Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ULTRA-DETAILED TERRAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    Sorry no overhangs (3D modelling is quite different to terrain data). Steep cliffs will be possible since you won't be stretching a 5m grid to 50m height, but just how it all plays out is still being worked on. Things like texturing and tessellation and whether we limit the brush radius etc. There will also be texture limitations (much more so on DX11 cards than DX12).
    I'm looking forward to trying this out. This will be absolutely amazing. How are things looking for Macs and ultra terrain?
    Trainz 2022 on Ventura. M1 Macs
    T Driver 3 iPhone SE2 iOS16

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=capdiamont;1941751]I'm looking forward to trying this out. This will be absolutely amazing. How are things looking for Macs and ultra terrain?[/QUO
    Given direct x is involved, I'd say there's very little chance that this will work with Mac OS in the near future , due to the reasons outlined here https://hothardware.com/news/directx...rk-is-underway ....hope I'm wrong, but my gut feelings say this will be another turf fx outcome , further making Mac an outlier as far as trainz is concerned.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

[QUOTE=dangavel;1941834]
    Quote Originally Posted by capdiamont View Post
    I'm looking forward to trying this out. This will be absolutely amazing. How are things looking for Macs and ultra terrain?[/QUO
    Given direct x is involved, I'd say there's very little chance that this will work with Mac OS in the near future , due to the reasons outlined here https://hothardware.com/news/directx...rk-is-underway ....hope I'm wrong, but my gut feelings say this will be another turf fx outcome , further making Mac an outlier as far as trainz is concerned.
    we will see. N3V already uses Metal for Macs and iOS, so I don’t think they need to translate DirectX 12 into Metal. I could be wrong of course.
    Trainz 2022 on Ventura. M1 Macs
    T Driver 3 iPhone SE2 iOS16

Mac will be supported (using Metal).
    Tony Hilliam

NEED HELP? Check these links:

Trainz Plus Features |
    Support Portal | Surveyor 2.0 Guide | TRS19 FAQs | Trainz Wiki

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=capdiamont;1941840]
    Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post

we will see. N3V already uses Metal for Macs and iOS, so I don’t think they need to translate DirectX 12 into Metal. I could be wrong of course.

just after I posted I found an article on Metal 3 which indicated it would likely be possible, all too often people talk about macs they are referring to games that haven't been optimised for silicon and of course train sims are never ever mentioned.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

I am very excited for this new terrain system, well done N3V!

Does this mean that TurfFX will be able to be placed much more accurately and precisely than before?

Cheers,

PLP
    Building the Swanage Railway for TRS22.

Quote Originally Posted by capdiamont View Post
    TransDEM isn’t fully compatible with current versions of Trainz because N3V hasn’t shared all the changes. N3V doesn’t want to share internal data structures because of 3rd party compatibility causing errors. I’ve asked for file formats. N3V doesn’t want to deal novice or small time programmers as they want a company that has the resources to carry out their projects as it understandably needs resources that are needed within N3V. I’ve suggested that they create an intermediate file format that is documented that 3rd party developers can use. The question is what N3V will do.
    This is the attitude needed concerning how to optimize and improve Trainz; taking into account the company's position but actually providing an alternative solution. I see far too often certain people throwing up their hands saying "You can't please everyone!" or "Technology naturally gets more complex!" as if it answers problems with Trainz's numerous program complexities. It really annoys me because either statement is a basic attempt to justify mediocrity.

Now, with the actual terrain grid, I hope it reaches the game very well matured. That many more terrain data points can and will derail Trainz from ever running smoothly if not properly integrated. That's my concern anyways. Fingers crossed N3V has found a novel way to increase terrain resolution with a comparatively low increase in route data.