Classic grid.

Frank_Dean

I know that I am speaking for the desert, that once a reform has been carried out, it continues.
Since 2004 (14 years) I have had the classic engineering grid.
This has come out several times, but maybe to the umpteenth complaint, someone will solve it.
I would like to have it forever predetermined that in engineering in 2019 when a route begins the terrain does not have the damn carpet of green grass.
Is there a hidden option to permanently override that default texture and have the classic grid?
Why change what works?
Why not put a selection option for the classic grid?
Why do I have to do several steps, select and search for regions, to have a classic grid?

I know that I am speaking for the desert, that once a reform has been carried out, it continues.
Since 2004 (14 years) I have had the classic engineering grid.
This has come out several times, but maybe to the umpteenth complaint, someone will solve it.
I would like to have it forever predetermined that in engineering in 2019 when a route begins the terrain does not have the damn carpet of green grass.
Is there a hidden option to permanently override that default texture and have the classic grid?
Why change what works?
Why not put a selection option for the classic grid?
Why do I have to do several steps, select and search for regions, to have a classic grid?

Hi,

I'm with you, but I go back to 2001, so i asked about the grid myself, and someone posted this to me --- it's at the DLS Copy and paste this:

CDE USA GRID REGION

Then click create route in trainz, scroll down below default, and it should be the second selection!

Also, I saw a video from N3V that the grid is an option in TRZ22!

Kind regards
Ish

Last edited:
I suppose if you are wanting a European region, though, that would not be an option? I am wondering if you could select the green carpet and then bulk replace with the standard grid?

There are some regions by pware, which are using a grid texture.
<kuid:45176:100362> United Kingdom with TRS19 Grid
<kuid:45176:100490> Australia with TRS19 Grid
<kuid:45176:100481> France with TRS19 Grid
<kuid:45176:100488> Germany with TRS19 Grid
<kuid:45176:100499> Switzerland with TRS19 Grid
<kuid:45176:100437> United States with TRS19 Grid

Peter

The worst part about the default grass was that it obscures the map data and images painted on the terrain by TransDEM. My TRS19 sp1 wasn't affected, but when the route was transferred to my friend's TRS19 sp4, the grass was the only thing visible. I believe that the painted on maps were visible when one looked down from a great height, but most of us zoom in pretty close when we're working on details.

I guess that I'm wondering if you apply the grid substitution, would it cover the painted map details with the desired basic grid? I imagine that it would. I guess that UTM tiles would survive, but I preferred the maps painted on terrain for its simplicity.

Changing the default region to a grid region should not effect the TransDEM, but they will need to load the map again after changing the default. The grid only effects new baseboards placed, once change it will be the default.

There are some regions by pware, which are using a grid texture.
<kuid:45176:100362> United Kingdom with TRS19 Grid
<kuid:45176:100490> Australia with TRS19 Grid
<kuid:45176:100481> France with TRS19 Grid
<kuid:45176:100488> Germany with TRS19 Grid
<kuid:45176:100499> Switzerland with TRS19 Grid
<kuid:45176:100437> United States with TRS19 Grid

Peter

So you have to wonder why that isn't the standard.

So you have to wonder why that isn't the standard.

You can speculate on that question.

Did some users complain about the "annoying grid" pattern on new baseboards?
Did someone at N3V decide to make the change to promote the new grass PBR textures (the TRS19 grid pattern is a PBR texture)?

In any case, I think that, because of threads such as this, many users will now be aware of the menu option to reset the grid back to the standard pattern or, via a region asset, set their own favourite PBR texture as the standard grid.

Well, it did allow one user to flood the DLS with routes that look like they took no more than 5 minutes to create and upload. Forty nine of the latest fifty TRS22 routes are by that one user.

That happens regardless. The only difference is that the layouts now have a "nice" green grassy covering instead of the grid pattern. The fact that they do not have a useful description, in fact they have no descriptions at all, means that they fail my basic standard test, so I ignore them.

Hi,

I'm with you, but I go back to 2001, so i asked about the grid myself, and someone posted this to me --- it's at the DLS Copy and paste this:

CDE USA GRID REGION

Then click create route in trainz, scroll down below default, and it should be the second selection!

Also, I saw a video from N3V that the grid is an option in TRZ22!

Kind regards
Ish

PIA to have to do this, but it works. Thanks Ish.

It seems that the issue is that the green color is nice and the classic grid is very ugly.
Is it so difficult to place a classic internal or built-in grid region?
Previously, since Trainz came out (22 years) all the internal regions had a classic grid.

The steps that need to be done currently:
1- Know that there are some regions with a classic grid in the DLS and search for them.
2-Download and install.
3-Remember when starting a new route which are the regions with classic grid (exact name), because there are many without classic grid.
What used to be done automatically, now you need several steps.
This is going backwards.

Perhaps many do not make routes, but for me the classic grid gives me an idea of ​​sizes and lengths between objects and railway tracks.
Then later, once the area in which you are working is finished, the terrain is textured and the classic grid is no longer needed.
I know the classic grid regions in the DLS, and I have them written in stone.
As I said at the beginning, talk to a desert or a wall.

PIA to have to do this, but it works. Thanks Ish.

You are welcome. sir!

For N3V - And I say again, why mess with the formular N3V that's been there since trainz 3.1, which I still have in my classic CD, the grid for me at least is a million times so useful in so many ways!

Ish

Frank, I have the original 2019 without updating and I don't really have that problem.
Would it be possible to uninstall updated TRS2019 and reinstall the original without problems? My question is for the experts on these topics.

Regards, Javier

The day i saw that wooly green carpet as standard grid, i made this

It is Non PBR so it won't push up anything when you work on an old route
It has no fake bolts, just more lines, a line at every meter

After a bit fiddeling I have it now as default grid in TRS19 100240
i forget what i did

if you want to add it to your favorite Region add this line
default-texture <kuid:99999:1180>

download

Didn't someone suggest in another thread that having a default PBR cover on the terrain eliminated the PBR vs non-PBR clashes that many people have trouble with? Would that be the reason the default grass was instituted?

Back