer got Max installed but If I remember correctly View then Redraw all Views might restore the proper display.

DX12 is built in to the OS, you can't update it other than by Windows update doing it, these days probably without you knowing and a GTX 750 TI only supports DX11.5 which was a nearly DX12 bodge by Nvidia so unlikely that is the problem as Windows will only use the version that the GPU supports, in this case DX11 plus some parts of DX12 but not all, confusing eh?
Presumably it's only got 2GB of Vram on the GPU which may not be helping.
Latest Nvidia Driver which covers the GTX 750 TI here. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/148584/
Might also want to check if Win11's annoying Game bar is active and disable it, causes more problems than it solves IMO.

3ds Max 2012 requires that DirectX9 not included in Win10 or 11 unless you installed something that installed it, games often do.

Hello D

Hope things are well at your end?

Using 3d max 2012 -- my video card is Geforce GTX 750 TI -- when an update is available it lets me know but I'll double check! -- Also using DirectX 12 -- I'll check on how to update DirectX since not sure how to do that!

Thanks for the help, D!
Ish

Thanks for your post -- Thing is never had issues with 3d max in the pass!

Take care
Ish

The laptop video card that gave me problems with 3DS Max 2009 was, from memory, a GTX 780M (is that a thing?). Presumably Max 2012 needs even more VRAM than Max 2009. Let's face it, any 700 series card is very old now. It could be time to invest in a new PC.

The laptop video card that gave me problems with 3DS Max 2009 was, from memory, a GTX 780M (is that a thing?). Presumably Max 2012 needs even more VRAM than Max 2009. Let's face it, any 700 series card is very old now. It could be time to invest in a new PC.

Here's some info on the GTX 750 Ti.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (Desktop Graphics Card) - NotebookCheck.net Tech

It doesn't handle heavy loads well.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

This is a high-end laptop GPU that did pretty well in its day and is related to the 680 but faster.

These are 700-series cards and are bit old today as you noted.

Tried just pressing F5 to refresh the screen? Might work in Max. Or, no longer got Max installed but If I remember correctly View then Redraw all Views might restore the proper display.

DX12 is built in to the OS, you can't update it other than by Windows update doing it, these days probably without you knowing and a GTX 750 TI only supports DX11.5 which was a nearly DX12 bodge by Nvidia so unlikely that is the problem as Windows will only use the version that the GPU supports, in this case DX11 plus some parts of DX12 but not all, confusing eh?
Presumably it's only got 2GB of Vram on the GPU which may not be helping.
Latest Nvidia Driver which covers the GTX 750 TI here. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/148584/
Might also want to check if Win11's annoying Game bar is active and disable it, causes more problems than it solves IMO.

3ds Max 2012 requires that DirectX9 not included in Win10 or 11 unless you installed something that installed it, games often do.

Good Morning Malc

Thank you, sir, so much!!! What you just detailed it's so informative and helpful to determine what steps to take next! You have given me a few idea to do here at home, perhaps upgrade the video card, since I really deeply enjoy creating contents that's unique and different, but reasonable, and not too sci-fi! LOL

Take Care, and always be healthy!
Ish

Hello D

Yes, sir, that's what I was thinking if I want to continue creating contents for Marsz! This pc is custom made that I put together a number of years ago, so I have to go under the hood and do some upgrading, which is a pain, because it's like a million cables behind this computer ... LOL

Take care D
Ish

Always talking about Blender, in my case, I didn't mention that I was using a 2 Gb GTX750 Ti back then... today I only use a Ryzen 5600G with 6 Gb allocated for integrated video.
The only difference (I think) is that the Integrated Graphics simply display on the screen, while the Render is done by cpu.
I haven't noticed any problems, but as I said I've gotten used to saving and closing after a few hours...
Let's also say that I no longer use the GTX 750 to run Trainz, since 5600G alone is slightly more efficient...

Hello D

Yes, sir, that's what I was thinking if I want to continue creating contents for Marsz! This pc is custom made that I put together a number of years ago, so I have to go under the hood and do some upgrading, which is a pain, because it's like a million cables behind this computer ... LOL

Take care D
Ish

You built it yourself? I am impressed. I could never do that. I get some guys I trust and simply throw money at them when my current PC looks like it can’t run the next big Ubisoft game at reasonably high settings. Their previous build kept me going for 7 years, so it was well worth the money.

Off topic: how did you get Graphite Tools to appear on Max 2012? I have Max 2012 too, but it doesn’t seem to have that toolbar or ribbon. *Edit: Never mind, I had to first enable it via Customize - Show UI - Show ribbon.

Last edited:
Always talking about Blender, in my case, I didn't mention that I was using a 2 Gb GTX750 Ti back then... today I only use a Ryzen 5600G with 6 Gb allocated for integrated video.
The only difference (I think) is that the Integrated Graphics simply display on the screen, while the Render is done by cpu.
I haven't noticed any problems, but as I said I've gotten used to saving and closing after a few hours...
Let's also say that I no longer use the GTX 750 to run Trainz, since 5600G alone is slightly more efficient...

Hello D

Thank you for your insight on this subject! It's very helpful to determine what casue to take!

Take care
Ish

You built it yourself? I am impressed. I could never do that. I get some guys I trust and simply throw money at them when my current PC looks like it can’t run the next big Ubisoft game at reasonably high settings. Their previous build kept me going for 7 years, so it was well worth the money.

Off topic: how did you get Graphite Tools to appear on Max 2012? I have Max 2012 too, but it doesn’t seem to have that toolbar or ribbon. *Edit: Never mind, I had to first enable it via Customize - Show UI - Show ribbon.

Hello D -

Thanks for the kind words, sir -- I built 3 PC in the past -- My first was one early 2000s, and it took me like two days because i was reading the guidance manual that came with it like a million times, so I get everything right, and then installed windows! Man, was i happy everything worked fine, since I plug in memory, video card, and CPU which is so hard to press down! The next two were quite simple, and it took a few to a few hours! Today, due to my health and poor eyesight I just buy everything already installed although barebone back then was much cheaper, and much power if you bought the right one! And lastly, if we knew each other I would have built your barebone, and all it would cost you, sir, a large pizza pie with extra extra cheese, I'm deep serious about that!!!

Glad you've figured out the graphite tool on 3d max!

Take care, be healthy!
Ish

That's odd as they are in 3ds Max 2010 which is where they were introduced, should be an entry to enable them under tools, leastwise that's where they are in max 2010.

That's odd as they are in 3ds Max 2010 which is where they were introduced, should be an entry to enable them under tools, leastwise that's where they are in max 2010.

Malc,

I only started using Max 2012 recently. I wasn’t even aware it had the Graphite Tools until I saw Ish’s screenshot. They were not displayed by default and the Help file didn’t mention Graphite. Luckily, Google found other users with the same problem and the Show Ribbon tip was the key solution. Maybe there is still an entry under Tools, I will need to check that, but at the time I didn’t know where to start looking. Max’s interface is like a jungle sometimes.

D

Last edited:
Hi guys,

About 18 months ago Windows did an update and when using Max 9 I had an issue with the screen. If you selected an area in a viewport it remained on the screen and would not disappear when zooming or changing to another viewport. After a while it was impossible to see around multiple patches that remained on the screen and I had to restart Max to clear it.

I found a post on a graphics forum that said to make a copy of the max.exe file in the install directory and run Max from that. It worked and I had no more problems, black magic I think.

I notice Ish is using Max 12 though, I have not had this problem in Max 12.

Ian

Last edited:
Hi guys,

About 18 months ago Windows did an update and when using Max 2009 I had an issue with the screen. If you selected an area in a viewport it remained on the screen and would not disappear when zooming or changing to another viewport. After a while it was impossible to see around multiple patches that remained on the screen and I had to restart Max to clear it.

I found a post on a graphics forum that said to make a copy of the max.exe file in the install directory and run Max from that. It worked and I had no more problems, black magic I think.

I notice Ish is using Max 12 though, I have not had this problem in Max 12.

Ian

Hello Ian, sir

Hope you are well and healthy, sir at your end of the world!

Interesting -- it seems with me it's a graphic card issue, so for the mean time I'll try your step til I upgrade! Crossing-fingers it works here!

Thank you, sir!
Ish

Hi Ian,

Tried it, but no cigar, sir -- an upgrade of my video card is still needed! Well, at least we tried!

Take care, sir
Ish

Back