Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on assigning drivers in session ?

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

Quote Originally Posted by WildWillyWacko View Post
    instead of just relying on what ever list and time interval that one can put into the session instructions, one can decide from with-in driver when to emit any consist one wants?

Wild Willy the Wacko
    That's the idea. You cannot pick the consist, you just nudge the portal. Not sure a portal can be set for both trigger and time emit.
    Platinum 2019 Build 117009;
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh

Cool I see great possibilities here !

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    That's the idea. You cannot pick the consist, you just nudge the portal. Not sure a portal can be set for both trigger and time emit.

I just got done testing a little and I think I understand how it operates !

On my favorite route, I like to emit consists of the main commodities that I work with and the problem is how to get the one I want when I want.

I'm thinking that if I go to a yard at the beginning of the route and blow away the ladder of tracks on the beginning end and add my own portals to the track ends, I could have a portal for each commodity train and I could make a document with the reminder of the " Index " number of each, then while I'm driving and see a need for a certain commodity, I can command that corresponding portal to send me some. This will come in handy when I am deep into a driving session and I accidently wreck a train, to get that same train back on the route I can just ask for an emit !

This is a good reason to take Phil's advice to not have a separate " Rule " for each portal because each has an " Index " of 0 and that does not work for this purpose. I kind of tried that and I got an emit from the first CPC Rule even though the " Wait for trigger " box was not checked so I combined all my portals into one CPC Rule and when I select Index # 2 I get a trainload of coal from the portal that I added to the CPC Rule.

Thanks for tipping me off about this !

Wild Willy the Wacko
    Last edited by WildWillyWacko; September 28th, 2022 at 03:11 PM.

I hope you enjoy it. The driver command just sends out a message to portal index x. Whatever one or more portals do with it, if anything, is beyond control of the driver command.
    Last edited by pitkin; September 28th, 2022 at 04:13 PM.
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh

Cool I am enjoying it immencely !

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    I hope you enjoy it. The driver command just sends out a message to portal index x. Whatever one or more portals do with it, if anything, is beyond control of the driver command.

I went and did as I described above:

"I'm thinking that if I go to a yard at the beginning of the route and blow away the ladder of tracks on the beginning end and add my own portals to the track ends, I could have a portal for each commodity train and I could make a document with the reminder of the " Index " number of each, then while I'm driving and see a need for a certain commodity, I can command that corresponding portal to send me some. This will come in handy when I am deep into a driving session and I accidently wreck a train, to get that same train back on the route I can just ask for an emit !"

and it is working great. Before if I used emits streight from a portal, they could only be random consists but with a portal for each commodity, I can choose what and when just by nudging the correct portal. Even with the way CPC used to work for me it was iffy because even in " Sequencial " mode, after saving and re-starting a session, instead of emiting the next consist it would start over at the beginning of the list and If I wanted a trainload of the commodity at the end of the list I may have to drive 6 to 9 hours streight to get to the bottom of the list.

Wild Willy the Wacko

Quote Originally Posted by WildWillyWacko View Post
    I went and did as I described above:

"I'm thinking that if I go to a yard at the beginning of the route and blow away the ladder of tracks on the beginning end and add my own portals to the track ends, I could have a portal for each commodity train and I could make a document with the reminder of the " Index " number of each, then while I'm driving and see a need for a certain commodity, I can command that corresponding portal to send me some. This will come in handy when I am deep into a driving session and I accidently wreck a train, to get that same train back on the route I can just ask for an emit !"

and it is working great. Before if I used emits streight from a portal, they could only be random consists but with a portal for each commodity, I can choose what and when just by nudging the correct portal. Even with the way CPC used to work for me it was iffy because even in " Sequencial " mode, after saving and re-starting a session, instead of emiting the next consist it would start over at the beginning of the list and If I wanted a trainload of the commodity at the end of the list I may have to drive 6 to 9 hours streight to get to the bottom of the list.

Wild Willy the Wacko
    It is always encouraging to hear from a Trainzer who is enjoying one's creation.
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

You can also have a hidden fiddle yard with trains loaded and ready to go. Look at the driver commands to set and clear session variables. Your driver can set a variable that another train is waiting for. Can't recall the setup. Look at one of my sessions for the Port Loleta route from Philskene.

There are also driver commands to load an entire consist. You don't even have to preload the staged trains.
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370