Pantograph setting on A1 - how to set it up so it stays down.

Leo1704

I was wondering how to make the pantograph on an AI train stay down from when it starts or comes onto the layout from a portal. I have seen a couple of posts on this, but this particular point has not quite been settled.

I have tried the following unsuccessfully:

1. I have used the driver commands relating to the pantograph, but as soon as it is lowered, it extends up again immediately.

2. I have downloaded "pantograph trigger" <kuid2:75134:77005:1> and placed it strategically, but again it does not lower the pantograph when an AI train passes over it.

Is there any other way? Is there anyway to alter the config sys file of a locomotive so that the default position is always the pantograph being down at all times? Or some other way?

many thanks
Leo

Hi Leo, you see noone responded to your post, this has a reason.
Kind pantograph is a train/loco dependency that has not changed the last 20 years.
In the base program (AI) it is programmed to go up when the train drives.

The last years I stepped away from using that standard pantograph cause it is not very flexible
What is possible, to add to the loco an attached mesh and animation, you can do that as a so called mesh-asset
It is then visible on the loco, but in itself not functional.

To make it work you need to script, so the animation plays and it goes up exact when you want
this can be done, FI in a view-details screen or as a cabin control.

So yes everything is possible in Trainz, but stepping away from the default behavior, takes a lot of work
Let's hope kind pantograph gets an update in the future.
The simplest way atm is, put catenary wires up to the portal
and just accept an electric loco needs its panto up to drive.
greetings GM

Back