Can't Edit Config File Text

AlextheAC4400

I am currently in the process of replacing an unknown asset on some new locomotives via replacing the missing kuid on the config file text. However, each time I attempt to access the config text file the window closes immediately before it can even load. If anyone knows how to make it so I can actually edit the file and replace the missing kuids that would be very much appreciated!
Happy Rails,
Alex

Right-click the Asset and select "Show in Explorer". then right-click the config.txt file and select "Open with" and choose your editor. I use this technique to edit with Notepad++

Since TS2009 I use ( like many ) the simple Notepad from Windows without problems ... It would be interesting if you show what and how you want to edit .

Ok, I have managed to open the Config Chump file on notepads and I expected to see something like a list of kuids and I could just find the missing asset and replace it lickity split, However I got something much more confusing to someone who hasten done this before (It wont allow me to post a photo). Does anyone know how to pinpoint an asset and replace it?

The config file is always named config.txt and is a pure text file that can be opened in any text editor. This will contain the list of kuids that you are probably looking for. The chump file is completely different and is something that I never touch.

I have been unsuccessful in locating a file named config.txt in any of the locomotives I am trying to fix. I right click the locomotive as a whole, I go to open and select show in explorer, and then in the search bar for explorer I put config.txt and nothing comes up except for the chump file. Where do I locate the text file?

I have been unsuccessful in locating a file named config.txt in any of the locomotives I am trying to fix. I right click the locomotive as a whole, I go to open and select show in explorer, and then in the search bar for explorer I put config.txt and nothing comes up except for the chump file. Where do I locate the text file?

I presume that you are doing this in Content manager.

Open in Explorer should open the asset window which will show all the files (and any folders) that are in the asset. One of these will be named config (or config.txt if you have your windows explorer set to show the file extensions).

What exactly are you trying to fix?

Can you post the name of the loco and its kuid value and the name and/or kuid of the missing asset(s)?

Trying to solve a missing asset problem inside an asset by this method often does not work if you do not know what you are doing.

Some time ago it had happened to me, that in some of my own assets the CHUMP appeared and replaced the CONFIG...
I think there was a thread about that, and I can't remember what it was due to or how it was solved (I must be older than that I though).
Search a bit in CM and it seems that it didn't happen again...

If you are seeing a .chump file, then the asset hasn't been opened and you are seeing the raw folder.

The asset has to be opened for edit in Content Manager in order to decompress the contents of the data folder.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post to help a fellow train lover out! I have discovered that kaeksa2423's method of reverting the asset to its original state and reopening it for editing will allow you to open the config.txt file. Once again, thank you to everyone for all your help, I don't think I could have gotten this done without you.
Happy Rails,
Alex

If you are seeing a .chump file, then the asset hasn't been opened and you are seeing the raw folder.
The asset has to be opened for edit in Content Manager in order to decompress the contents of the data folder.

I agree... but I don't understand how he can open the Asset from the Explorer, he should only see a TZARC compressed file ?.

I agree... but I don't understand how he can open the Asset from the Explorer, he should only see a TZARC compressed file ?.

This will occur if the asset is faulty on installation in Content Manager. This was or maybe it still is an issue with assets that contain the .FBX file in their data folder. By deleting the .FBX file, this fixes the asset and then it can be installed without error.

Back