ULTRA-DETAILED TERRAIN

Sorry no overhangs (3D modelling is quite different to terrain data). Steep cliffs will be possible since you won't be stretching a 5m grid to 50m height, but just how it all plays out is still being worked on. Things like texturing and tessellation and whether we limit the brush radius etc. There will also be texture limitations (much more so on DX11 cards than DX12).

This makes me believe that the limitation of only the height of a vertex changing remains in place but with a grid resolution of 0.125 of a meter or 4.92125984 inches per grid square. That is very interesting as perhaps fine textures may be at last possible. No more pebbles being a foot wide. I'm not troubled by not having overhangs as you have rock objects for that now. What excites me the most is the possibility of having a track travel across a slope without the ledge being two grid squares wide. Even with the 5m grid the smallest possible shelf is 32.808399 feet wide which is more than twice as wide as the prototype would be and even then you are left with the zipper teeth effect if the path of the shelf is not in alignment with the grid lines.

What excites me the most is the possibility of having a track travel across a slope without the ledge being two grid squares wide. Even with the 5m grid the smallest possible shelf is 32.808399 feet wide which is more than twice as wide as the prototype would be and even then you are left with the zipper teeth effect if the path of the shelf is not in alignment with the grid lines.

You bet - this, along with performance improvements [in most cases].

Sorry no overhangs (3D modelling is quite different to terrain data). Steep cliffs will be possible since you won't be stretching a 5m grid to 50m height, but just how it all plays out is still being worked on. Things like texturing and tessellation and whether we limit the brush radius etc. There will also be texture limitations (much more so on DX11 cards than DX12).

I'm looking forward to trying this out. This will be absolutely amazing. How are things looking for Macs and ultra terrain?

I'm looking forward to trying this out. This will be absolutely amazing. How are things looking for Macs and ultra terrain?[/QUO
Given direct x is involved, I'd say there's very little chance that this will work with Mac OS in the near future , due to the reasons outlined here https://hothardware.com/news/directx-12-on-mac-tougher-than-linux-work-is-underway ....hope I'm wrong, but my gut feelings say this will be another turf fx outcome , further making Mac an outlier as far as trainz is concerned.

I'm looking forward to trying this out. This will be absolutely amazing. How are things looking for Macs and ultra terrain?[/QUO
Given direct x is involved, I'd say there's very little chance that this will work with Mac OS in the near future , due to the reasons outlined here https://hothardware.com/news/directx-12-on-mac-tougher-than-linux-work-is-underway ....hope I'm wrong, but my gut feelings say this will be another turf fx outcome , further making Mac an outlier as far as trainz is concerned.

we will see. N3V already uses Metal for Macs and iOS, so I don’t think they need to translate DirectX 12 into Metal. I could be wrong of course.

we will see. N3V already uses Metal for Macs and iOS, so I don’t think they need to translate DirectX 12 into Metal. I could be wrong of course.

just after I posted I found an article on Metal 3 which indicated it would likely be possible, all too often people talk about macs they are referring to games that haven't been optimised for silicon and of course train sims are never ever mentioned.

I am very excited for this new terrain system, well done N3V!

Does this mean that TurfFX will be able to be placed much more accurately and precisely than before?

Cheers,

PLP

TransDEM isn’t fully compatible with current versions of Trainz because N3V hasn’t shared all the changes. N3V doesn’t want to share internal data structures because of 3rd party compatibility causing errors. I’ve asked for file formats. N3V doesn’t want to deal novice or small time programmers as they want a company that has the resources to carry out their projects as it understandably needs resources that are needed within N3V. I’ve suggested that they create an intermediate file format that is documented that 3rd party developers can use. The question is what N3V will do.

This is the attitude needed concerning how to optimize and improve Trainz; taking into account the company's position but actually providing an alternative solution. I see far too often certain people throwing up their hands saying "You can't please everyone!" or "Technology naturally gets more complex!" as if it answers problems with Trainz's numerous program complexities. It really annoys me because either statement is a basic attempt to justify mediocrity.

Now, with the actual terrain grid, I hope it reaches the game very well matured. That many more terrain data points can and will derail Trainz from ever running smoothly if not properly integrated. That's my concern anyways. Fingers crossed N3V has found a novel way to increase terrain resolution with a comparatively low increase in route data.

Back