Route Selection Taking a While to Load

SRKing783

''Trainz Veteran''
Title says it all. Every time I try to open TRS22, it takes forever to load up the route selection. I'm not sure if this is a bug or something else, but it takes a while to load the routes. The actual game runs just fine, and I can still use Content Manager and My Collection, but the route selection menu takes a while to load. If it helps, I'm running Build 117654 on a 16" MBP with an M1 Pro and 16 GB of RAM, if it's related to my computer.

Title says it all. Every time I try to open TRS22, it takes forever to load up the route selection. I'm not sure if this is a bug or something else, but it takes a while to load the routes. The actual game runs just fine, and I can still use Content Manager and My Collection, but the route selection menu takes a while to load. If it helps, I'm running Build 117654 on a 16" MBP with an M1 Pro and 16 GB of RAM, if it's related to my computer.

How much disk space do you have?

Is this a regular disk or SSD?

A regular disk may need defragmenting. An SSD can be trimmed only.

If this is an SSD, I recommend checking the disk health using the utilities supplied with the drive. You can sometimes download them from the manufacturer's website. Western Digital has one for their drivers, for example that will show the wear on the drive. As an SSD wears, they can lose performance. A slow SSD can also mean immanent failure. SSDs can die suddenly!

I would also check a regular drive as well for failures, but you'll have time to back up your data before your drive dies.

I currently have a 1 TB SSD, with about 655 GB available. I've used built-in software as well as DriveDx (just downloaded the trial version), and both said that my SSD is good. I'm not sure if the SSD is the problem, but I might look into it a bit further. Everything else is still very fast, so it might be just a problem with Trainz. Could a reinstall help?

Thanks for letting me know about the SSD though!

EDIT: My problem has been fixed. Clicked on "Create Route", took some time to load Surveyor, left Surveyor, and all the routes showed up. Quit and reopened the game, and everything was fine again. Guess it must've been a glitch! I have recently downloaded the route, "A small piece of Europe", but haven't checked it out yet, but could its overabundance of dependencies caused the issue, since the game needed to cache all of them?

Last edited:
Do you mean on the Driver/Surveyor selection? What happens if you set the top "Source" filter to "installed"?

Yea, it was in the Driver/Surveyor menu. The menu always defaults to "Purchased" for me, and while all of my DLC has been installed, I'd rather have it default to "Installed" - is there somewhere in Settings to change that?

Tried it on "Installed" and it works just fine.

It sounds like content was being cached. If this happens again, click on the Launcher - you can get to it by clicking on the 3-bar menu in Trainz and then clicking on Show Launch Window, then clicking on Show logs. If there's information scrolling by then it's caching and compiling scripts. This process can take quite a bit of time.

For me, the purchased tab loads everything instantly and includes all my installed routes, including my own, in the list. I agree, this should default to installed, or better yet, a recent list showing what we worked on or drove recently.

Can't remember for sure but I think not too long ago people reported an issue on this. The bottom section showing the route cards just kept "spinning" and "spinning" (thinking). I think the next beta/version resolved that. Are you on a beta version or retail release? I'm guessing retail as your timeline does not show plus. What build are you running?

One of the questions might be how many routes do you have installed? In past versions I have found that the more routes installed, the longer it takes to load the selection screen.

1611mac - I'm currently running build 117654. Is there a new update for the retail version?

Forester1 - 89 routes. Probably should delete most of them.

No, for Mac I believe 117654 is the current retail release. That what myTrainz shows anyway (I run Trainz on Windows).

You said above that when you set the filter on "Installed" that things were fine. So you are Ok with that right? I'd be curious as to which filter setting makes it keep spinning. And does "Type" filter make any difference?

I might just install 117654 on my M1 Mini and see what it does...

When it did occur, I think it only really happened with the "Purchased" and "Route" filters, but I'm not sure. I'll definitely try and see if it happens again, and give you more info then. But thank you for everyone's help!

Just curious. How's the game running on your MBP? Does 22 run any better/smoother than 19 on your Mac? (Which MBP do you have?)

I haven't tried TRS19 on my current MBP, but on low to medium specs on a 16" 2021 MBP w/ an M1 Pro and 16 GB UMA, TRS22 runs at a consistent 60 FPS, though the battery (according to Activity Monitor) only lasts 9 hours. It does run impressively though, but I have heard the fans spin up audibly when I set TRS22 to higher settings, just to try it.

Hope this helps!

Back