Conway Scenic Railroad

rwk

I bought this nice looking route of the former Maine Central in New Hampshire from the recently closed Control Point Simulations for 19. It is a portion through the mountains which is operated by the Conway Scenic. But, the section to Fabyan Station and beyond, and the section from west of Bartlett to North Conway and Conway is missing. I'm going to add those sections in by hand. I'm just doing this for myself since it's a payware route.

CSRR-Routes.jpg

I thought the same thing because I have the same route and while nicely done, it's not quite prototypical and lots have been chopped and changed to make it shorter and drivable. With that said, you may have difficulties matching up the real terrain with their modified segment.

Even though I'm only 2-hours from Conway, I've never ridden on the railroad, but I have driven past it and stayed in Attitash, NH where the line passes through. In those years, the Maine Central ran freight trains over their White Mountain Division between Portland and St. Johnsbury, VT. Sadly, Guilford closed the line between Westboro, VT and White Hall, NH and from White Hall to St. Johnsbury in 1985. In their typical spiteful fashion, they retained ownership of parts of the line to deliberately prevent any state agency or shortline from actively operating the line again.

It was amazing seeing the MEC U25b's and GP40s pull the freight up and across the mountains way up on the Frankenstein bridge far above US 302.

There have been talks and discussions about reopening the line again for through passenger service but like anything involving rail, it remains to be seen.

Back