Question on assigning drivers in session ?

I tried searching for the answer and the closest I got was from Pware:

" If I understand your question correctly, it is not the "engines" that load into Driver Setup, but drivers.

There is a check box at the bottom of the Driver List, "Generate new Drivers for empty trains", that, when checked, will automatically assign drivers for every empty loco (or driveable vehicles) that do not already have an assigned driver in your Route/Session. Unchecking this will prevent drivers being assigned to "empty" locos.

Another check box, "Remove all existing Drivers first", will remove all assigned drivers from their locos. If the two boxes are checked then you will get a new random list of drivers assigned to all locos every time the Session is loaded. "

This sounds like a logical answer but I am doing exactly as described above and I have two driver engines with specific drivers assigned but when my session opens there are four drivers in the list and the two I assigned in putting my session together appear in the driver list as being not assigned and the two engines have two randomly assigned drivers.

I think I have seen this problem discussed before but can't remember the solution. If it is a glitch that is in my build 110491 I guess I can live with deleting the extra guys and then moving my girls into their proper engines at the beginning of my driver session but I can't remember having this problem before and I had been using the build for a long time, rejecting the constant offer to update !

Wild Willy the Wacko

I tried searching for the answer and the closest I got was from Pware:

" If I understand your question correctly, it is not the "engines" that load into Driver Setup, but drivers.

There is a check box at the bottom of the Driver List, "Generate new Drivers for empty trains", that, when checked, will automatically assign drivers for every empty loco (or driveable vehicles) that do not already have an assigned driver in your Route/Session. Unchecking this will prevent drivers being assigned to "empty" locos.

Another check box, "Remove all existing Drivers first", will remove all assigned drivers from their locos. If the two boxes are checked then you will get a new random list of drivers assigned to all locos every time the Session is loaded. "

This sounds like a logical answer but I am doing exactly as described above and I have two driver engines with specific drivers assigned but when my session opens there are four drivers in the list and the two I assigned in putting my session together appear in the driver list as being not assigned and the two engines have two randomly assigned drivers.

I think I have seen this problem discussed before but can't remember the solution. If it is a glitch that is in my build 110491 I guess I can live with deleting the extra guys and then moving my girls into their proper engines at the beginning of my driver session but I can't remember having this problem before and I had been using the build for a long time, rejecting the constant offer to update !

Wild Willy the Wacko

I don't have your build, but is sounds logical to me. The drivers are removed from their assignments, but continue to exist in the game as unassigned. If you do not want them, delete them from the driver setup.

I think we are not on the same page here .

I don't have your build, but is sounds logical to me. The drivers are removed from their assignments, but continue to exist in the game as unassigned. If you do not want them, delete them from the driver setup.

The ones that show up in the Session as " unassigned " are the ones that I do want. I specifically designated them to be in specific engines, but they were automatically replaced with random drivers by the game even though the boxes mentioned are unchecked.

Wild Will the Wacko

Last edited:
Be sure to click on the check mark at the bottom right of the main window, or your changes will not be applied. Otherwise, I don't know

My experience with TRS19 SP5. For some reason if you put a loco on the route level and then try to move it on the session, sometimes it messes up. For that reason, for me, the Route should have no locos or rolling stock, they are added in each Session. Works well on big maps because there is no need to have rolling stock in an area that the session will never travel. This reduces overhead and improves script performance and framerates.

Each session can command locos and not be messed with by the route or other sessions.

When Edit Drivers in Edit Session, I always assign my drivers to a driver that I know, then I use this pattern for the check boxes at the bottom;
Checked
Checked
Un-Checked
Checked

So far since following this, I have not had any oddities. Also, once a session gets messed up, it may have to be redone, much like the problems with the old MIS's, once messed up, best to replace.

Hope any of this helps you.

Quarky operation !

After my last post I looked at the boxes again but didn't change anything, then I started the session from the begining and wether I have the right boxes checked or not, the game split the difference on me.

One of my designated drivers showed up in the engine she was supposed to be in and the other showed as unasigned and her engine had a random other driver in it.

I imediately made a little mistake and so I exited " Driver " and then started the session from the beginning again and both my drivers showed up unasigned again.

A while back I did a " merge " because I knew I had some route assets in the session layer and I wondered if the game would discriminate as to what should be in route and what should be in session and I didn't go back to " Edit Route " to delete my driver engines so that they could be re-added into the session layer. Maybe this is what is making the game act quarky!

Wild Willy the Wacko

I'm in 2019 SP2 Build 110491.......

Drivers are a mess in SP5. Sounds like maybe in 22 also?

and I plan on staying there till I hear that the wrinkles are ironed out of 2022. Central Portal Control is working for me and I can save without breaking track joints!

Wild Willy the Wacko

I must apologize, Central Portal Control is not totally working !

and I plan on staying there till I hear that the wrinkles are ironed out of 2022. Central Portal Control is working for me and I can save without breaking track joints!

Wild Willy the Wacko

It took a while to find a problem with Central Portal Control because I kept running into small issues with my session that I wanted to fix and therefore did not drive long enough in my session to notice some problems.

I do know that a favorite function for me is the " Immediate " emitting of AI consists and that worked in the beginning of the session but it used to be that if I saved "Driver" progress, when I would restart from that save, consists would emit immediately and then at their specified intervals but now after restarting a save no consists are emitted. I have now driven long enough to see that the consists that were supposed to emit 1 1/2 and 2 hours apart are not emitting either.

What I am going to try next is:

Setup CPC to emit immediately and then at a huge interval there after like maybe 5 hours.

Then go to the portal itself and set it up to emit at the 1 1/2 hour interval.

I expect that this won't work due to some kind of conflict and if that happens, I will give up on the CPC and just set up the portal for the 1 1/2 hour interval.

I have a feeling that my problem may stem from having a newer version of CPC than I had a few years ago that worked in my build and route.

Sometimes life sucks and sometimes it sucks worse!

Wild Willy the Wacko

Just one little nit on this......

My experience with TRS19 SP5. For some reason if you put a loco on the route level and then try to move it on the session, sometimes it messes up. For that reason, for me, the Route should have no locos or rolling stock, they are added in each Session. Works well on big maps because there is no need to have rolling stock in an area that the session will never travel. This reduces overhead and improves script performance and framerates.

Each session can command locos and not be messed with by the route or other sessions.

When Edit Drivers in Edit Session, I always assign my drivers to a driver that I know, then I use this pattern for the check boxes at the bottom;
Checked
Checked
Un-Checked
Checked

So far since following this, I have not had any oddities. Also, once a session gets messed up, it may have to be redone, much like the problems with the old MIS's, once messed up, best to replace.

Hope any of this helps you.

I had planned on removing my locos to try and fix the drivers problem.

As for this part:

" for me, the Route should have no locos or rolling stock, they are added in each Session.

I always put one of each commodities cars in a yard some ware so that I can fully setup the MIN or SAP industries, it seems that they need to be in the route or session to appear as a possible selection in the " Products" section. THat is where one specifies what car and whether the commodity is in increments of tons, liters or items and then it knows the capacity of each load.

I put them in the route layer on this route because it had some MIN's that needed to be replaced because they were the faulty ones that the " Tracks " section had no list of commodities to pick from. Also some buildings have to be lifted to gain access to the properties box where one adjusts commodities levels and that always requires saving the route so I wanted to do all that before I started setting up my session.

Wild Willy the Wacko

I think I got some joy out of this experiment !

It took a while to find a problem with Central Portal Control because I kept running into small issues with my session that I wanted to fix and therefore did not drive long enough in my session to notice some problems.

I do know that a favorite function for me is the " Immediate " emitting of AI consists and that worked in the beginning of the session but it used to be that if I saved "Driver" progress, when I would restart from that save, consists would emit immediately and then at their specified intervals but now after restarting a save no consists are emitted. I have now driven long enough to see that the consists that were supposed to emit 1 1/2 and 2 hours apart are not emitting either.

What I am going to try next is:

Setup CPC to emit immediately and then at a huge interval there after like maybe 5 hours.

Then go to the portal itself and set it up to emit at the 1 1/2 hour interval.

I expect that this won't work due to some kind of conflict and if that happens, I will give up on the CPC and just set up the portal for the 1 1/2 hour interval.

I have a feeling that my problem may stem from having a newer version of CPC than I had a few years ago that worked in my build and route.

Sometimes life sucks and sometimes it sucks worse!

Wild Willy the Wacko

At the beginning of my session I do get my passenger trains emitted imeadiately and the setting for the next trains in CPC are set for 600 minutes because I only want the first train from both directions and I think 10 hours between is long enough that I won't be driving that long before saving.

I also programed the same consists to emit from the same portals with an interval of 90 minutes and they also emitted.

After seeing these things happen, I saved and exited " Driver ". I then re-started from the save and as before I did not get an imediate emit from CPC but the programing I did in the portal itself produced trains after the 90 minutes so, it looks like one can program AI from a portal with CPC and from the portal itself. THe only thing I'm missing is the consists come out at random instead of the sequencial option that CPC is supposed to produce.

I think I can live with that !

Wild Willy the Wacko

How does this work .......

You might be able to use my CPC_InstantEmit driver command for your sessions.

I thought that conventional wisdom said that " driver commands " only got processed after a consist was totally emitted from a portal ?

I could understand if it was a new " Session Rule " that happens to be designed to function under the builds that disabled the functions of the original CPC.

Wild Willy the Wacko

I thought that conventional wisdom said that " driver commands " only got processed after a consist was totally emitted from a portal ?

I could understand if it was a new " Session Rule " that happens to be designed to function under the builds that disabled the functions of the original CPC.

Wild Willy the Wacko

The driver command is issued from another driver. Typical usage would be when a train reaches a certain trackmark.

This sounds interesting

The driver command is issued from another driver. Typical usage would be when a train reaches a certain trackmark.

instead of just relying on what ever list and time interval that one can put into the session instructions, one can decide from with-in driver when to emit any consist one wants?

Wild Willy the Wacko

instead of just relying on what ever list and time interval that one can put into the session instructions, one can decide from with-in driver when to emit any consist one wants?

Wild Willy the Wacko

That's the idea. You cannot pick the consist, you just nudge the portal. Not sure a portal can be set for both trigger and time emit.

I see great possibilities here !

That's the idea. You cannot pick the consist, you just nudge the portal. Not sure a portal can be set for both trigger and time emit.

I just got done testing a little and I think I understand how it operates !

On my favorite route, I like to emit consists of the main commodities that I work with and the problem is how to get the one I want when I want.

I'm thinking that if I go to a yard at the beginning of the route and blow away the ladder of tracks on the beginning end and add my own portals to the track ends, I could have a portal for each commodity train and I could make a document with the reminder of the " Index " number of each, then while I'm driving and see a need for a certain commodity, I can command that corresponding portal to send me some. This will come in handy when I am deep into a driving session and I accidently wreck a train, to get that same train back on the route I can just ask for an emit !

This is a good reason to take Phil's advice to not have a separate " Rule " for each portal because each has an " Index " of 0 and that does not work for this purpose. I kind of tried that and I got an emit from the first CPC Rule even though the " Wait for trigger " box was not checked so I combined all my portals into one CPC Rule and when I select Index # 2 I get a trainload of coal from the portal that I added to the CPC Rule.

Thanks for tipping me off about this !

Wild Willy the Wacko

Last edited:
I hope you enjoy it. The driver command just sends out a message to portal index x. Whatever one or more portals do with it, if anything, is beyond control of the driver command.

Last edited:
I am enjoying it immencely !

I hope you enjoy it. The driver command just sends out a message to portal index x. Whatever one or more portals do with it, if anything, is beyond control of the driver command.

I went and did as I described above:

"I'm thinking that if I go to a yard at the beginning of the route and blow away the ladder of tracks on the beginning end and add my own portals to the track ends, I could have a portal for each commodity train and I could make a document with the reminder of the " Index " number of each, then while I'm driving and see a need for a certain commodity, I can command that corresponding portal to send me some. This will come in handy when I am deep into a driving session and I accidently wreck a train, to get that same train back on the route I can just ask for an emit !"

and it is working great. Before if I used emits streight from a portal, they could only be random consists but with a portal for each commodity, I can choose what and when just by nudging the correct portal. Even with the way CPC used to work for me it was iffy because even in " Sequencial " mode, after saving and re-starting a session, instead of emiting the next consist it would start over at the beginning of the list and If I wanted a trainload of the commodity at the end of the list I may have to drive 6 to 9 hours streight to get to the bottom of the list.

Wild Willy the Wacko

I went and did as I described above:

"I'm thinking that if I go to a yard at the beginning of the route and blow away the ladder of tracks on the beginning end and add my own portals to the track ends, I could have a portal for each commodity train and I could make a document with the reminder of the " Index " number of each, then while I'm driving and see a need for a certain commodity, I can command that corresponding portal to send me some. This will come in handy when I am deep into a driving session and I accidently wreck a train, to get that same train back on the route I can just ask for an emit !"

and it is working great. Before if I used emits streight from a portal, they could only be random consists but with a portal for each commodity, I can choose what and when just by nudging the correct portal. Even with the way CPC used to work for me it was iffy because even in " Sequencial " mode, after saving and re-starting a session, instead of emiting the next consist it would start over at the beginning of the list and If I wanted a trainload of the commodity at the end of the list I may have to drive 6 to 9 hours streight to get to the bottom of the list.

Wild Willy the Wacko

It is always encouraging to hear from a Trainzer who is enjoying one's creation.

Back