Points & Signals

rhban

I like signals, and if I don't restrain myself, can easily over-signal any piece of track, but...
Points (switches) work really well, usually changing immediately after a perceived blockage has passed or, if there are a number of points, trying out every combination till the correct one is found. Signals, on the other hand, seem to lag significantly behind, and I have found that on section with a large number of points as at a Terminus or a Depot, it often works better if I remove the signals altogether. I hate doing this. I want signals as a visual sign that everything is OK, but why do they not work in sync?

I can't recall ever experiencing that issue (but that does not mean it cannot happen).

Signals work on a block basis. Each block is determined by the path ahead from the signal until the next signal (or to the end-of-track or to an item of rolling stock occupying the track, and the like). There is also a limit to how far ahead a signal can "see" in the next block - I believe that is about 10km or so.

With yards, depots and terminals those paths can be complex depending on the switch settings. If the set path ahead ends on an obstruction, such as an item of rolling stock or an "end of track", but not on another signal, then the signal would be expected to show a STOP aspect. I always make sure that all my "end-of-track" locations have a signal asset such as a Stop (signal) sign or a track buffer (signal), or both.

The ones I use are:-

<kuid2:61119:24004:2> Stop (Signal)
<kuid2:61119:24003:2> Stop (Signal) RH
<kuid2:61119:24100:1> Timber Sleeper Track End

Check that all your dead end track sidings and the like are suitably terminated with signal objects.

My suggestions.

Not sure if this will work, but it's an idea. In a very congested area, you might want to consider setting the radius of the points to 1m. It might help with the signals.

There is sometimes a delay with signals but that's related to the AI plotting its route through the points and signals. This can be seen in places where there's lots of points and possible routes.

Regarding signaling in general, I find placing signals facing towards the exit rather than the entrance to a terminus work better. The only signal then is the buffer, or bumper as we call them up here, at the end of the track. A buffer is in reality a stop signal, so the AI won't go passed the end of the track.

Yes, I discovered early on that simply placing buffers was not sufficient. (Replying to chill46)

Last edited:
Not sure if this will work, but it's an idea. In a very congested area, you might want to consider setting the radius of the points to 1m. It might help with the signals.

This sounds very sensible, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do it.

Me neither. I know how to set the radius of track marks but not switches. There appears to be no setting that I can find anywhere.

It's done exactly the same way using the same tool. It's not very intuitive.

There is a caveat. Setting the radius too small can mean the AI will sometimes sit right up on the points.

It's done exactly the same way using the same tool. It's not very intuitive.
Not intuitive is an understatement:D

If you select Trackmark Mode in the Track tool (in S1.0) you will see an Advanced button at the bottom of the pop-out window. This gives you access to the tools needed to change the effect radius of Trackmarks.

If you select Trackside Mode in the same Tool, you will not see an Advanced button to allow you to change anything, such as switches.

However, after a bit of random "try-this-and-see-what-happens", I discovered that the Trackmark Mode Advanced tools will allow you to change the effect radius of switches as well. Well hidden!

My explorations.

However, after a bit of random "try-this-and-see-what-happens", I discovered that the Trackmark Mode Advanced tools will allow you to change the effect radius of switches as well. Well hidden!

Oh wow! I never saw that one, well hidden indeed!

My explorations.

Well well....never knew that. Useful piece of knowledge pware, cheers.

If you select Trackmark Mode in the Track tool (in S1.0) you will see an Advanced button at the bottom of the pop-out window. This gives you access to the tools needed to change the effect radius of Trackmarks.

If you select Trackside Mode in the same Tool, you will not see an Advanced button to allow you to change anything, such as switches.

My explorations.

Fascinating

My explorations.

Thank Sir PWare,

Outstanding educational element here, took me a minute to read and follow your instructions. Old Guys Brain engaging! :hehe:

But it worked, never would have found that one......:sleep:

Well done sir, and a Virtual Drink to you for your efforts......:Y:

Back