Track and roads sinking?

Hi Peter, thank you for your help. WOW Trainz Plus looks amazing, and I have now installed my route which has still got the same problem regarding the sinking etc. So, if you don't mind helping me more, what do I now do regarding the textures/paint to stop the sinking?

Regards

Harry

You could use bulk replace to change non PBR to PBR ground textures. Then take note that non PBR and PBR don't mix well. If you have that transition, then make sure they are away from any spline (tracks, roads, etc.), Also, when blending two different PBR textures, keep the Scale the same for both to get them to mesh (so to say).

If your not on Ultra settings, you may want to change to that to see all the imperfections, set post processing to low if there are performance problems.

Hope this helps you in your adventure.

Hi Peter, thank you for your help. WOW Trainz Plus looks amazing, and I have now installed my route which has still got the same problem regarding the sinking etc. So, if you don't mind helping me more, what do I now do regarding the textures/paint to stop the sinking?

Regards

Harry

Harry congratulations on getting TrainzPlus up and running. Now start playing around with Surveyor 2.0 which is part of TrainzPlus. Start learning here:

https://docs.trainzsimulator.com/docs/surveyor20

There will be a bit of a learning curve since it is very different than the Surveyor Classic we all are used to. The sinking problem will be fixed once you replace the textures along the track and roads with non-PBR textures. That is a solution, but how you do it has several alternatives. There is no need to do a mass replacement and get rid of all PBR textures or change any texture settings. This would be the case if you had just the Surveyor Classic, which is why others have suggested these solutions.

In TrainzPlus switch to "Edit in Surveyor 2.0" in the Tools Menu, then follow my instructions which I copied from my first post on this topic:

Select a non-PBR grass texture, then select a road or track spline, double click to get all nearby splines of the same name, then choose "paint under selected" and you're done. Important - control the width of the painting of the non-PBR grass along the spline with tool options, radius. Through trial and error, I found that a radius of 15m works best for 2 lane roads but experiment with this.

This same routine can be used when you want to texture ballast along the track. This is why anyone with Surveyor 2.0 can benefit by learning this.

Let me know if you have questions once you get into it.

Last edited:
Hi Peter, just a quick update, going to give it a good go tomorrow and no doubt I will be in touch for some help. In the meantime, if PBR is 3D what is 2D?

Regards

Harry

Hi Peter, been watching some YouTube videos regarding S2.0. With regards to your instructions above any chance you can do a video to explain? With regards to your post when I try your instructions it doesn't work.

"Select a non-PBR grass texture, then select a road or track spline, double click to get all nearby splines of the same name, then choose "paint under selected" and you're done. Important - control the width of the painting of the non-PBR grass along the spline with tool options, radius. Through trial and error, I found that a radius of 15m works best for 2 lane roads but experiment with this"

Regards Harry

Hi Peter, been watching some YouTube videos regarding S2.0. With regards to your instructions above any chance you can do a video to explain? With regards to your post when I try your instructions it doesn't work.

"Select a non-PBR grass texture, then select a road or track spline, double click to get all nearby splines of the same name, then choose "paint under selected" and you're done. Important - control the width of the painting of the non-PBR grass along the spline with tool options, radius. Through trial and error, I found that a radius of 15m works best for 2 lane roads but experiment with this"

Regards Harry

Harry:

Your quote was from my post, not Peter's (p-dehnert). But no matter. I have no experience in doing videos so I can't provide a video.

Let's try this:

1. Decide on a non-PBR grass texture to paint along road and track splines. Do this in Surveyor Classic. Paint a small amount of it on your route somewhere.
2. Go to Surveyor 2.
3. Look at the Tools Palette and choose the eye-dropper.
4. Place the eye-dropper on the non-PBR grass texture you just painted and click.
5. Look at the Assets Palette. You should see the chosen texture highlighted.
6. Go back to the tools palette. Choose the brush tool. Make sure you choose "ground texture" next to the yellow brush. Paint a dab of the texture and make sure it is the same as you painted in step 1. You can also play with the rotation and scale settings similar to what you could do in Surveyor Classic.
7. Look at tool options in the tools palette and you will see the default radius of 20m. Change it to 10m (my previous advice of 15 is too wide) which is good for two lane roads or single or double track.
8. Now choose either the free move tool or the fine adjustment tool - either will do the job here.
9. Click once on a spline you want to paint along. Once the spline is highlighted, click once on the tiny squiggle. This will bring up a menu. Choose "paint under selected" and you will see your chosen texture painted along the spline.
10. Once you are happy with the results, you can speed things up along an entire road, one of two ways.
-----a. You can double click on a spline segment, and you should see multiple spline segments highlighted so you can paint along all of them all at once.
-----b. Or if you don't like that (too many or two few segments), single click on a spline segment while holding the shift key down to highlight multiple segments.
11. You will find that if the mouse pointer is not centered on the spline correctly, it might not highlight. N3V may want to work on this.

I am confident this will work for you since I wrote this while doing the same instructions in Surveyor 2.0. Anyone out there that wants to add to this, go ahead.

Last edited:
Hi and thank you for your post and ongoing help.

Sorry, but I cant get past step 1 as I can't determine the difference in non-PBR and a PBR texture?

Regards

Harry

Sorry, but I cant get past step 1 as I can't determine the difference in non-PBR and a PBR texture?

Regards

Harry

That's the hard part, Harry.

The helpful content creators put PBR in the name and description while some do not. It didn't help that N3V updated some older TRS2009 and TS12 textures that were not PBR before but are PBR now to add to the confusion.

The best way to find out is to create a test route and use that for checking out various textures you want to use. Many of us have a testing route and we use this route to test and check out various assets, textures and various modeling techniques prior to using those assets and things in our bigger projects.

Regards

Harry

Here are the non-PBR grass textures I use that are high quality and look almost as good as PBR grass textures, and work well with track and roads.

BN Grass texture #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Give them a try.

Back