Ruler tool in Surveyor 2.0

terry_g

I like to build real world lines and use historic maps and Google Earth to get plan and elevation data.
In Surveyor 1.0 I would use the rulers to set distances in northings and eastings to get relative locations of assets - normally from stations to bridges, bridge to bridge etc. - and then lay track to suit.
I can see no tool in Surveyor 2.0 to set up like this or to measure distances between assets.
Either I have not found the right menu item or this needs to be added in future patch.

That's one of the missing tools, Terry along with the bulk update, replace. N3V is working on that we were told.

Hi Terry_g
The separate ruler tool has been replaced in Surveyor 2.0 with a new 'ruler spline' asset. There's currently two included with TrainzPlus (and TRS22 itself from memory), known as 'Ruler Metric' and 'Ruler Imperial'. There's no functional difference, just a difference in the distance between 'segments' in case you want to use the ruler itself as a visual guide as well.

Regards
Zec

Hi Terry_g
The separate ruler tool has been replaced in Surveyor 2.0 with a new 'ruler spline' asset. There's currently two included with TrainzPlus (and TRS22 itself from memory), known as 'Ruler Metric' and 'Ruler Imperial'. There's no functional difference, just a difference in the distance between 'segments' in case you want to use the ruler itself as a visual guide as well.

Regards
Zec

Thankyou for the update on that, Zec.

Zec beat me to it.

Now that is funny, finally a way to measure the length of your curves. If the Replace spline with Selected asset was active, you could lay out track with rulers then replace it with track.

Last edited:
Zec beat me to it.

Now that is funny, finally a way to measure the length of your curves. If the Replace spline with Selected asset was active, you could lay out track with rulers then replace it with track.

Could you do that by opening the route in Surveyor 1 after laying it out in 2?

:B~)

Maybe, if whatever type of spline the rulers are are compatible with track splines.

Edit: Nope, the new rulers are scenery splines and yield an invalid configuration error when you try to replace them with the bulk replace tool. You can however use the new rulers in Surveyor Classic. So measuring curve track can be done by overlaying the spline points of the ruler over the spline points of the track.

Last edited:
Maybe, if whatever type of spline the rulers are are compatible with track splines.

Edit: Nope, the new rulers are scenery splines and yield an invalid configuration error when you try to replace them with the bulk replace tool. You can however use the new rulers in Surveyor Classic. So measuring curve track can be done by overlaying the spline points of the ruler over the spline points of the track.

Rats. Too bad.

:B~(

Back