New pishing technique to watch out for

johnwhelan

A new email account is created using an almost identical name and this is used to send a "buy me an amazon gift card at Walmart" message.

It got picked up as suspect initially because Walmart doesn't operate in the country that the person from whom the message was supposed to be from lives.

On closer inspection Postbox displayed a different name on the suspect email, one was a shortened version of the christian name than messages from the real person so first I assumed one of the characters has been replaced with a very similar looking one from the unicode side of things. It did pass all the Gmail spam checks.

Cheerio John

A new email account is created using an almost identical name and this is used to send a "buy me an amazon gift card at Walmart" message.

It got picked up as suspect initially because Walmart doesn't operate in the country that the person from whom the message was supposed to be from lives.

On closer inspection Postbox displayed a different name on the suspect email, one was a shortened version of the christian name than messages from the real person so first I assumed one of the characters has been replaced with a very similar looking one from the unicode side of things. It did pass all the Gmail spam checks.

Cheerio John

Not surprised in the least, Scams, Phishing and all the Best Buy calls we get, lots of bad stuff be creatively manipulated for illegal gains! :(

Thank you for sharing.......:wave:

A new 'pishing technique' could arouse some interest in Scotland, unless it refers to heavy rainfall of course.

There are people that fight these scammers daily. Some have done a great job exposing the scammers and have gotten them arrested. Sadly, in the countries where they're located, the police are taken care of, and they are released sooner than later only to start up their operations again.

Here's a couple of them from YouTube

Jim Browning - YouTube

Scammer Payback - YouTube

These two among others have teamed up together to fight the scammers along with Mark Rober, of glitter bomb fame to go after the money mules. In some scams, the victims are convinced to send cash in foil wrapped packages via UPS or Fed Ex instead of purchasing gift cards because the stores are stricter now about the gift cards. In some cases, the victims are wiring their funds to an offshore account located in Thailand and not India. The scammers and these banks appear to be in cahoots with each other. Some of the accounts have been shut down by the international banking police but that doesn't mean that more won't be opened up.

Back