Trainz Plus Beta update - PC# 119122 PC Steam #119118 Mac #119117 Mac Steam #119109

TY Laurence update was fast

Not sure what spline issues were actually repaired
it works smooth, but we are far off from an actual new product

Known Issues here: (sad if n3v knows only 2)

- No key new feature that is not in TRS19 (no unique selling point)

Ummm what are talking about here? This the beta test thread for the plus version. Compressed route, S2.0, Windows sound improvements are a few to come to mind.

If we look at 26 April 2019, release of TRS19 build 100240 and
we look at today TRS22, how much actual change is there? (in 3.5 years)
I know there is a lot in the works, great stuff even
but the current release does not give me unique FINISHED new things
actually, I lost more features than I gained

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?168322-An-Open-Letter-to-N3V
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?168566-Development-halted

I know it is different for everyone, but a beta thread should not be full of "ohh its fine"
please really test and let's work together to make it good.
If the ignore the customer/beta testers continues, we repeat "Fury"
we all want Trainz to stay and really evolve.

Missing sleepers/ties on junctions, here in <kuid2:122860:101430:12> TRS19 Canadian Rocky Mountains - Viktor Lake to Ross Peak & Glacier, but occurs on several other DLC routes (e.g. <kuid2:57230:100258:14> West from Denver - Moffat Route). Track is either "Built-in" or "Packaged".

dz16cd.jpg

Last edited:
As pointed out above re C&O Hinton Division DLC route problem at Mt Hope.

It looks like the problem is caused by the updated version of Mt Hope Depo
<kuid2:453099:100953:1>

The attachment point or direction has been changed in the new asset and therefore gawpo50 will need to make another update to make the new version compatible with the old version.

We're still investigating the other issues raised.

Warwick route

The original map has this asset: <kuid2:60238:38181:1> Bridge Deck 8
The latest map has this asset <kuid2:60238:38181:2> Bridge Deck 8
The attachment points have changed slightly resulting in the offset of the bridge pier being different

PC build 119122 here.

I found a sound issue. Some sounds are strangely echoing, it's like the there are 2 identical tracks playing at the same time. 3D-sounds are currently turned off in the menu settings, but either way some sounds play like this.

Maybe this has something to do with these news about adding support for XAudio2 (Windows):
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...-available-Build-118495&p=1935732#post1935732

Anyway, is this a known problem by the devs, or should I try to submit a bug report?
I mean, I could attach 2 different sound files as an example of how they sound in the current official build and in beta build aswell.

Re: missing sleepers/ties on junctions in Viktor Lake to Ross Peak & Glacier.

I see no such problem in various versions of the route: not in an original :9 version that I keep around (so that I can edit my
own sessions); not in version :11 freshly downloaded in Content Store. HPL runs version :12, so where does that come from?

FWIW, I'm running build 119117 Mac.

It appears that zooming out to satellite view and moving to a new area of the map is the easiest way to reproduce the missing sleepers. And further to that, we've identified that the issue has been around since before the official release in May.

So far in our testing, the issue does not appear when loading into the route at a low camera level and remaining at a low level. If someone is able to reproduce the issue without zooming out or jumping to another driver, please let us know the steps you are following.

If someone is able to reproduce the issue without zooming out or jumping to another driver, please let us know the steps you are following.

Simply editing a route/session or resuming a saved game and the bug is there. I see it in about 15 routes (including 6 DLCs). First time I noticed this is just after updating to latest beta build.

On the missing sleepers/tie issue, about 6 of my routes show this problem when I open them in drive session.

I can fix them in surveyor by using the command "smooth ground under selected". This fix seems to "stick" when I save and reopen the route again.

Today tried to edit a session of UMR2022 in this TRS22+ betabuild
but it just hangs opening, waited 35minutes then stopped the process
restarted pc and tried again, same result

the log is not usable, it misses a timestamp
there is no crashdump file

Smaller routes/sessions open in the blink of an eye
have all my local data on a superfast m2.SSD with 1.4TB free

Why is there a TRS19.dxvk-cache file in my TRS22 local dir?

Can someone who has UMR2022, try edit a session after a fresh update of TRS22+ beta
so not start new session, but EDIT a session.

both the Local "backup" as the "editing" dir shows that Trainz started to open the route and session

Questions:
-Is tzarcing everything the cause?
-Can TRS22+ still work with big routes?
UMR2022=584mb the session I tried to open only 1.3mb
-Why no timestamp on the log?
-Why no crashdump file?
-Why TRS19.dxvk-cache in TRS22?

Can someone who has UMR2022, try edit a session after a fresh update of TRS22+ beta
so not start new session, but EDIT a session.

15 secs here to edit my custom Quick Drive session.

Same.

Can TRS22+ still work with big routes?

"WVRR Mainline" is 1054.8MB and works flawlessly.

Last edited:
I am able to open the session in about 5 minutes. My content isn't precached in the beta and I'm loading from an older platter drive and not an SSD. I am also using Defender. I did modify the file type exclusion list to ensure that the Trainz executable and Trainz data files aren't attacked by the antivirus program. I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I wanted to ensure there was no excuse for Defender to ruin things.

With that said, how much RAM do you have, and do you have an adequate swap file? I have gobs of both because I use my system for other things besides Trainz and other games and require the RAM and swap space for those programs.

I will say that the content did load up quickly and unlike the current release version there is long redraw pauses where the content loads up slowly and track draws in segments. To compare, I loaded the same data in both versions and also chose my humongous route that takes me 8-hours to drive if I can make it that long and that loaded just the same. Unlike the UMR, my route also uses the procedural track and that didn't have the slow redraw problem either.

No crash dump occurred if the program was killed but if it died, then it died before the crash dump file could be written. I've seen that occur before not only with Trainz but also with other programs.

I agree the log is bugged and this was reported ages ago. I also wish, and this was taken into consideration too, that the log could be written to a text file. This could be an optional thing and have it so that it truncates and overwrites after a certain date and size to prevent eating up disk space. This is of course in addition to having an explicit path we can edit to send the file to a temp folder if we wish rather than hunting for it in the Trainz data.

Why that DX cache is named TRS19 is just a naming convention and probably due to the same technology appearing in both versions Being a beta version, the file naming hasn't been buttoned down yet is also a possibility. Back in the olden TANE days, there were many TS12-named files in that version. This kind of thing doesn't bother me. In my old company, the developers used the name of an old system they once built as part of the core files in the product that my employer sold. Seeing the name Helios was in reference to the old Polaroid digital X-ray imaging system that came before the Prediction 1420 and 2000 digital proofing systems. Both ran Solaris and, gasps loudly, and the new system also used a Java-based control-system for the hardware.

Thanks HPL and John

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32,0 GB
Total Physical Memory 32,0 GB
Available Physical Memory 25,6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36,7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 26,1 GB
Page File Space 4,75 GB

Just default, windows determines the swap, never had trouble loading any route or session before
maybe it's just a corrupt session, then comes the question how did it get corrupt?

What also could have happened that a windows update has changed Defender settings
but I can load/edit smaller routes and sessions just fine.
have many programs here, there is no prog or game that needs special treatment in Defender
will investigate more

Thanks HPL and John

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32,0 GB
Total Physical Memory 32,0 GB
Available Physical Memory 25,6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36,7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 26,1 GB
Page File Space 4,75 GB

Just default, windows determines the swap, never had trouble loading any route or session before
maybe it's just a corrupt session, then comes the question how did it get corrupt?

What also could have happened that a windows update has changed Defender settings
but I can load/edit smaller routes and sessions just fine.
have many programs here, there is no prog or game that needs special treatment in Defender
will investigate more

I recommend doubling at the minimum your page file. Windows is really conservative with that. This has always been the case even when I managed large data and database servers. Back in the day, the mantra was 1.5 x the amount of RAM. Today, it's double at least.

It is possible that the session got corrupted. A data glitch somewhere and a bit flipped. Remember, we don't use ECC memory, and something could've been written that critically overwrote something that caused the failure. There're are too many possibilities.

We've always configured the antivirus to tread lightly with Trainz data and the program due to how many files are constantly opened, closed, compressed and decompressed. Every time a route is accessed, the data is decompressed including all the dependencies. With the new .tzarc archives, these are the equivalent of Zip files, and the antivirus will want to scan the contents of these files each and every time they're touched. This extra overhead causes awful performance problems and can also corrupt Trainz data with some antivirus products because they're stricter in the stupid sense. AVG, Norton, and some others come to mind.

Don't get me going on Windows updates "fixing" things. I have constantly fought this since the early days. There's no reason to override settings such as power management because those things can break software.

I also have 32GB RAM, but swap/page file is disabled, and everything runs OK. When opening for edit my UMR2022 QD session, it uses 9 to 11GB DRAM and 3 to 3.5GB VRAM (depending on where I position on the map).

I have noticed that if you edit a route/session then close it (registering changes or not), if you don't restart the game, Trainz doesn't free the memory it used for editing, and you end up with extra RAM usage. For example, if I don't restart the game after editing then closing my QD session and edit again, it uses 16GB DRAM instead of 11 max.

Last edited:
I also have 32GB RAM, but swap/page file is disabled, and everything runs OK. When opening for edit my UMR2022 QD session, it uses 9 to 11GB DRAM and 3 to 3.5GB VRAM (depending on where I position on the map).

I have noticed that if you edit a route/session then close it (registering changes or not), if you don't restart the game, Trainz doesn't free the memory it used for editing, and you end up with extra RAM usage. For example, if I don't restart the game after editing then closing my QD session and edit again, it uses 16GB DRAM instead of 11 max.

I'd suspect it's not clearing the Cached memory until closing the program, I'd go for just letting Windows deal with the Page File, less problematic even if it's never used.

Back