Restoring auto backups

GaryReggae

I'm trying to revert to a previous version of a route and session I was working on yesterday but when I try and drag the TZARC file from yesterday's date into CM I get
! <NULL> : Unsupported file type for 'G:/Games/Trainz/TRS22/backups/22-09-05/kuid 228113 100284.tzarc' - I have renamed the TZARC file extension as it previously had _and then numbers as the file ext.
I have also tried dragging and dropping a folder with the correct KUID into CM and that has restored the session but not the route - <kuid:228113:100284> shows as unknown asset as a dependency of the session.
I have saved today's version of the route as a new route and session and then deleted the existing one edited today with the old name but that makes no difference.

It's not a huge problem as it is only a test route and I have only accidentally deleted a couple of boards so it is 80% there but if anyone can advise in restoring this then would be great, thanks.

i believe you need to drag the TZARC file in to the local folder and then do a database rebuild and you should be ok, TZARC files are not compatible with CM

nzld

So I have just learned the hard way about .tzarc files... the procedure works just as indicated. HOWEVER, the the case of my computer, the .tzarc comes with an added number (e.g. kuid2 836643 20315 1.tzarc_3759415162) as indicated in the article. You ABSOLUTELY need to change the file name and remove the extra numbers. If you don't, and you just copy it to the editing folder, the process will fail. But worse, the .tzarc file will be gone, so you have LOST your backup!!! I lost at least one backup that way. :'( Now I know better.

My recommendation, if you need to use a .tzarc copy the file to a safe location and then attempt the backup. Should it fail, at least you'll still have the .tzarc available to try again.

Cheers,

Papa_de-05

So I have just learned the hard way about .tzarc files... the procedure works just as indicated. HOWEVER, the the case of my computer, the .tzarc comes with an added number (e.g. kuid2 836643 20315 1.tzarc_3759415162) as indicated in the article. You ABSOLUTELY need to change the file name and remove the extra numbers. If you don't, and you just copy it to the editing folder, the process will fail. But worse, the .tzarc file will be gone, so you have LOST your backup!!! I lost at least one backup that way. :'( Now I know better.

My recommendation, if you need to use a .tzarc copy the file to a safe location and then attempt the backup. Should it fail, at least you'll still have the .tzarc available to try again.

Cheers,

Papa_de-05

Yup. I discovered that the hard way as well and now this is included in the instructions on the Wiki.

Saving the file is always a good idea for those just in case something goes the wrong way.

Back