ULTRA-DETAILED TERRAIN

Christopher824

CDETrainz.com
Per the newsletter..

The long awaited terrain resolution increase is finally on its way. Currently Trainz terrain is either 10m or 5m resolution. With our brand new "single-pass terrain" that offers superior performance than the existing "multi-pass terrain", ultra terrain resolution is possible without compromising on performance!

Ultra-detailed terrain is like building with sand as you sculpt the landscape. This is a game changer for terrain creation!

This is next level for sure!. I have been awaiting this, knew we would get there one day, and more to come..

Online Newsletter HERE

Ultra Detailed Terrain.jpg

I saw that too. This will be awesome when it arrives. Hopefully we can tesselate and update parts of the terrain that will need it the most such as up close to the tracks and in those places where the lower resolution doesn't work such as near tunnels and near cliff edges.

Amazing. Imagine how mountainous routes would look with that kind of terrain. This is something that was needed for a while.

Last edited:
I think this will be a nice upgrade. Even with compression, file sizes will increase. Looking at the demo photo, that highly detailed terrain, was generated somehow. I don't know that people will want to create such highly detailed terrain, by raising or lowering manually. Was this computer generated or from a DEM? How are we going to get DEM data in the game, as high resolution as this? I don't think the current software out there, can support higher resolution export of DEM data to Trainz. Trainz currently does not work with DEM data directly.

I think this will be a nice upgrade. Even with compression, file sizes will increase. Looking at the demo photo, that highly detailed terrain, was generated somehow. I don't know that people will want to create such highly detailed terrain, by raising or lowering manually. Was this computer generated or from a DEM? How are we going to get DEM data in the game, as high resolution as this? I don't think the current software out there, can support higher resolution export of DEM data to Trainz. Trainz currently does not work with DEM data directly.

As the picture states. 'Artistic Representation Only'

Currently Trainz terrain is either 10m or 5m resolution. With our brand new "single-pass terrain" that offers superior performance than the existing "multi-pass terrain", ultra terrain resolution is possible without compromising on performance!

WOO WOW!!! Oh boy! Looks real spectacular!

But, what I'd really wish is that N3V would finish what they start! :confused: That being the Environmental effects pertaining to weather that was supposed to be "new" in TRS19! They got as far as "drizzle/light snow" but did not finish the Skybox for "rain/medium snow, and "storm/heavy snow". Then there's the great thunder sounds N3V "went through the trouble" of digitally sampling... but where's the damn lightning!??? Many people have been complaining about this since TRS19. Now we have the new incarnation three years later "TRS22". Still this issue has yet to be worked on and finished! [Just recently someone had started a major thread about this, to which many people got involved incl. Tony and N3V. Their answer: it's on a list of things to do. That was a little less than two months ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath.] This would not be hard to do. The weather in TS12 is better than the recent versions of Trainz; complete with thunder... AND lightning! Can you believe that! :hehe:

Want to defend N3V Games? Ok. (Before you do though) set up a really BAD morning scene in surveyor of your favorite route/session. Set it to 6:30 in the morning. Heavy snow, and three quarters fog! Press "Driver". The freakin' sun shows through the weatherly mess... even if you are looking in the opposite direction of the suns position!!! :confused:

N3V. Make my day! PLEASE! Er' scratch that... make my night -a STORMY NIGHT!

-Clint

@JAGG & ClintClassic.. .Absolutely agreed. So many basic issues remain. unrealistic precipitation on surfaces, unrealistic lighting emanating from surfaces and lamps, unrealistic skybox, erratic AI...The list goes on and yes, all on the ignore list. Fix those up first rather than go down the "Gee Whiz" look at all the eye candy stuff.

Amazing they are doing this, yet we still can’t rotate scenery objects around all 3 axes, have splines with night mode, or coronas that don’t shine through walls.

Will the new terrain allow the sculpting of overhanging cliffs, caves or true tunnels (ie. tunnels without digholes)?

Don't forget about dynamic/volumetric lighting for objects such as streetlights and lamps, that is something we're missing too. I still do appreciate the high detailed terrain, though.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how TransDEM will handle this new upgrade?

I too would like to second dynamic/volumetric lighting.

Dave

TransDEM already deals internally with higher resolution than current Trainz maps but N3V would have to share the details of the format of the new grid system for TransDEM to output in that format.

Which seems to be the end of one another story... (like of most previous honest attempts of 3rd party programmers to substitute N3V's reluctance).

TransDEM already deals internally with higher resolution than current Trainz maps but N3V would have to share the details of the format of the new grid system for TransDEM to output in that format.

TransDEM isn’t fully compatible with current versions of Trainz because N3V hasn’t shared all the changes. N3V doesn’t want to share internal data structures because of 3rd party compatibility causing errors. I’ve asked for file formats. N3V doesn’t want to deal novice or small time programmers as they want a company that has the resources to carry out their projects as it understandably needs resources that are needed within N3V. I’ve suggested that they create an intermediate file format that is documented that 3rd party developers can use. The question is what N3V will do.

We don't know who might be involved in this, or what means of importing terrain N3V will use, Transdem has other export methods than the current Trainz grid, I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Even without the 3rd party add on, the competitor had the weather and rain effects correctly portrayed many years ago. The skybox in particular in this add on is quite something. Are you paying attention, N3V?

Back