EDIT TRAINS

I have noticed my facility to edit trains in Driver session has vanished & I used to find it useful. I have searched in settings etc but not found how to turn it on again unless an Update had dismissed it. Any advice appreciated as it was a good facility. Thanks

It is not in the newer versions that now use UDS. UDS allows you to instantly switch between Surveyor and Driver and vice versa.

In Driver, Look under the Tools menu for Edit in Surveyor Classic. That takes you into Surveyor where you have access to the Trains panel. After you are through making changes then use the Tools menu again to choose Drive Session and you go back to Driver at the exact point at which you left. Unpause and continue the session.

Sorry, it's just not needed anymore !

I have noticed my facility to edit trains in Driver session has vanished & I used to find it useful. I have searched in settings etc but not found how to turn it on again unless an Update had dismissed it. Any advice appreciated as it was a good facility. Thanks

Back when 2022 was in beta, I started a long thread where numerous members begged N3V to re-instate this feature in " Driver " and Tony said that it was just easy to switch to Surveyor, make ones adjustments and then go back to Driver.

The main problem is when you are faced with the option to SAVE, if you accidently check the wrong box, you over write your original session giving it a new start point of where you are when you save. So, if you just want to save your progress in " Driver " you must make sure you save a new session and that will not show up in a normal sequence when looking to continue from the save.

Even if you drive some of Phil's routes where he manually loads and unloads railcars with " Edit Trains " it is a hassle to go into surveyor and back every time!

Wild Willy the Wacko

Last edited:
Back when 2022 was in beta, I started a long thread where numerous members begged N3V to re-instate this feature in " Driver " and Tony said that it was just easy to switch to Surveyor, make ones adjustments and then go back to Driver.

The main problem is when you are faced with the option to SAVE, if you accidently check the wrong box, you over write your original session giving it a new start point of where you are when you save. So, if you just want to save your progress in " Driver " you must make sure you save a new session and that will not show up in a normal sequence when looking to continue from the save.

Even if you drive some of Phil's routes where he manually loads and unloads railcars with " Edit Trains " it is a hassle to go into surveyor and back every time!

Wild Willy the Wacko

If you go to 19SP1, you will have Edit Trains again. Anyway, for loading cars, there are several driver commands that will work find for this. My commands are InstantLoadAtFocus and InstantUnLoadAtFocus (not sure of the spelling). There are others by other authors that also work for this.

Thanks guys & I will try out the suggestions over the week- end as it will be good to get this facility working once again.

This isn't the only reason for wanting the old way back

If you go to 19SP1, you will have Edit Trains again. Anyway, for loading cars, there are several driver commands that will work find for this. My commands are InstantLoadAtFocus and InstantUnLoadAtFocus (not sure of the spelling). There are others by other authors that also work for this.

I personally don't like the manual procedure for load/unload of commodities and I always include the " Instant Load " and " Instant Unload " commands in my sessions and I occasionally use them while driving but mostly use "Instant load" at the launch of my AI at portals.

What I really liked was how easy it was to:

untie traffic jams with the consist drag tool

delete or replace rail cars or engines with broken couplers

replace a key engine or consist that is accidently wrecked

With the old system, after doing anything with " Edit Trains " when it came time to save progress of the " Driver Session " , you just push the " SAVE " button on your RailDriver and check it off and you have not ruined your original " Session "! It was kind of like mistake proof !

Wild Willy the Wacko

Sometimes you need a manual procedure for industries that are scenery only, or not functioning properly.

Yes, the redaction of Edit Trains was a real loss to the Trainz community.

Are you guys saying that the process shown in the two videos in my Post #2 no longer work?

Your videos are for surveyor. I think some of the discussion has been about loss of that ability in Driver. Who knows? I am not one of the guys saying that your videos do not work, since I don't have 22:cool:.

Last edited:
pitkin --

Thanks.
_____

OK -- can I assume, at least in the first instance, that we are all talking about and using Surveyor 2.0? It combines both Surveyor and Driver.

In the first of my videos, at 1:16, the menu on the left allows locomotives and freight cars to be added to the session. Choose the desired item from the list on the left of the screen and click on the track to spot it.

To rotate, delete, ... see at 1:25.

Then go back into Driver, as at 4:00.
____

If we are using Classic, skip through the second video to 5:50. Here you can load, unload, add, remove, ... .

Someone, anyone, tell me if this helps (or not).

Phil

Hi Phil,

Your videos are correct. Others here are complaining about the change between TRS19 Standard and TRS19 Platinum where the Trains panel appeared in the Driver interface. Remember this thread is in the TRS19 sub-forum.

Last edited:
Hi, Phil, I'd like to second this......

Hi Phil,

Your videos are correct. Others here are complaining about the change between TRS19 Standard and TRS19 Platinum where the Trains panel appeared in the Driver interface. Remember this thread is in the TRS19 sub-forum.

I did watch some of your video and I had the thought that being in 2.0 might be as quick and easy as the original " Edit Trains " but I gave up on 2022 for the time being and I'm working in 2019 since some of my complicated route and session combinations were broken upon being installed in 2022.

I'm pretty busy with what I'm doing now so I have not studied what you are explaining in your video yet.

Wild Willy the Wacko

My solution to this problem is.......

Sometimes you need a manual procedure for industries that are scenery only, or not functioning properly............

I've been slowly learning how to do changes in a route with surveyor.

Specifically, I have found the SAP BI3 industries to be very reliable and easy to use in replacing old " MIN " industries that do not work due to there being no commodities available to choose in the " Tracks " section of the MIN properties box. Since BI3 industries seem to have the exact same format for setting them up for commodities and levels, if you are familiar with them then you can understand and replace them with the BI3's.

I even have replaced industries that actually work like a coal mine industry that one had to stop on top of to load, I replaced that with a SAP interactive one with effects that I can now slowly drive through and each car loads, black dust billows up and I can load a whole string of cars without stopping.

Along the way I learned a little about laying track too !

Wild Willy the Wacko

It is not in the newer versions that now use UDS. UDS allows you to instantly switch between Surveyor and Driver and vice versa.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do this, but it sounds dangerous - to start with, all your trains would be left all over the place, depending where you were in Driver. So often, I find I have to quit Driver, make sure I am still looking at my settings and not purchased ones, then click on Route and only then dare I start making changes. A very long-winded process.

Is this what we all want to go back to (full screen / 1080p):

This was the original TRS19. It carried forward, with some minor modifications, the "Edit Trains" we had in T:ANE. I thought it was excellent. Quick. Simple. Convenient.

Then we got a TRS19 Service patch and the process became:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HQPOaRmfeE&t

I protested at the time. Quite vigorously. As did others. But we were ignored. I'd still like to go back to the former method.

Phil

Last edited:
Is this what we all want to go back to (full screen / 1080p):

This was the original TRS19. It carried forward, with some minor modifications, the "Edit Trains" we had in T:ANE. I thought it was excellent. Quick. Simple. Convenient.

Then we got a TRS19 Service patch and the process became:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HQPOaRmfeE&t

I protested at the time. Quite vigorously. As did others. But we were ignored. I'd still like to go back to the former method.

Phil

Go back to the former method, yes but there are those that like the newer method. I proposed an optional switch. A simple checkbox in the settings so we can switch between the two formats at any time. Why not?

Back