Adapting YARN road material for drivable road vehicles.

JonMyrlennBailey

I made a demo video showing how I did it and what the drivable vehicles look like. I had to embed track into YARN road. The road track out there just does not make my cut. It has cosmetic issues for me:

-it is too narrow
-it does not support two-way traffic
-the tires are sunk into the pavement, one side or both sides of the truck
-it is crowned too high, vehicle tires won't sit flush with road surface on both sides of vehicle
-it does not bend nicely and/or straighten perfectly like YARN

TANE rails-only track is used for embedding. If the tops of the visible 3D rails are flush with the asphalt, so will be the contact patches of the truck tires. The rail-only track is later converted to a colored invisible-in-driver track. It turns out that truck tires ride 0.30 m high on this invisible track but right on the tops of the rails in 3D visible track. However, colored invisible-in-driver track has its colored band 0.30 m lower than the rail tops of 3D track, standard railroad track. So, when the visible track is embedded in the asphalt to the correct height and converted to this color-ribbon track, the truck tires will stay flush with the YARN surface. I use visible 3D track nowadays while embedding because it is easy to gauge the height of the rails compared with the road by eyeball. The colored-ribbon track is flat and doesn't have that 3rd dimension to gauge height or depth. I wish some clever content creator would come up with YARN-like two-way motor roadway track that allows truck tires to ride level with the asphalt.

On flat, level ground, track conforms well to the curves of YARN road but not to the grades unless the grade percentage is uniform. Changes in grade have different curve geometry between YARN road and track. Track and road don't bend the same way along a vertical plane. This why it takes a mess of close-interval spline points to try to get track and road level with one another. I put spline points in the road to try to make it conform to the track so as not to upset the track's curvature. Initially, I will put a spline point in the track right where there is a spline point in the road and make sure the track is centered in the lane of the road. Often I will have the track a bit closer to the road shoulder (white line) than the yellow double center line so there is safe distance between passing oncoming trucks. I then get track splines adjusted to be flush at road splines. Then whenever necessary, I put spline points along the center of the road to get road and track flush with one another. It is a fussy operation to get everything to look pretty. The other trouble is that when two tracks are running parallel over a changing grade road along a curvature, and upward/downward spiral, the curvature of both tracks might not be the same even though the spline points are the same height. One section of track one side of the road may bow up more along a changing gradient than the other. On the other side of the road, the pavement may be flush with track on that side but the track on the opposite side is protruding up out of the pavement. I then have to poke spline points in the track itself at the points where I placed spline points in the road for height adjustment. I then have to adjust that track on the high side to bring it level with the asphalt. Having spline points to close together on track curves can cause the drivable vehicles to shimmy or fishtail because of the polygonal nature of track. This usually happens in the tight gradient curves and I have to slow the trucks way down in these corners so the shimmy is not as noticeable. Vehicles round turns more smoothly up to speed on broader curves with wide-spaced spline points.

Last edited:
Edit the YARN-road and change the asset to track. Since these are older assets, you can get away with this a lot easier than with the newer track/roads which are constructed differently.

I recommend checking out other assets that are constructed similar to what you intend to do.

Here is a suggestion to have two-way drivability. These are all invisible track which is what you want. I have used these before to run drivable buses on roads, but they will work with drivable cars, trucks, etc.:

busroutew, busroute4, busroute2, busroute1, all by cyberstorm. One or two of these are double - you lay it, straighten, then connect the double sections with two single sections. Has colors (in surveyor) to help you adjust to the correct height. I suggest you download all four and start experimenting.

Here is a suggestion to have two-way drivability. These are all invisible track which is what you want. I have used these before to run drivable buses on roads, but they will work with drivable cars, trucks, etc.:

busroutew, busroute4, busroute2, busroute1, all by cyberstorm. One or two of these are double - you lay it, straighten, then connect the double sections with two single sections. Has colors (in surveyor) to help you adjust to the correct height. I suggest you download all four and start experimenting.

I dowloaded and tried it. Thanks but no thanks. Like all other railroad track, it does not readilly conform to the gradient curvature of YARN road. On flat ground, it has to be lowered 0.10 m below the spline point indications of ther YARN road. If the YARN road is 0.00, then the spline of the busroute2 must be -0.10 for Kenworth truck tires to be flush on the asphalt. It is hard to visually gauge colored ribbon track for height unlike 3D visible track that has visible rail head height. With visible steel railroad track, I know the truck tires will sit flush on the road if the railheads of the track is also flush with the road. When converting these steel rails to green invisible-in-driver track, I know the track height embedded in the road will be right on the money for Willem2's drivable trucks. I cannot convert visible track to busroute2 using replace assests otehrwise I would embed track into the road with vsiible track rails running down the middle of the YARN road. Kenworth trucks have theri ride height set to run with their tires flush on visible rail track or 0.30 m higher than invsible-in-driver track.

I would like to see two-way YARN-ish road with intergrated two-way track built right in and set so Kenworth tires are automatically flush with the pavement in all practical gradient and curve situations. 15% grade is about maximum practical slope for a road vehicle on rubber tires on good, snow-ice-free asphalt as in tropical island territory. 6% grade is really pushing it for railroad trains with slick steel wheels on slick rails. Willem2 is the content creator of these drivable truck tractors and there are a number of trailers for them. We don't yet have ready-made dowloadable track road with YARN-like beauty made to fit Willem2's vehicle tire treads like a kid glove.

Last edited:
I don't know how to do this. I will need traffic to run on both sides of the YARN road. Remember, I'm not a software engineer.

You don't have to be a software engineer to do this. Open up the config file of one of the assets that work but aren't suitable for your needs to see how it works. You can then adopt those settings to your road that you want to do the same thing. It's no different than reskinning or changing other things in an asset.

You don't have to be a software engineer to do this. Open up the config file of one of the assets that work but aren't suitable for your needs to see how it works. You can then adopt those settings to your road that you want to do the same thing. It's no different than reskinning or changing other things in an asset.

So, John, you are saying one can modify YARN road to have the same gradient geometery as track? :eek:

Update: well, John, I think I finally figured this out! The parameters for road and track are simple. I wish I knew about this in 2015 when I started Trainzing in Surveyor then! Change isroad to 0 and istrack to 1. Eazy peazy. Thank you, very much! Since my YARN road is now track, any railroad track embedded in it will hug its curvature like a glove. No more countless hours of stitching 1000's of spline points only to have trucks fishtail where spline points are too close together. Just have embedded track spline points correspond to the points in the road track. Adjust track heights so the silver railhead tops are just visible over the pavement. Keep on smooth truckin! :D

7Sfaazx.jpg

nzxZocd.jpg

rORrxCh.jpg

Last edited:
So, John, you are saying one can modify YARN road to have the same gradient geometery as track? :eek:

Update: well, John, I think I finally figured this out! The parameters for road and track are simple. I wish I knew about this in 2015 when I started Trainzing in Surveyor then! Change isroad to 0 and istrack to 1. Eazy peazy. Thank you, very much! Since my YARN road is now track, any railroad track embedded in it will hug its curvature like a glove. No more countless hours of stitching 1000's of spline points only to have trucks fishtail where spline points are too close together. Just have embedded track spline points correspond to the points in the road track. Adjust track heights so the silver railhead tops are just visible over the pavement. Keep on smooth truckin! :D

7Sfaazx.jpg

nzxZocd.jpg

rORrxCh.jpg

I turned shadows OFF for the screenshot to show how close the tire treads are to the road, uhhm, track now. Shadows do often get in the way of my vision when building in Surveyor.

Excellent! I'm glad you got that working. This capability while still there isn't as easy to do with the newer track which requires all kinds of meshes and parts.

Excellent! I'm glad you got that working. This capability while still there isn't as easy to do with the newer track which requires all kinds of meshes and parts.

It appears that old YARN road when in ISTRACK form geometrically jibes with the bend contours of regular railroad track. "Isroad"-configured splines seem to have different curvatures. I guess it would be hard for content creators to have YARN-like track with two lanes for two-way traffic and have them configured just right so drivable vehicle tires fit smack on the pavement surface.

Last edited:
It appears that old YARN road when in ISTRACK form geometrically jibes with the bend contours of regular railroad track. "Isroad"-configured splines seem to have different curvatures. I guess it would be hard for content creators to have YARN-like track with two lanes for two-way traffic and have them configured just right so drivable vehicle tires fit smack on the pavement surface.

I thought that might be the case with the road being different.

There's might be a to set the offset distance between tracks, but I can't remember which tag that is.

Last edited:
Back