nv3'S Recommendations aint worth a hill of beans.

... the installers were the same for Regional, Base and Platinum from (TRS19) SP2 and beyond. Your username unlocked the features.

That is correct. In my case I purchased TRS19 Platinum. I then upgraded to Trainz Plus (via the subscription) and the change occurred without a new software download. My username and password unlocked the Trainz Plus features the next time I started what I thought was TRS19 Platinum and found that it was now Trainz Plus. If I cancel the subscription (due January each year) then when it expires my copy of Trainz Plus will revert to TRS19 Platinum without any software downloads.

What I am wondering, is an installer required if you have a legal copy of another game folder, or even the build as well? That's if you already own the game, of course.

I have Trainz folders (base install & data) for TC3, TS2009, TS2010, TS2012, TMR2017, TANE SP2 SP3 & SP4 and TS2019 SP0 & SP1 archived away on a Seagate 4Tb external hard drive. I can copy any one of these onto either of my two computers and they will work just fine. My TS2012 install as one example has been transferred entire and complete four times so far as I upgraded from one computer to another computer.
Trainz doesn't use the registry which makes moving Trainz installs around very easy.

How easy is it ........Johnny ?

I have Trainz folders (base install & data) for TC3, TS2009, TS2010, TS2012, TMR2017, TANE SP2 SP3 & SP4 and TS2019 SP0 & SP1 archived away on a Seagate 4Tb external hard drive. I can copy any one of these onto either of my two computers and they will work just fine. My TS2012 install as one example has been transferred entire and complete four times so far as I upgraded from one computer to another computer.
Trainz doesn't use the registry which makes moving Trainz installs around very easy.

Not trying to offend, Girl,.........Johnny is a mythical, mischievous character in the USA that acts like a know-it-all and someone we blame our mistakes on !

Any way, I think I am getting part of an answer that I had asked in a thread and people responded but didn't answer the question:

How do I get a good build of 2019 that I bought for my granddaughter's computer into my computer because somehow by becoming a Gold member my copy of that build was automatically updated to a bad build?

I'm thrilled with your statement that, " Trainz doesn't use the registry which makes moving Trainz installs around very easy. " BUT.... it's only easy if you know how to do it !!!!

Could it be as easy as:

Copy......Paste...... then drag the game start-up icon out onto the desk top then click on it ?

Could you have a ten words of less tutorial in mind that would help me ? ( I don't want to be too much of a bother )

Wild Willy the Wacko

Not trying to offend, Girl,.........Johnny is a mythical, mischievous character in the USA that acts like a know-it-all and someone we blame our mistakes on !

Any way, I think I am getting part of an answer that I had asked in a thread and people responded but didn't answer the question:

How do I get a good build of 2019 that I bought for my granddaughter's computer into my computer because somehow by becoming a Gold member my copy of that build was automatically updated to a bad build?

I'm thrilled with your statement that, " Trainz doesn't use the registry which makes moving Trainz installs around very easy. " BUT.... it's only easy if you know how to do it !!!!

Could it be as easy as:

Copy......Paste...... then drag the game start-up icon out onto the desk top then click on it ?

Could you have a ten words of less tutorial in mind that would help me ? ( I don't want to be too much of a bother )

Wild Willy the Wacko

First of all you need to save both your Trainz install folder and its data folder to an external hard drive. I normally use a small Western Digital SSD external hard drive for making transfers like this. The data folder might be a bit tricky to find if you let it take the default situation during installation instead of setting that option yourself. The default location can be found by following this path: Local Disc (c) -> Users -> Owner ->App Data -> Local -> N3V Games -> trs19.
I never use the default location and always specify the same drive as the Trainz install is on.

Depending on how large your Data folder is it might take a while to copy across to the external hard drive so go and make a cup of tea or coffee while you wait.

Once the two folders are copied over you can take the external hard drive over to the computer you want to load them into and copy and paste them onto your hard drive of choice. This might also take a while.

Once everything is loaded in click on the yellow fast cheese Trainz icon in the install folder and you'll get the usual new install performance options menu. When the Train start menu box appears go immediately into settings and specify where the data folder you transferred over is. Do not forget to do this!
After that enter your login name and password and exit the settings menu. You will need to close the Trainz start menu as well.

Now you can setup your desktop icon and click on it to start Trainz.

I'm going to print this out and tape it to the wall beside my comp !!!!!

First of all you need to save both your Trainz install folder and its data folder to an external hard drive. I normally use a small Western Digital SSD external hard drive for making transfers like this. The data folder might be a bit tricky to find if you let it take the default situation during installation instead of setting that option yourself. The default location can be found by following this path: Local Disc (c) -> Users -> Owner ->App Data -> Local -> N3V Games -> trs19.
I never use the default location and always specify the same drive as the Trainz install is on.

Depending on how large your Data folder is it might take a while to copy across to the external hard drive so go and make a cup of tea or coffee while you wait.

Once the two folders are copied over you can take the external hard drive over to the computer you want to load them into and copy and paste them onto your hard drive of choice. This might also take a while.

Once everything is loaded in click on the yellow fast cheese Trainz icon in the install folder and you'll get the usual new install performance options menu. When the Train start menu box appears go immediately into settings and specify where the data folder you transferred over is. Do not forget to do this!
After that enter your login name and password and exit the settings menu. You will need to close the Trainz start menu as well.

I'm deep into something now but I'm going to work on this.

Most of what you said, I understand because I move my data off C drive also.

Thank you very much !

Wild Willy the Wacko

I tried this but it doesn't work for me.........

maybe because I believe in Murphy's Law.

When I click on the " yellow fast cheese Trainz icon " I get a message box that says:

The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly ( 0xc0000005 ).

Click OK to close the Application

SO, I'm back to square ZERO!

Wild Willy the Wacko

If N3V would only give access to this.......

I don't know if this help with this conversation or not but, 'TRS19 Service Pack 2 (SP2), Build 110491, unifies all TRS19 customers onto the same build number with cross-compatibility for content, routes and sessions including multiplayer.'

See this page for the build numbers;
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Build_Numbers

I seem to remeber, but can't find it now, that the installers were the same for Regional, Base and Platinum from SP2 and beyond. Your username unlocked the features.

Build 110491 is the build that I put on my granddaughter's computer that worked for me and I lost it on mine! ( I paid for and/or updated to it )

Can you see above that I tried KotangaGirl's instructions to get it to work again on mine and it won't work for me!

I had previously followed the above link to Build Numbers and I believe that for some past versions there were links to build downloads but not for 2019 !

Wild Willy the Wacko

Last edited:
maybe because I believe in Murphy's Law.

When I click on the " yellow fast cheese Trainz icon " I get a message box that says:

The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly ( 0xc0000005 ).

Click OK to close the Application

SO, I'm back to square ZERO!

Wild Willy the Wacko
All I can think of is that there must be some kind of hidden code marker to prevent the sharing of TS2019 installs.

It's probably something like that !

All I can think of is that there must be some kind of hidden code marker to prevent the sharing of TS2019 installs.

But what is the difference from what you do and what I do?

I built the comp for my grandaughter when she was 7 it's registered under my Microsoft account and all Trainz items were purchased or downloaded under my Trainz account and I did actually buy a digital download for 2019 through her comp. as well as the comp. that is at my house, leaglely speaking, they are both my computers.

If N3V would just provide links to downloadable builds of 2019 it could be athenticated through them and there would be no question that I was pirating the program!!!!!

Wild Willy the Wacko

But what is the difference from what you do and what I do?

I built the comp for my grandaughter when she was 7 it's registered under my Microsoft account and all Trainz items were purchased or downloaded under my Trainz account and I did actually buy a digital download for 2019 through her comp. as well as the comp. that is at my house, leaglely speaking, they are both my computers.

If N3V would just provide links to downloadable builds of 2019 it could be athenticated through them and there would be no question that I was pirating the program!!!!!

Wild Willy the Wacko

I'm afraid I don't really know. Some of my own installs have been shifted from one computer to another three times and from Windows 7 to Windows 10 as well without any problems.

This from Microsoft:
Application Error 0xc0000005 (Access Violation)[FONT=&quot] error is usually caused by your computer not being able to correctly process the files and settings required to run a particular program or installation. Despite the error showing when you try and use particular pieces of software, it has many different causes including faulty RAM problems, errors with the files of your PC and issues with the settings of your PC.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]In this case, we suggest that you check for corrupted Windows system files. System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Windows that scans for corrupted Windows system files. If it finds a problem, it will try to replace the problematic system files from a cached version that’s on your PC.

To run System File Checker (SFC), follow these steps:[/FONT]

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt, then select Run as administrator > Yes.
  2. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the /). Scanning will take a few minutes.
  3. If SFC finds corrupted files and replaces them, restart your PC and check if the issue persists.
[FONT=&quot]For more info about System File Checker, see [/FONT]Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Willy on your Daughters PC, check and copy these files

c:\Users\UserName*\AppData\Local\com.n3vgames.trs19\tane-settings.dat
c:\Users\UserName*\AppData\Local\com.n3vgames.trs19\typatch-settings.dat
c:\Users\UserName*\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\userdata-redirect-map.txt

*Username is the username of your daughter
on your PC it will have to be your Username

Trainz needs these also, so after copy the TRS19Sp1 from Daughters to your PC
also do the files posted above and make sure the path in the : userdata-redirect-map.txt
is correct for your PC
hth
greetings GM

Willy on your Daughters PC, check and copy these files

c:\Users\UserName*\AppData\Local\com.n3vgames.trs19\tane-settings.dat
c:\Users\UserName*\AppData\Local\com.n3vgames.trs19\typatch-settings.dat
c:\Users\UserName*\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\userdata-redirect-map.txt

*Username is the username of your daughter
on your PC it will have to be your Username

Trainz needs these also, so after copy the TRS19Sp1 from Daughters to your PC
also do the files posted above and make sure the path in the : userdata-redirect-map.txt
is correct for your PC
hth
greetings GM

Thanks, I will do that but it will be a few days before I can get out to her house so you won't hear if I can do this right for a while.

Willy

I have had some odd behaviours of late running the up to date TRS19 (SP5 I presume). Have mentioned the water environmental settings not keeping, but a couple of times now I have come back into a route to find the track I laid has vanished, but the terrain where I formed it, the earthworks if you will, are still there. EDB didn't help, it's not an issue with layers as I always check I'm in the route layer. Very odd.

I get that problem fairly often in TRS22, editing the terrain causes the water layer (new effect) to vanish. Going back into it and 'painting' any height for the water brings it back.

I have had some odd behaviours of late running the up to date TRS19 (SP5 I presume). Have mentioned the water environmental settings not keeping, but a couple of times now I have come back into a route to find the track I laid has vanished, but the terrain where I formed it, the earthworks if you will, are still there. EDB didn't help, it's not an issue with layers as I always check I'm in the route layer. Very odd.

Some of my environmental assets keep on thinking its winter , some seasonal items are always devoid of leaves, the month set is july, but its still winter as far as the plants are concerned , if I change the month to august they burst into bloom, but when I save the route, the plants revert to the leafless state. Ive been told that this is because session and route do not have same dates, but they appear to have the same when I look at them and I have no idea how I would set both to be the same date anyway . I thought the session has no real affect on a route unless you work in that layer ?

Could this be LAT/LONG placing you on the wrong side of the Equator?
Pretty sure it's set to USA , I usually do that when I start a project but I'll double check just to make sure and yes it was correct, this is something that seems to have taken place specifically in 2019. I'd love to know what's causing it, if I deleted the session might that help ?

Last edited:
The other oddity I've noted is "locked" layers, typically Basemaps on a model railway still occasionally moving, i.e. changing height if you lift terrain in the ground editor. Surely locked = locked!

On the little layout I'm working on at the moment I raised terrain to 7m above ground level. The locked basemaps came with it and now think 7m is ground level, 0m...

The other oddity I've noted is "locked" layers, typically Basemaps on a model railway still occasionally moving, i.e. changing height if you lift terrain in the ground editor. Surely locked = locked!

Well, yes and no!

I just tried that with track splines that have non-fixed heights (i.e. are showing white spline circles). The track is in a locked layer and it cannot be moved, its spline heights set or even have its property window opened. However, if you raise (or lower) the terrain under the spline points then the track moves up (or down) with the terrain. The track (in its layer) may be locked but it is taking its unfixed height from the terrain. The terrain is not in a layer so it cannot be locked.

If you try the same with splines that have fixed heights (i.e. yellow spline circles) then they do not move when the terrain height is altered. Fixed spline points do not depend on the terrain for their default height setting.

That is my explanation anyway.

Back