Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highly Detailed Trees

Default Highly Detailed Trees

Hi all,

I'm getting back into route building and was wondering where I can find some really detailed trees and shrubbery. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Check the DLS and built-in

Roystrees
    RMM (begin with st_rmm_)
    Some of the built-in Speed Trees are pretty good now.
    Trees by Gawpo50

Just to name a few.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    Trainz-PLUS: 117669

I agree with John above for most deciduous trees. Unfortunately, I find most conifers to be abysmal. There is not a Douglas-fir or Ponderosa Pine in the bunch that looks like a real one, for the most part they look like they went through a hurricane, got struck by lightning, or are dying of old age. Most of the spruce and hemlock seem to be suffering from top kill. Western larch is not seasonal at this point. Even the conifers that have been updated are no better, but most are older than version 3.5. I try to work on Pacific Northwest US routes, and the best routes seem to try to use hemlocks to stand in for most, or they are still using billboard trees like BN Oasis. Overall, I find it frustrating and pathetic to try to find something suitable.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power then the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    I agree with John above for most deciduous trees. Unfortunately, I find most conifers to be abysmal. There is not a Douglas-fir or Ponderosa Pine in the bunch that looks like a real one, for the most part they look like they went through a hurricane, got struck by lightning, or are dying of old age. Most of the spruce and hemlock seem to be suffering from top kill. Western larch is not seasonal at this point. Even the conifers that have been updated are no better, but most are older than version 3.5. I try to work on Pacific Northwest US routes, and the best routes seem to try to use hemlocks to stand in for most, or they are still using billboard trees like BN Oasis. Overall, I find it frustrating and pathetic to try to find something suitable.
    You are absolutely correct, the changes that made so many good trees look utterly abysmal were really retrograde, I've had to use hemlocks for my latest route as there are few good spruces , most are far too large and there's so much variety in the shapes that are used to portray aspens one might think they are completely different species. We now have the bizarre situation of multiples of some assets such as cars with hundreds of vAriations , which are ultra realistic , surrounded by trees that are either semi transparent or that often look like cartoons , often the seasonal effects look ultra gaudy. NV3 announced they have no intention of commissioning any new trees , really, we as a community need to do something about replacing those lost trees, if I had the modelling skills I'd do it myself but there seems no cheap software exists that allows easy creation of new items.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Blog Entries

Clam1952's billboard trees actually look very good and there's a wide variety.

:B~)

Together in Trainzing!

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I agree with you guys on the conifers. I have yet to find anything that doesn't look like it was hit by the bark borers and fungus that has swept the western spruce and hemlocks. I saw this out in Glacier National Park, and I was heartbroken. We initially thought the trees were burnt from a lightning strike but as we got closer the trees were like dead soldiers with bare drooping bows. I have pics, but that would be out of scope for this topic.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    Trainz-PLUS: 117669

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    I agree with you guys on the conifers. I have yet to find anything that doesn't look like it was hit by the bark borers and fungus that has swept the western spruce and hemlocks. I saw this out in Glacier National Park, and I was heartbroken. We initially thought the trees were burnt from a lightning strike but as we got closer the trees were like dead soldiers with bare drooping bows. I have pics, but that would be out of scope for this topic.

yeah I've noticed that on watching youtube videos of the rockies as research for the alpine tunnel route, its terribly sad, it seems to stretch right up to Canada .
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

I agree with the above "pine tree" comments. SAM has one PINE. It looks good and I use it where close viewing is anticipated. Rotation helps to reduce the obvious duplications.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.0ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 3gb video card. 117009 116912.

Have a look at my Trees....

Search in CM or DLS for EMT Tree or EMT Bush

Cheers

Graham

TCWW & Trainz.de

I hate to say it again Graham, I appreciated all your work on updating trees, but if you Google images of Douglas-fir, you will find that they are a very straight tree, no matter what shape they are in, and generally have a uniform crown. That is why the existing Trainz hemlocks kind of make a suitable substitute, although the existing ones seem to suffer from top kill. Somewhat the same for Ponderosa Pine and White pine. Western white pine was valued for masts on the old sailing ships because of how straight they are. Even Western Red Cedar, which are still sought for power poles and in the old days for telephone poles. Auran and N3V seem especially bad at making twisty, distorted trunks.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power then the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

If you're talking about SpeedTrees, they weren't made by N3V, they were contracted out to a company called IDV, Inc. Here's their website: https://store.speedtree.com/. Here's the Wikipedia page, which lists some of the video games and all the films SpeedTree has been used in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedTree
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

Not correct, N3V licensed the SpeedTree engine and modeller software from IDV. Initially the stock SpeedTrees that came with the package were used, however N3V have since created their own trees as well as have some creators whom N3V obtained licences for them to use the software from IDV, a few creators obtained it themselves.
    Like all software SpeedTree does have it's limitations so you are never going to get a perfect tree, however it's better than most of the competition. I have the old v5 modeller than came with the Unreal Editor, no use for the version we have now though and it's a horrendous thing to use anyway and only licensed for use in Unreal.

As for Trees forget looking for Trees by name as they often don't look correct, just go by appearance, not forgetting of course that same "name" trees are often actually different in various parts of the world as well to add to the confusion.
    Malc

Blog Entries

I think SpeedTrees are the best choice, and N3V has a license to use. They simply look the best to me. Pair them with TurfFX, and you get some real realism going on.
    If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Thailand, Phu Pan Nat'l park proud neighbor
    Blog Entries

https://youtu.be/t1dXiLR5NUg
    some 7+ years ago I spent a lot lot of time making speedtrees that would fit for my Rocky Mountain routes.
    Making a choice of a few types that where doable this serie was one that I felt suitable for the job.
    The subtile breeze moves needles and swing trees,fog and snow (3D) on the needles gives that ultimate winter feeling skiing of track. (long time ago of course)
    In a 3D dynamic world where trains etc moves wind blows trees leaves and needles using 2D trees is off limit for me.
    What it takes to make One tree content creators understand who have been there.
    Fence sitters/experts of how a tree has to look always have the upper hand in what is right, regardless of what pleases more than enough the trainzers eye and creates a mood of reality, at least for me for sure.
    Unfortunately the speedtree adventure I could not continue as licensing even to make upgrades was not feasible. So be it.
    The maker of the famous Canadian Rocky Mountains routes

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Not correct, N3V licensed the SpeedTree engine and modeller software from IDV. Initially the stock SpeedTrees that came with the package were used, however N3V have since created their own trees as well as have some creators whom N3V obtained licences for them to use the software from IDV, a few creators obtained it themselves.
    Like all software SpeedTree does have it's limitations so you are never going to get a perfect tree, however it's better than most of the competition. I have the old v5 modeller than came with the Unreal Editor, no use for the version we have now though and it's a horrendous thing to use anyway and only licensed for use in Unreal.

As for Trees forget looking for Trees by name as they often don't look correct, just go by appearance, not forgetting of course that same "name" trees are often actually different in various parts of the world as well to add to the confusion.
    Okay, I was thinking that N3V outsourced the Speedtrees to IDV like they did the new Mk1 cars for TRS2022. Apparently I was mistaken.
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.