Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highly Detailed Trees

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

The current issue now is we can't even get the Speed Tree version that works with TRS22 even though it's now an inexpensive subscription that doesn't need to remain active and can be activated as needed. IDV ups the versions by what seems like a monthly schedule and obsoletes the previous ones just as fast. This makes an environment like this left out in the cold because N3V's implementation of Speed Trees is not like that found in other game studios where the trees are used for a single project, and it doesn't matter that the next game version uses different Speed Tree binaries compared to the last.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    Trainz-PLUS: 117669

There are probably just a handful of tree experts using Trainz that know that a particular tree is not correct in the game compared to those that don't know, but I am one that believes that it doesn't matter what a tree is named, as long as it looks OK in game then that will do for me.
    The experts will have a great time when they see what trees I have used in my DHR route update, I have used species that would never be found in Nepal, but because the tree looks 'near enough' to a native species then it is used.

After all, this is not a botany simulator, it is a Train Simulator.

Anyway, there are far more worrying things in life than worrying about trees in a 3D world.

Take care,
    Graham

TCWW & Trainz.de

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

<SARCASM> Why that is nothing short of blasphemy! All over the world the "Trainz needs more realism" crowd are outraged by such talk.</SARCASM>

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by euromodeller View Post
    There are probably just a handful of tree experts using Trainz that know that a particular tree is not correct in the game compared to those that don't know, but I am one that believes that it doesn't matter what a tree is named, as long as it looks OK in game then that will do for me.
    The experts will have a great time when they see what trees I have used in my DHR route update, I have used species that would never be found in Nepal, but because the tree looks 'near enough' to a native species then it is used.

After all, this is not a botany simulator, it is a Train Simulator.

Anyway, there are far more worrying things in life than worrying about trees in a 3D world.

Take care,
    Graham
    I agree. While I attempt to match the kind of species of flora that exist in my area of the world, I will choose trees that look right. I will sometimes use a spruce instead of a fir, or a pine because the spruce trees look better, or use an oak instead of a maple because our maple trees look weird and are usually either way too big. Does it matter? Not really because as we drive along, we're not analyzing the foliage for the proper species.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    Trainz-PLUS: 117669

Thank you all for the suggestions here. I've downloaded a few of the trees suggested, and am currently using them on my routes. I agree, that if a tree looks right, although not the correct species, it could still make for a realistic scene. Thanks again all!

Josef