win+11+22h2 Update bug can slow file downloading by 40%

blueodessey

Good Day all,

Using WIN 11 for ASUS PC, just got notice of Feature update last night. When I went to look on WEB for additional information, came across this BUG notice for update with potential issues.:confused:

Below is what I could paste from article........Hope this is helpful to the Forum......For me, I am going to pause my installation for a few weeks on wait and see basis how this update works out.........Like any Software it not 100% error free, and I don't care for unforeseen surprises. :(

Link to article:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/134...bug-can-slow-down-file-downloading-by-40.html

Windows 11 2022 Update bug can slow file downloading by 40%

Local file copies can slow down, too, due to the same 22H2 bug.

By Mark Hachman Senior Editor,PCWorld Oct 4, 2022 10:05 am PDT

Downloading and even copying local files may be as much as 40 percent slower using Windows 11’s 2022 Update, a Microsoft program manager has confirmed.
Ned Pyle, a principal program manager at Microsoft, wrote that there is a performance regression in Windows 11’s 2022 Update (22H2) when copying files from a remote computer using the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol. The performance hit was unearthed by Petri.com.

It’s not entirely clear whether copying files will slow down when downloading them from a remote server, or merely accessing them from a remote PC. Microsoft doesn’t appear to know quite yet, either. “The issue is not actually in SMB code, so I can’t give you an ETA for a permanent fix yet; SMB is just the most likely scenario to be noticed,” Pyle wrote. “You could see this behavior even with local file copies not using SMB. We’re working with another team to understand this and get to a permanent solution.”

The slowdown appears to manifest when copying down or downloading “large” (multi-gigabyte) files from a remote machine onto a PC running Windows 11 2022 Update. Files that are copied to another PC not running the Windows 11 2022 Update won’t see the slowdown, Pyle wrote.

There is a workaround. “se robocopy or xcopy with the /J (unbuffered IO) parameter,” Pyle wrote, which will return performance to the expected levels. Pyle provided an example of the code:
robocopy \\someserver\someshare c:\somefolder somefile.ned /J Last week, Microsoft reported a printer bug that manifested when printers were unable to communicate their advanced features to a host PC, which prevented those features from working. Microsoft blocked users with the issue from upgrading to 22H2.

Mark Hachman, Senior Editor

author_photo_Mark-Hachman_1632347568-6.jpeg

As PCWorld's senior editor, Mark focuses on Microsoft news and chip technology, among other beats. He has formerly written for PCMag, BYTE, Slashdot, eWEEK, and ReadWrite.

Last edited:
This came up a day or two ago on 11 Forum however not apparent in the latest Beta here. 22H2 build 2263.730. I did a test of a 10GB download which maintained a steady 71.3 Mbps which is pretty much normal for my BT fibre at 75Mbps.

These reports of bugs are of no help if they don't give the effected build number(s) there currently several 22H2 builds floating around as in RTM, Insider Preview, Insider Beta (split into two builds at present).

Last edited:
As a result of doing the same upgrade to win 11 this morning I have now lost all shortcut setting for all my Trainz versions (that is Tane/TS19/TS22) so now the shortcuts no longer work at all and also they are deleted from the taskbar as well. It appears this latest upgrade is messing with peoples machines and Microsoft do not as yet know the answer why? Also my password for all Trainz products was also deleted at this upgrade so needed redoing again on all trainz products.

As a result of doing the same upgrade to win 11 this morning I have now lost all shortcut setting for all my Trainz versions (that is Tane/TS19/TS22) so now the shortcuts no longer work at all and also they are deleted from the taskbar as well. It appears this latest upgrade is messing with peoples machines and Microsoft do not as yet know the answer why? Also my password for all Trainz products was also deleted at this upgrade so needed redoing again on all trainz products.

Thank you all for comments and updates,

And this is the specific reason I did not install this Update at 0300 Dark Thirty in the Morning, I had a bad feeling about doing it, after reading a bunch of what stuff it was going to change.....

This sounds like your user profile is damaged or missing. The information such as logins and settings are kept in that data. Why this occurred, is hard to say. There are many things that can cause this including some corrupted data to start with prior to the upgrade.

With that said, I'm going to hold off on updating until I hear otherwise. I usually do that anyway when there's a new version out to give it a chance to settle in before updating myself. I learned the hard way a long time ago by jumping way too soon.

This sounds like your user profile is damaged or missing. The information such as logins and settings are kept in that data. Why this occurred, is hard to say. There are many things that can cause this including some corrupted data to start with prior to the upgrade.

With that said, I'm going to hold off on updating until I hear otherwise. I usually do that anyway when there's a new version out to give it a chance to settle in before updating myself. I learned the hard way a long time ago by jumping way too soon.

With Microsoft I always run Insider builds, updates including feature updates are done in stages and are usually pretty problem free, if using the Public RTM version of Windows you get a large update in one go which often causes problems, think of another software with a similar "feature"?

Not got an RTM install here but there have been Insider issues.

There have been some weird issue in the last week with Insider updates that are available not being available and the insider page saying you have an older version than you actually have and the Feedback Hub is not working properly, in my case I was on build 22622.601, 22623.703 was according to Microsoft due to be downloaded by Windows update, wasn't there, checked Insider page and it said I was on 22621.436, totally confusing especially as 436 wasn't in my installed updates list, totally confusing!
There was also an Update Stack package I had acquired since 601 that had sneaked in, usually they are included with the Win Update and don't show up as installed. Clutching at straws I concluded it was something to do with the Update Stack so I restore my Macrium Reflect image for 436, that then updated to 601 plus the Update Stack which then updated to 703, all now good as far as updates. The Feedback hub is still screwed as it wouldn't let me send any feedback on their mess! Did mage to upvote someone else's which Microsoft stated they are aware of.

MS have responded!

Beta Channel Build 22622.730 Not Found For All users

Hello Windows Insiders,

Many of you are aware of this issue as you've possibly hit this on one of your own devices. Creating this thread to clarify the issue and provide updates as we work to root cause and bypass. Here are the details:

What: Some users in the Beta Channel are not being offered the 22632.730 build for download to their device running WIP preview builds.

Who: Users configured to the Beta Channel and have build 22622.601 currently installed

When: This issue began on Thursday, 9/29 when we released the 22623.730/22621.730 builds externally to the Beta Channel

Why: The root cause is not yet known.

Next steps: Thanks to your feedback submissions we have a variety of update logs to review, each of which have been extremely helpful in focusing our investigation into this issue. We've also captured more verbose trace logs on an internal device that has provided valuable insights and is guiding our efforts.

We know this is frustrating for affected users, we have internal employees hitting it too! Data has helped us eliminate some potential culprits and allowed us to focus more deeply on others. While we don't have specific details to share currently, please know we're actively investigating and the size of the crew working to help resolve this issue is significant. We all want you to get the build too!

Thank you in advance for your feedback and patience as we continue working this issue. If we need additional data or logs, we'll definitely reach out. Stay tuned to this thread for updates as we have them!

- Jason

And this just the Insider Beta, heaven knows what they have done with the regular updates.

I can't wait for the new "Moments" that MS are now going to call small feature updates.:confused:

Can't find anything on Stevie's problem yet, or any admission actually from Microsoft Devs over the alleged SMB speed issue.

There's a Win 10 22H2 update about to appear for Win10 as well, already got it via Windows Insider and it's nothing more than small update, might want to hold off for a week or two though in case MS have screwed that up now as well.

Oh boy, it's a bit messy, isn't it? :)

I am part of the Insider Program since its inception in 2014, however my new Dell came with Windows 11 Pro and I'm not participating at the moment since my machine is still under warranty. In the early Windows 11 betas, I got hit with a similar version issue you have described. I attributed that to my install only since I was using "non-compliant" hardware and had a bunch of motherboard issues as well. Little did I know that this similar issue would rear its head again later on. In some ways this reminds me of the current sinking ties issue that was originally discovered in TANE but tricky to pinpoint due to its rare occurrence.

Thank you guys I wish now I had not hit the install now button but never really had a problem with these updates before but this one has really messed stuff up. Lesson learned.

Something else I have found now as well. All downloaded content has now been transferred to my C drive instead of my portable HDD (IN other words it has reverted my instructions on where to put downloaded stuff back to the original drive. This has been changed in settings etc local data folder without my permission or my intervention at all. leading to me having a full C: drive now as I had been downloading stuff GRRRR.
Update I have now found it has done exactly the same with my install of Tane and also TS19 so its back to square one for all of it.
I also now cannot find the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE etc etc as it seems to have hidden them in a different way now? So any clues as to how to find them again (any help appreciated before I tear out what little hair I have left)
Update 2
I have now found that somehow my extra HDD has become drive F and not E as it was and also it has shortened my username by 1 letter (which is why I could not find my hidden directories) This is all very odd ?

Last edited:
Something else I have found now as well. All downloaded content has now been transferred to my C drive instead of my portable HDD (IN other words it has reverted my instructions on where to put downloaded stuff back to the original drive. This has been changed in settings etc local data folder without my permission or my inervention at all. leading to me having a full C: drive now as I had been downloading stuff GRRRR.

Sounds more like a full OS reset than a Windows update, as in keep your data, effectively that's the stuff in documents and removal of everything else,which gets shoved in Windows old. Updates and feature upgrades normally don't mess with anything other than the OS.
If it was as it was supposed to be a feature upgrade there should be a C:\Windows old folder and you can roll back to the previous build which might be the best move.

Random guess is something is amiss on Microsoft's servers given the other problems.

Last edited:
Updated ASUS Laptop "Windows 11, version 22H2"

Good Friday evening all,

Couple of days ago I did the latest Win11 Features upgrade, AKA
"Windows 11, version 22H2"

synopsis: 2 hours to download Update! (sloooooooooow):'(

1 hour or less to install on my ASUS Laptop 4 yrs old next January makes 5! Dinosaur........:hehe:

So far it didn't change to much, I think it could be due to me using Star Dock program and customization feature mgr. with Windows Versions.

https://www.stardock.com/

Had this manager for probably some 15 years, only had a minor problem in 2nd release, due to me not understanding how some of the Features worked. And went back and read their help files.....;)

The grand thing about this program as I see it, you can remove anytime from your windows, reboot after uninstall, Wins is back to base MENU SYSTEM and other things with no hassle. Over the years I probably uninstall and reinstalled it due to a problem in Windows not with Stardock.

Wiki Info:Stardock Corporation is a software development company founded in 1991 and incorporated in 1993 as Stardock Systems. Stardock initially developed for the OS/2 platform, but was forced to switch to Microsoft Windows due to the collapse of the OS/2 software market between 1997 and 1998. Wikipedia

Tonight I just got a request on my Lenovo S540 Travel Laptop for upgrade. Since I am on a family outing for a few days, I pushed the update back a week.....Maybe 2 weeks, I'm in no rush to add the upgrade.

So far so good now........But I am keeping a close eye on ASUS, files are backed to the Cloud if something arises. :wave:

So far it didn't change to much, I think it could be due to me using Star Dock program and customization feature mgr. with Windows Versions.

Can you tell me which Stardock programs you use that are affected? I have a Stardock sub and mostly just use Fences and Start11. Fences, which I've used forever, has been very slow recently to move fence groups around and generally not happy.

And I loved OS/2. Spent quite a few years developing and maintaining software for it.

Oh, and I see Windows has 22H2 waiting to install if I want. The release notes talk a lot about Start features so it's probably going to mess up Start11. I might see what Stardock say before doing anything.

Oh, and I see Windows has 22H2 waiting to install if I want. The release notes talk a lot about Start features so it's probably going to mess up Start11. I might see what Stardock say before doing anything.

People using Stardock stuff in 22H2 in 11 forum haven't found any issues.

Most people probably won't see much different between 22H1 and 22H2. I've been on 22H2 for months as an Insider and it doesn't really look any different

Main Start difference is you can add more pinned stuff to the 11 Start Menu pinned part and reduce the wasted space on it, still crap IMO, need to go to the settings to enable it and you may or may not get tabs on the File Manager.

I keep it simple here and just use Open Shell which has an infinitely better start menu than the junk MS provide in 11 and a registry hack to restore context menu functionality so it's a full list again.

Microsoft have confirmed the SMB slowdown bug.

Copying large multiple gigabyte (GB) files might take longer than expected to finish on Windows 11, version 22H2. You are more likely to experience this issue copying files to Windows 11, version 22H2 from a network share via Server Message Block (SMB) but local file copy might also be affected.Windows devices used by consumers in their home or small offices are not likely to be affected by this issue.

As I said not affecting anything here so pretty much a non event for home users.

Can you tell me which Stardock programs you use that are affected? I have a Stardock sub and mostly just use Fences and Start11. Fences, which I've used forever, has been very slow recently to move fence groups around and generally not happy.

And I loved OS/2. Spent quite a few years developing and maintaining software for it.

I use Start11, and used it in Win10, didn't go for fences, I decided I had items the way I needed them to be......;)

So far no speed adversity on ASUS ROG Laptop, and it seems Stardock was not affected as far as I can tell. :)

I found this info, it may be of help:

Fences 3 on Windows 11

AddThis Sharing Buttons

Stuck in Loop

March 14, 2022 5:54:58 PM from Stardock Forums

Fences 3 on Windows 11 is stuck in a loop and will not let me refresh Fences. I also tried to start Fences from the Start Menu and was unable to start Fences again. The little window that came up with the error told me to right-click on the desktop and click on refresh. The loop time is so short it ill not let me right-click on the desktop.

Reply #1 March 14, 20

Forgot to mention that before the Fences 3.1.3.3 loop, File Explorer did
not close correctly.
March 14, 2022 9:05:45 PM
Hello,
Sorry to hear you are having issues. Please try purge and reinstall steps as mentioned here: [link]. Just make sure to re-download the latest version from your account. Reboot after the purged. Reinstall, and Reboot again after the installation. Retest it. Report back here
Thanks
Basj,
Stardock Community Assistant.

Reply #3 March 15, 2022 4:40:49 PM from Stardock Forums

Windows 11 was stuck in a loop and a message (small Window, It told me to right-click to restart Fences, but could not because of the loop) from Fences told me that fences was disabled and I could not download your bat file to purge Fences. I had to re-image the laptop. Even the repair option on Windows 11 would not repair the problem. I tried to repair the OS from an USB flash drive. with a Windows 11 ISO image and tried to run sfc /scan now from a command prompt in admin mode.
The re-image new OS worked and I downloaded and installed Fences 3, WindowBlinds, SkinStudio and Start 11.
Thanks for your help!

I found out that the problem was not Fences 3. The same problem (loop with message Fences has been disabled. Right click on Desktop to restart Fences) happened on my Lenovo 2-in1 laptop. The loop ran for 9 times and I looked and saw that the File Explorer windows that came up was skewed. Tat tells me that the problem was WindowBlinds 10. The problem only happens on Windows 11 and WindowBlinds 10. I had WindowBlinds 10 set to use Precision.

My 2-in-1 laptop has Windows 11 Pro build 2200.194. Version 21H2. Intel Processor I7-8565U. I have uninstalled WindowBlinds 10 on all computers with Windows 11 Pro. I still use WindowBlinds 10 on my Windows 10 Pro computer.
Sorry for the error in my judgement.
Thanks for your help.

Neil Banfield
Stardock Forums

Quoting rexxjim,
reply 4

I found out that the problem was not Fences 3. The same problem (loop with message Fences has been disabled. Right click on Desktop to restart Fences) happened on my Lenovo 2-in1 laptop. The loop ran for 9 times and I looked and saw that the File Explorer windows that came up was skewed. Tat tells me that the problem was WindowBlinds 10. The problem only happens on Windows 11 and WindowBlinds 10. I had WindowBlinds 10 set to use Precision.

My 2-in-1 laptop has Windows 11 Pro build 2200.194. Version 21H2. Intel Processor I7-8565U. I have uninstalled WindowBlinds 10 on all computers with Windows 11 Pro. I still use WindowBlinds 10 on my Windows 10 Pro computer.

Sorry for the error in my judgement.

Thanks for your help.

WindowBlinds 10 is not compatible with Windows 11 and must not be used on that OS.
As you have found, doing so will cause explorer to crash whenever an explorer window is opened.

I use Start11, and used it in Win10, didn't go for fences, I decided I had items the way I needed them to be......;)

So far no speed adversity on ASUS ROG Laptop, and it seems Stardock was not affected as far as I can tell. :)

I found this info, it may be of help:

Thanks. I have Fences 4 because I like stuff grouped on the desktop rather than looking through dozens of items in a list. Some of the comments in the link (about purging, etc) interesting.

Microsoft have confirmed the SMB slowdown bug.

As I said not affecting anything here so pretty much a non event for home users.

I saw that myself the other day. I had SMB installed due connecting and managing an older Linux based NAS box. I have since copied all the data off the box and uninstalled SMB, so I should be good to go when the update arrives.

I set my W11 backups to release PLUS 5 weeks. . If you don't NEED the update why take the risk - WAIT

Back