Trainz - Surveyor 2.0 ( S20 ) Baseboards

This is a built-in feature in S20. The ability to add and delete multiple baseboards instead of one at a time as in the original Surveyor (S10 or Surveyor Classic).

As the video shows, just drag out an area over the empty space, left mouse click on the small box icon at the top of the dragged out area and select Convert Baseboards to then select either 10m Grid or 5m Grid.

Hi,

I've just tried this - Harry has Trainz+, so my experience should be the same (!)

TS22 will start in Surveyor 1 - trying to select baseboard and extend isn't available in this mode.
Select Surveyor 2 in the drop down menu and then I could select the one baseboard and extend it (but it didn't let me create lots of baseboards - probably a screen resolution thing). Then convert to 10m or 5m grid, repeat extend as needed.

HTH

Colin

Thank you guys, I have TRS22, so is it worth getting S20? and also, I can't see it in the shop?

You don't need the Shop as you have Trainz Plus as well TRS22 on your time line so it just needs downloading and installing.
Surveyor 2 is only currently in the Trainz Plus install, basically plus is now a separate install available from MyTrainz. Bottom left of the screen you should see download links for TANE, TRS19, TRS22 and Trainz Plus (which is effectively TR22 with extras such as S2).

As for S2 some love it some hate it, I'm somewhere in the middle at the moment as it does have a fairly steep learning curve although you can drop back to the legacy surveyor if required.

As for S2 some love it some hate it, I'm somewhere in the middle at the moment as it does have a fairly steep learning curve although you can drop back to the legacy surveyor if required.

Agree. I am also "in the middle". There are features of S20 that I love and there are things that I still find easier to do in S10 but it is important to remember that S20 is still a "work in progress". One thing that, from my experience (and I could easily be wrong here), is that my often used keyboard shortcuts that make some complex operations in S10 so quick and simple have yet to be implemented in S20.

Agree. I am also "in the middle". There are features of S20 that I love and there are things that I still find easier to do in S10 but it is important to remember that S20 is still a "work in progress". One thing that, from my experience (and I could easily be wrong here), is that my often used keyboard shortcuts that make some complex operations in S10 so quick and simple have yet to be implemented in S20.

Add me to the middle camp as well. There are a lot of good things such as the multi-board delete function and the fine adjustments for placing assets, but other things are just faster in S1.0. The new interface requires hunting around for a lot of things that used to be right at our fingertips without needing to look for them. I find that even if I know where the tools are in S2.0 I have a difficult time using them especially with the need to click on ant-sized icons that give us the functionality that we need, because those ant-sized icons are difficult to find due to not always being in the same place each and every time.

Like with most things, the more you use it, the less you go back to the old way of doing things.

For example, learning the shortcut keys makes a big difference:

* WER and SDF for the tools (i.e matching the shape of the layout in the Tools palette)
* Hit "T" to open the contextual menu

Things that aren't immediately intuitive like double-click to select a group of assets, and Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V for copy/cut/paste become second nature after a while.

Learning to use the Filter Selection option to prevent selecting the wrong class of object, not having to switch tools to move different items...

Perhaps it would be useful to provide specific examples of a process you find easier in Classic. (Obviously there are still some things required like using the Bulk Replace tools).

* WER and SDF for the tools (i.e matching the shape of the layout in the Tools palette)
* Hit "T" to open the contextual menu

Things that aren't immediately intuitive like double-click to select a group of assets, and Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V for copy/cut/paste become second nature after a while.

Learning to use the Filter Selection option to prevent selecting the wrong class of object, not having to switch tools to move different items...

Perhaps it would be useful to provide specific examples of a process you find easier in Classic. (Obviously there are still some things required like using the Bulk Replace tools).

OK, I have taken up your challenge. The things that I am currently doing using S10 because I find it easier that way I am now attempting using S20. As has been suggested, it is a learning curve. They appear to be not as difficult as I originally thought. I am slowing getting the hang of it and while my S20 creation speed is not (yet) at the same level as my S10 speed was, it will take some practice.

Not sure what that means but the "T" is useful.

I've been away from Trainz for a while, was thinking about getting into Trainz22, am I to understand that I can't purchase it if I want the better Surveyor, I have to subscribe to it?

The S20 (Surveyor 2.0) interface is only available to subscribers of Trainz Plus. TRS22 comes with the standard Surveyor Classic (S10). Trainz Plus gets both S20 and S10.

Hotkeys for the top row of the Tools Palette
W = Brush Tool
E = Placement
R = Eyedropper

Next row is:
S = Move
D = Fine Move
F = Marquee

The S20 (Surveyor 2.0) interface is only available to subscribers of Trainz Plus. TRS22 comes with the standard Surveyor Classic (S10). Trainz Plus gets both S20 and S10.

Then I'll save my money and stay in TRS19. Thanks for your help.

I generally work in S2.0 as I've gained more experience with it, but the things I still go back to Classic for are:
- Occasionally, I like to use the 3d render of an object for choosing an asset to place, as the icons used in S2.0 are not always helpful. Many items have the same icon, or show a general icon that makes it impossible to see what you are getting until you actually place it.
- I haven't figured out how to adjust legacy water in S2.0 yet (raise / lower) (Haven't looked very hard, though...)
Sometimes, it seems like the plateau brush in Classic works better than the gradient tool in 2.0 for slight leveling adjustments

The one thing that still *really* bothers me in both Classic and 2.0 is trying to select something that is already placed. If, for example, I place a crate on a station platform, it is impossible to reselect that crate, as the station is always selected instead. I can hide the station, select the crate, unhide the station, then adjust the position of the crate, but that's a big pain.
It would be nice if multiple clicks in the same area can cycle through all the objects behind the cursor.

Another interesting thing I've run into (in S2.0) is that in the default mode, I can't select something that the center is underground - even if part of it is visible. I need to switch to wireframe mode to select the item to adjust it.
I think the idea behind masking things that aren't visible is a good one, it's just perhaps a bit too restrictive - especially with something like embedding rocks into a hillside, or playing with tunnels.

In general, though, I think S2.0 is a big step forward - thank you!!

Curtis

3d render of an object for choosing an asset to place,
>>
We're exploring replacing thumbnails with 3D renders. Meanwhile S20 does have a Preview Asset window which you can resize. So that's a step up from Classic.

adjust legacy water in S2.0 yet
>>
You can't.
Stop looking. :)

plateau brush
>>
With gradient 0 it should work identically. Play around with sensitivity to speed it up.

trying to select something that is already placed
>>
There's a few options here, depending on the exact case.
Putting the station into a layer and hiding the layer certainly works.
Filter Selection and Filter Visibility are also options.
And using the Fine Adjustment tool, dragging a marquee then shift-click on the station will leave you with just the other items selected (people, crates etc).

I can't select something that the center is underground
>>
Again, using the Fine Adjustment tool, dragging a marquee, then grabbing the anchor for the underground object works well here.

Then I'll save my money and stay in TRS19.

While TRS22 does not have S20, its other features, in my opinion, put it far enough ahead of TRS19 Standard to make it worthwhile.

As well as new DLC content thrown in (but not everyone is into DLC) it comes with:-

• MULTIPLAYER SURVEYOR - which I am about to try for the first time
  • UNIFIED DRIVER / SURVEYOR - which was my reason for selecting TRS19 Platinum over TRS19 Standard and it has not disappointed.
  • NEW EFFECT LAYER TOOLS AND PRESETS - the Effect Layers are becoming essential in my projects
  • NEW PAINT UNDER SPLINE TOOLS - a very useful tool for painting textures under track, roads, etc

But each of us will have our own needs and circumstances.

My opinions.

Again, using the Fine Adjustment tool, dragging a marquee, then grabbing the anchor for the underground object works well here.

In my new explorations of using S20 instead of S10 I have found the Fine Adjustment Tool to be a revelation. Its ability to do all types of object manipulations using just the mouse alone has won me over.

It depends if you installed the retail or Trainz Plus version of 22. S2.0 is only in the Plus version download of 22.
I know this is an old comment, but that's not necessarily the case anymore as the Platinum version of Trainz Railroad Simulator 22 does feature S2.0 built-in to the game, no membership required.

Back