Decoding Pofig

Forester1

Greetings! Being a bit silly and overambitious, I thought I could clone some current trees and make them into pofig substitutes. In past years, people have posted tables to help decipher what the pofig trees are. I have been able to use these to translate unknown KUIDs to a list of trees in his code, but now I need to try to decipher what the codes mean. I have created the following chart:

<kuid:429786:100342> 3D1 Pg EK D6 2-1291 = Tree6
<kuid:429786:100337> 3D1 Pg EK K2 3-2388 = Bush2
<kuid:429786:1031> 3DE Pg Abh Db1 5-2297 = small series oak
<kuid:429786:100148> 3D1 Pg EK EL1 11-985 = Fir1
<kuid:429786:100140> 3D1 Pg EK EL1w-2466 = Fir1w
<kuid:429786:100345> 3D1 Pg EK D6 3-1309 = Tree6
<kuid:429786:100303> 3D1 Pg EK D5 1-1605 = Tree5
<kuid:429786:100320> 3D1 Pg D8 1 = Tree8
<kuid:429786:1103> 3DE Pg SLD KL1-3109 = Maple1
<kuid:429786:100332> 3D1 Pg EK K2 4-2016 = Bush2
<kuid:429786:100495> 3D1 Pg EK EL1-1203 = Fir1

The column with "3D1" or "3DE" and the column with "Pg" do not appear relevant (Pg for pofig?)
The next column I do not find "EK" or "SLD", although "Abh" appears to mean "small series".
The next column D=tree, K=bush, Db=Oak, EL=Fir, etc. I do not know the significance of the numbers. Then the last part with the dashed numbers I have no idea. Indicators of height maybe?

Anyway, I am just posting to see if anyone has any further knowledge on how to decrypt these. It probably doesn't matter a hill of beans, and I could probably pick any substitutes from here, but it is just curiousity. Thanks!

Last edited:
The translation table I started back in 2015 has not received any input since early 2020, so it looks like people have either forgotten about it, or there is just no new information to add.

The pofig names seem to be almost deliberately obscure. If you think his numbers might relate to tree size or some other parameter, some investigation in Surveyor might uncover a correlation. Perhaps you could use one of the ruler assets available on the DLS to measure tree heights and plot them against the numbers? If anyone can figure out the tree code, it should be a Forester! ;)

Last edited:
Well, for an interesting intellectual exercise, I got all the pofig trees and some McGuirel grass cloned for Highland Valley #2. Not bad, but I still have some billboard trees to bulk replace, then it might look pretty good. Thanks for the help folks!

Taking advantage of the open thread about pofig trees, it is to be regretted the huge amount of speed trees that became useless from the Tane version and higher.
An immense amount of work thrown away and only usable in Trainz 2009-2010 and 2012.

I have been collecting Trainz material from all over the world for 18 years, and as mere information of the speed trees that became unusable from my collection is as follows:

Code:
1-kuid:429786 pofig   1292 trees.
2-kuid:328583 jankvis   235 trees
3-kuid:310187 dimalo   218 trees
4-kuid:72938 mcguirel   185 trees
5-kuid:654715 cap1e   107 trees
6-kuid:200439 runtik   70 trees
7-kuid:334133 lord9   57 trees
8-kuid:350301 kirra   46 trees
9-kuid:593815 antikiller_bmrf   44 trees
10-kuid:531074 sdkgp   27 trees
11-Other authors with few kuids:   117 trees

Total number of useless trees: 2398

Last edited:
Yes, that is a sad waste of a lot of people's efforts. I don't know what the technological change was, or the justification, but Pofig's trees actually look pretty nice.

For better or worse, depending on one's opinion, N3V decided to upgrade Speedtree software from 5 to 6. Consequently the trees listed by Frank Dean became unusable in later Trainz versions beyond TS12. Pofig actually mentioned that he would not upgrade to Speedtree6 as he was not happy with the way his trees looked in the newer upgrade. Another issue might have been the cost of the software that increased significantly from Speedtree 5 to 6.

Pofig's trees were really the best. It's a shame I see so many routes in the screenshots threads that use ugly billboard trees. Ugh. I hate them

I agree with you Dave, and I wish someone would make some decent looking conifers, but I got the gist I was being told I was being picky.

I agree with you Dave, and I wish someone would make some decent looking conifers, but I got the gist I was being told I was being picky.

I got the gist!

We're not being picky; we want conifers and not bottlebrush pines.

I was looking at Digital Elements Verdant plants and Plant Mechanic to create trees. They can be exported as Lightwave and 3d Studio objects which means they can be brought into Blender for further processing but unfortunately, they're only flipboards, albeit nice looking ones at that.

Here's the Pofig notation system. A real shame we can't use these in TRS19.

Abh = small series
B = birch
Chy = Cypress
D = tree
Db = oak-tree
E, El = fir-trees
Gr = grass
K, Ks, Kt = bush
Kl = maple
Ph = peach
PL = plantain (banana?)
S = pine tree
T = poplar​

Subname d - дальнее - for using in background

The numbers at the end of the names is the polycount.

Paul

Here's the Pofig notation system. A real shame we can't use these in TRS19.
Abh = small series
B = birch
Chy = Cypress
D = tree
Db = oak-tree
E, El = fir-trees
Gr = grass
K, Ks, Kt = bush
Kl = maple
Ph = peach
PL = plantain (banana?)
S = pine tree
T = poplar​

Subname d - дальнее - for using in background

The numbers at the end of the names is the polycount.

Paul

I agree I wish we could use these in TRS19 and up.

His reference to the plantain here is to a tree that was once named that but is not related.

Platanus - Wikipedia

These are among the largest and oldest trees in the world and can live thousands of years. We have a couple of them near me and are the American Sycamore which sadly has been hit by a fungal infection.

RMM created trees that are very similar and work quite nicely. His naming convention is similar except he spells out the names instead of using abbreviations. The spelling out is easier to remember. Kl for maple is a Klen, K used for shrub is a kust, etc.

Last edited:
Back