Who to remove payware textures from a route?

STLSF4003

I make it a point to never use payware assets on a route as I don't want to force the end user to buy a route that don't want just to get a few AWOL assets. The issue here is that I must of placed down a payware ground texture at some point early in the build and painted over it with another texture later, but it's still showing up as a part of the route in the dependencies.

Since I can't just delete it from the game (locked payware) and I can't find where the damn thing is on the map, I'm up a creek here..

If you know what the payware asset is you should be able to disable it in CM. Your route would then be unable to access the asset and it will become a "Missing Asset". You then use the Delete Missing Assets command in Surveyor then save the route.

Check the route dependencies to see if the asset is still present (it should not be). You can then enable the asset.

May not be a problem if the ground texture is also on the DLS at the same version many are.

Trouble with ground textures is overpainting or bulk replace invariably misses a bit somewhere that you cant find! I spent a couple of days once trying to find one that wouldn't go away, in the end I did as Pware suggests, problem solved.

If you know what the payware asset is you should be able to disable it in CM. Your route would then be unable to access the asset and it will become a "Missing Asset". You then use the Delete Missing Assets command in Surveyor then save the route.

Check the route dependencies to see if the asset is still present (it should not be). You can then enable the asset.

How do I go about disabling the asset?

How do I go about disabling the asset?

Go into Content Manager.
Click on the asset you want to disable.
Click on Content Manager and choose Hide.

When you're done doing what you need to do, go back to the same location and unhide the asset.

Note: Some versions of Trainz will show Disable on the same menu and not Hide. The process is the same.

It is these multi-step processes that are so annoying. I will never remember them all. This is a railroad simulator. But you need familiarity with database management language and processes. For those currently comfortable with that stuff it is just part of the program. Others are required to memorize these processes, document them, or hope the situation does not come up again. Perhaps some of these "rough edges" can be reduced by incorporating the solutions, as seen above, into the code so 2 months from now customers who confront the same issues, but fail to remember them - result frustration. That is not Rail Roading.

It is possible and allowed to have multiple versions of Trainz installed
What you could do, is 1 version where you have DLC's and just drive
and 1 very clean version of Trainz to build routes.
Also remember the older your version of Trainz, the more people can use your route
Here I'm using Build 100240 (before any service pack) to work on routes and sessions
Love my Undo, Bookmarks and grid buttons on the top menu bar

It is these multi-step processes that are so annoying. I will never remember them all.

Welcome, boleyd, to the increasingly complex world of computing and computer applications, not just railroad simulators. A very large part of the problem, of course, is that users demand more and more advanced features and developers are required to add more "sophistication" just to keep up with the competition (and customer demands). Its a never ending circle with increased complexity the price we pay.

Perhaps some of these "rough edges" can be reduced by incorporating the solutions, as seen above, into the code so 2 months from now customers who confront the same issues, but fail to remember them

Be careful what you wish for. The "solution" you refer to is already in the code, as drop-down menu options. Users can pick and chose which assets they want disabled and which to leave alone. What I suspect you are asking for is a single "magic button" in Surveyor that will eliminate all problems. Unfortunately, those sort of "one size fits all" solutions tend to fit no-one.

What is missing is documentation where these "magic" solutions can be recorded and easily found. The solutions to all problems are often buried here in forum posts but the forum is notoriously difficult to search to find anything and that is not helped by the way humans use the vagaries of language to express their ideas.

My thoughts.

What is missing is documentation where these "magic" solutions can be recorded and easily found. The solutions to all problems are often buried here in forum posts but the forum is notoriously difficult to search to find anything and that is not helped by the way humans use the vagaries of language to express their ideas.

My thoughts.
My 10 ch :D

Thanks for that, I didn't realise hide was the new disable. I'd previously needed to go into the route config and delete it out. There is something weird about textures lingering even when you've totally replaced them.

A simple filter in game of on DLS = true would be good, im pretty sure its only in content manager we get that atm

Thanks for that, I didn't realise hide was the new disable. I'd previously needed to go into the route config and delete it out. There is something weird about textures lingering even when you've totally replaced them.

A simple filter in game of on DLS = true would be good, im pretty sure its only in content manager we get that atm
There already is in Surveyor. For DLS ONLY
Show search filter
Plus button
Built in = false
Locally Modified = false
Packaged = false
Payware = false
Save filter as DLS Only and you're done

With persistence of textures, check if it an upversioned texture as ALL versions of the texture will need to be removed. This is particularly so with transdem textures.

cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
Back